News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Fall 2021 Enrollment numbers

Started by dr_codex, June 09, 2021, 10:45:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paddington_bear

(I haven't been on this site in ages!) Paddington U's enrollment is down about 50 from last year. But we're at approx. 3800, which is just continuing our downward slide. Our enrollment has declined by almost 2000 in the past 10 years. I don't know if I'm qualified to do anything else and I'm not sure my school is going to be around until I retire (I'm currently 51).  :/

clean

QuoteI'm not sure my school is going to be around until I retire (I'm currently 51).  :/

Especially in the Days of Covid, Sometimes we choose when to retire, and sometimes the choice is made for us. 

I hope that you have a choice, but I suggest that you pad your savings position as much as you are able.  Your world has been issued a Hurricane Watch, (get out your helmet), and are facing an impending Hurricane Warning (put your helmet on) moment. 

The good news is that at 51 you can increase your maximum contribution to your 401k/403b to 26,000. 
Looking forward, if you can hang on until 55, you can access those funds penalty free at 55.  (You can access your 401/403 amounts at 55 from your last employer's accounts.... In other words, whatever you are contributing to This employer NOW can be accessed at 55 if you quit or laid off - but there are some rule complexities, so for instance, DO NOT convert those accounts to an IRA or you will have to wait until 59 1/2 to access the accounts penalty free).

Sorry to divert this thread, but as I said, A Storm IS Coming!
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

mamselle

Quote from: paddington_bear on September 02, 2021, 11:45:12 AM
(I haven't been on this site in ages!) Paddington U's enrollment is down about 50 from last year. But we're at approx. 3800, which is just continuing our downward slide. Our enrollment has declined by almost 2000 in the past 10 years. I don't know if I'm qualified to do anything else and I'm not sure my school is going to be around until I retire (I'm currently 51).  :/

Welcome, Paddington!! Good to see your moniker.

Sorry for the upsetting stats, though.

Can you....drive trains?

<<...ducks and runs in the general direction of Oxford Circus...>>

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

paddington_bear

Quote from: clean on September 02, 2021, 12:27:17 PM
QuoteI'm not sure my school is going to be around until I retire (I'm currently 51).  :/

Especially in the Days of Covid, Sometimes we choose when to retire, and sometimes the choice is made for us. 

I hope that you have a choice, but I suggest that you pad your savings position as much as you are able.  Your world has been issued a Hurricane Watch, (get out your helmet), and are facing an impending Hurricane Warning (put your helmet on) moment. 

The good news is that at 51 you can increase your maximum contribution to your 401k/403b to 26,000. 
Looking forward, if you can hang on until 55, you can access those funds penalty free at 55.  (You can access your 401/403 amounts at 55 from your last employer's accounts.... In other words, whatever you are contributing to This employer NOW can be accessed at 55 if you quit or laid off - but there are some rule complexities, so for instance, DO NOT convert those accounts to an IRA or you will have to wait until 59 1/2 to access the accounts penalty free).

Sorry to divert this thread, but as I said, A Storm IS Coming!

Thanks for the financial info! I'm not really interested in retiring at 55 (unless I win the lottery). And I'd rather it not be a "forced" retirement, of course.

Quote from: mamselle on September 02, 2021, 02:15:27 PM

Can you....drive trains?

M.

Hello! Do they pay to eat marmalade? I actually don't like marmalade (or jam or jellly) so that would be of no help. :)

lightning

Quote from: mamselle on September 02, 2021, 02:15:27 PM
Quote from: paddington_bear on September 02, 2021, 11:45:12 AM

Can you....drive trains?

M.

Railroad bosses are trying to cut those jobs, from 3 on a train to only 1.

mamselle

In the US, or the UK, though?

The 4.50 to Paddington usually has a full complement of conductors and engineers, according to Miss Marple....

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Parasaurolophus

We've cancelled three more in the winter.

Surprise surprise, the in-person courses are the ones struggling with enrollment. Why didn't we decide to offer more online, you ask? Because reasons. :rolleyes:

I know it's a genus.

Vkw10

Preliminary numbers say freshman enrollment is up from last fall, about the same as two years ago.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

bio-nonymous

Over the summer we were told that enrollment was the same or slightly up; real numbers released this fall indicate almost 3% decline in enrollment. With our size that is around a 1000 students...

Golazo

We have shed several hundred students, something like a loss of 7%. This adds to some pre-pandemic losses. We are not going to close, because we are the only university (and public at that) in the growing region of our state. But we've got to manage to recruit better than we do or some people are going to lose their jobs. I'm not optimistic because most of what the conversation has been about is getting better consultants. I ran an event that brought a couple hundred high school students on campus a couple of months before the pandemic and admissions couldn't manage to sent anyone to the event.