Main Menu

June Research

Started by Faith786, June 01, 2021, 08:07:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: traductio on June 11, 2021, 10:34:28 AM
Quote from: Parasaurolophus on June 11, 2021, 09:31:40 AM
Today, I do yesterday's tasks.

My wise-beyond-his-years six-year-old (who loves dinosaurs, the parasaurolophus ranking in the top 5) has spent an inordinate amount of time thinking about, well, time. Tomorrow, he informed me, does not exist, because as soon as it happens, it is today. Neither does yesterday exist, because there is only today. I've asked him some rather probing questions (what is it we remember, then?), to which he has surprisingly thoughtful answers (memories are like dreams, something we imagine and feel like we live, but they're not real).

Anyway, he would contest the idea that today you do yesterday's tasks on metaphysical grounds.

=D

I can't wait until you introduce him to the A-series/B-series debate! He's pretty much already there on his own!

(Also: done!)
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Gonna get a spot more of that referee report done today.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on June 12, 2021, 08:20:17 AM
Gonna get a spot more of that referee report done today.

1300 words and finished by 10h00. Boom!
I know it's a genus.

darkstarrynight

I got the best news yesterday on my stalled project. A colleague at another institution had everything I was missing in my "literature hunt" (seeking issues of a journal that went defunct 15 years ago, and 20+ years of literature is not available because it was never digitized). Now I can actually digitize materials and get them open access so people in my field can have research that is "missing" and not cited because no one had access to it. I am so motivated! I also plan to do a review article of this research so I am aiming to work on that over the next year.

The manuscript due Tuesday is in the hands of a co-author, who promised to do hu's part tomorrow so I can get it submitted by the deadline. Whew!

mamselle

Sounds like you're on a winning streak!

(Intterthreadual, even...!)

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Faith786

Quote from: Faith786 on June 10, 2021, 06:54:04 PM
Quote from: Faith786 on June 08, 2021, 12:48:31 PM
June goals:
-1. revise and resubmit r manuscript June 3
-2. peer review June 5
-3. draft worksheet on definitions/terms/meanings June 3
-4. submit work by June 4
-5. confirm conference paper 1 acceptance, mode of presentation, and agree to be recorded by June 5
-6. confirm conference paper 2 acceptance, mode of presentation, and agree to be recorded by June 5
-7. Update CV to reflect Google Scholar citation count, h-index, and i10 index metrics June 8
-8. Update CV to reflect ResearchGate score June 8
-9. Update CV to reflect Publons review metrics June 8
-10. Update CV to reflect submitted/under review manuscript(s) June 8
-11. Update CV to reflect accepted conference paper 1 June 8
-12. Update CV to reflect accepted conference paper 2 June 8
-13. peer review due June 8
-14. draft interview questions/guide June 10
-15. read ch. 19 June 9
-16. read ch. 20 June 12
-read ch. 42 June 10
-research discussion due June 13
-peer review due June 13
-write another page for item #4 (book chapter) due late July 2021 (now at 5,000 words)
-make chart 2 with dates, inclusion/exclusion criteria, sources, references
-write reflection of article #11 for 2021 project
-summarize timeline chart [drafted in ppt slide], upload p research documents to secure website-make chart 2 with dates, inclusion/exclusion criteria, sources, references
-email title of research presentation for faculty research series due ~June28
-Read/review/summarize relevant paper to add to research library for 2021 project
-Update CV to reflect Google Scholar citation count, h-index, and i10 index metrics by June 18
-Update CV to reflect ResearchGate score June 18
-Update CV to reflect Publons review metrics June 18
-Update CV to reflect submitted/under review manuscript(s) June 18
-peer-review two new manuscripts relevant to research field(s)

Short-term/ongoing goals:
-Try to stay alive, keep calm, and carry on while COVID-19 seems to be going away (finally!) so that research can continue
-Continue drafting item #4 (book chapter) with reading/review of up-to-date literature
-read, revise and email myself item #5 (s manuscript) and get it down to <20-25 pages

Long-term goals:
-apply for research funding

N(complete)=17
I need this grant approved...

