News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Phylicia Rashad

Started by Sauvignon Blanc, May 13, 2021, 05:57:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahagonny

I hope while people are enjoying Denzel Washington's generosity they will take his example and attitude to heart. Regarding being black or brown in America today, that is. He has the potential to do enormous good if people listen to him.

financeguy

Seems like a potential win/win for her and the school. One of the major acting programs in the city I'm located in is chaired by an actress of similar recognition. I've seen this a few times. It makes me wonder why this seems more common for someone in acting to jump directly into leading/chairing a department rather than teaching their specific craft in a senior level role? Most of the people in the arts I know would not want an administrative position. Any thoughts on this from those in the drama field?

mamselle

I'd trust more of those with background in dramatic productions to be able to manage the multivalent nature of an administrative job, with all its nuts-n-bolts practicalities aligned well to its goals, since that's mostly what theatre work is about.

Actors and singers don't compartmentalize the day-to-day necessities away from the broader mandates of production goals, and they have (if they're good and experienced) a better track record for collaboration and are used to respecting the work of those in adjacent fields and more generously showcasing it, in order to strengthen the whole production.

They may not all be equally good at it, even so.

But by being familiar with the more integrated, organic goals of an ongoing live activity that has to align both internal motivations and external optics with the primary message to be sent, they have a better chance of hitting the ground running, and keeping the vehicle on its tracks and moving forward with grace and deliberation than those with other kinds of expertise.

Mes deux centimes.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

simpleSimon

I can see why one might be dubious about a celebrity taking on this role, but this isn't her first time at the rodeo.  As noted in the article, she has taught master's level classes at several colleges over the years... and doubtless her appointment will spur a stream of donations.  A win win.

mamselle

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Wahoo Redux

We have governors and coaches as university presidents these days.

Why not?

Personally I'd like to see David Lee Roth as the president of Harvard. 
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

lightning

This can work as long as the position is an outward facing position (more about development). If it is more of an inward facing position (more about operations), then it can be problematic with missed opportunities.

secundem_artem

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on May 15, 2021, 09:43:13 PM

Why not?

Only if Iggy Pop were the provost.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

mahagonny

Quote from: secundem_artem on May 17, 2021, 01:39:32 PM

Why not?

Why?

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: mahagonny on May 17, 2021, 02:28:47 PM
Quote from: secundem_artem on May 17, 2021, 01:39:32 PM

Why not?

Why?

Because Rock'n'Roll will never die!!!!

mamselle

A couple of other examples:

Beverly Sills ran Lincoln Center for 8 years, and after a brief retirement, returned to run the Met Opera:

https://www.ocregister.com/2007/09/16/beverly-sills-remembered-at-lincoln-center-tribute/

Phyllis Curtain headed the BU College for the Arts:

https://www.bu.edu/cfa/cfas-phyllis-curtin-mourned/

There's good precedent.

M.

mahagonny

And Ted Nugent?

mamselle

Quote from: mahagonny on May 17, 2021, 06:47:35 PM
And Ted Nugent?

He's a guy.

Everyone knows they can't administrate their way out of a paper bag.

M.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: mamselle on May 17, 2021, 07:10:55 PM
Quote from: mahagonny on May 17, 2021, 06:47:35 PM
And Ted Nugent?

He's a guy.

Everyone knows they can't administrate their way out of a paper bag.

M.

Quite true.

And Ted...well, I loved Ted's bombastic metal mania.  And then he went all sectarian crazy conservative gun-nutty on us.  The guy was a hippy icon, and yet he still wants NRA cred...

There is no place for a man like that in our administration.  Give me Dr. Brian May any day.