News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

advantages of online/hybrid format?

Started by rac, May 19, 2021, 11:36:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rac

After a year of online/hybrid teaching - what pedagogical advantages have you discovered for these teaching formats for graduate (and perhaps undergraduate) teaching? My course preparation was very substantial, creating short videos and writing up lecture notes in advance for use during class time, but the courses appeared to be very well received. I am now considering a petition for continuing this for this year.

adel9216

You can teach from anywhere in the world! :) That's definetly one advantage.

fishbrains

I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

downer

Who are you going to petition? Courses are already scheduled for the fall and their format is set.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: fishbrains on July 02, 2021, 11:30:26 AM
Naps. I'm going to miss my naps.

One of my colleagues kept a cot in his office and he used it too! I'm not sure how good his naps were though. I guess it depends on how many people knocked on his door. He was also next to the bathroom...

the_geneticist

I liked my "commute" of walking to what was our dining table & is now my office.  I like teaching while barefoot.

But those are just minor personal preferences.  My online classes are 1) harder to prep 2) harder to teach and 3) just not nearly the same leaning experience for the students.  I am tired of telling GRADUATE students that they it's rude to "multitask" during seminar classes.  My undergraduate students are overly excited to be back on campus for fall and able to use lab equipment in their classes.  Watching a video of someone else doing a science technique is nowhere near the same as getting to try it for yourself.

ciao_yall

Quote from: rac on May 19, 2021, 11:36:18 PM
After a year of online/hybrid teaching - what pedagogical advantages have you discovered for these teaching formats for graduate (and perhaps undergraduate) teaching? My course preparation was very substantial, creating short videos and writing up lecture notes in advance for use during class time, but the courses appeared to be very well received. I am now considering a petition for continuing this for this year.

Their writing seemed better because they replaced turned-in weekly papers and in-class discussion with discussion posts and responses. They didn't want their classmates to see their lousy writing.

But the overall learning was not very strong - hard to keep taking them to the next level in an online format. And the drop rates were high because of a lack of relationships and connections.

Net net, basically not good for students.

clues

there are so many advantage of online/hybrid format i.e  time management, reviewing this type of format etc

Parasaurolophus

I was forced to automate a lot of my assessments, and that was a net positive for everyone. There's a lot of cheating, but it's good for the students not to have to wait for me to mark and hand back their problem sets. It gives them a chance to raise questions afterwards, post to the forum, or come see me in the following office hours, rather than weeks later when all's already been forgotten.
I know it's a genus.

Caracal

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on July 02, 2021, 02:10:26 PM
Quote from: fishbrains on July 02, 2021, 11:30:26 AM
Naps. I'm going to miss my naps.

One of my colleagues kept a cot in his office and he used it too! I'm not sure how good his naps were though. I guess it depends on how many people knocked on his door. He was also next to the bathroom...

Every once in a while, when I slept poorly the night before, I would just put my bag down as a pillow, lock the door and lie down flat on my back and drift for 20 minutes.

the_geneticist

One of the few advantages was being able to look at the grading & comments from TAs in real time.  It was easier to see if they were following the rubrics (or not).  It's a bit disturbing when grad students have misconceptions about basic biology (e.g. thinking all single called organisms must be bacteria, even though the lab includes LOTS of unicellular eukaryotes like amoebas and paramecium).