Parasaurolophus

Looks like my touchpad is totally dead, so I may be on forced holiday this week while I sort it out. I first need to acquire a new external mouse to see whether it's my current one that's dead, or whether those USB ports have kicked the bucket, too.

Sigh. It's not even an old computer, and my last one of this brand was the best evs. But this one has really struggled.
I know it's a genus.

Faith786

Quote from: Faith786 on June 13, 2021, 10:57:19 AM
June goals:
-2. peer review June 5
-5. confirm conference paper 1 acceptance, mode of presentation, and agree to be recorded by June 5
-6. confirm conference paper 2 acceptance, mode of presentation, and agree to be recorded by June 5
-7. Update CV to reflect Google Scholar citation count, h-index, and i10 index metrics June 8
-15. read ch. 19 June 9
-16. read ch. 20 June 12
-17. research discussion due June 13
-18. write another page for item #4 (book chapter) due late July 2021 (now at 5,000 words)
-read ch. 42 June 13
-read ch. 39
-read ch. 46
-read ch. 30
-peer review due June 13
-write another page for item #4 (book chapter) due late July 2021 (now at 6,000 words)
-summarize timeline chart [drafted in ppt slide], upload p research documents to secure website-make chart 2 with dates, inclusion/exclusion criteria, sources, references
-Read/review/summarize relevant paper to add to research library for 2021 project
-Update CV to reflect Google Scholar citation count, h-index, and i10 index metrics by June 18

-Try to stay alive, keep calm, and carry on while COVID-19 seems to be going away (finally!) so that research can continue
-Continue drafting item #4 (book chapter) with reading/review of up-to-date literature
-read, revise and email myself item #5 (s manuscript) and get it down to <20-25 pages

Long-term goals:

N(complete)=19

Parasaurolophus

My touchpad decided to work for a bit, so I started working on the July R&R. The amount of work that's needed is not as bad as I thought, but I also don't really know how to do what the referees want.
I know it's a genus.

Sun_Worshiper

Today was my first weekday back from a two week vacation, so I hadn't done any research this month until today (and not much today). Here are some goals for the next couple of weeks:
(1) Make progress on paper 1, which should be ready to submit to a journal by the end of July - if not sooner
(2) Make progress on paper 2, which is just a short piece based on some earlier work that I published last year - should also be ready to send off within a month or so
(3) Make progress on some off-the-shelf data collection for papers 3 and/or 4
(4) Do some outlining on papers 5, 6, and/or book chapter that I've been asked to write

I'm hoping to really get into the zone one of these papers and just bury my head in it.

I'll also have to deal with any R&Rs or rejections that come my way, but cautiously optimistic that editors will leave me alone until July.

mamselle

Getting more tiny bits done.

More larger bits to go.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Parasaurolophus

Did a very tiny bit on July R&R.
I know it's a genus.

Faith786

Quote from: Faith786 on June 14, 2021, 09:40:56 AM
June goals:
-2. peer review June 5
-15. read ch. 19 June 9
-16. read ch. 20 June 12
-17. research discussion due June 13
-18. write another page for item #4 (book chapter) due late July 2021 (now at 5,000 words)
-19. peer review June 15 (late, oops!)
-20. review and revise references for final draft of manuscript June 15
-read ch. 42 June 13
-read ch. 39
-read ch. 46
-read ch. 30
-peer review June 22
-write another page for item #4 (book chapter) due late July 2021 (now at 6,000 words)

Long-term goals:

N(complete)=21

Parasaurolophus

Today I'm correcting article proofs. Annoyingly, they seem to have used my penultimate draft.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on June 16, 2021, 08:32:22 AM
Today I'm correcting article proofs. Annoyingly, they seem to have used my penultimate draft.

I've seen that in work done for editing clients.

What are they thinking!!!!!!????????

M.