Supreme Court rules 9-0 against NCAA regarding college athletes

Started by Cheerful, June 21, 2021, 08:01:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cheerful

"Nowhere else in America can businesses get away with agreeing not to pay their workers a fair market rate on the theory that their product is defined by not paying their workers a fair market rate," Kavanaugh wrote. "And under ordinary principles of antitrust law, it is not evident why college sports should be any different. The NCAA is not above the law."

spork

Quote from: Cheerful on June 21, 2021, 08:01:59 AM

"Nowhere else in America can businesses get away with agreeing not to pay their workers a fair market rate on the theory that their product is defined by not paying their workers a fair market rate," Kavanaugh wrote. "And under ordinary principles of antitrust law, it is not evident why college sports should be any different. The NCAA is not above the law."

Finally. The NCAA and D1 universities are rent-seeking organizations that treat "student-athletes" as bonded labor.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

dismalist

While the decision is narrowly tailored to barring limits on educational benefits that can be given athletes, many states have already passed laws to necessarily allow pay to athletes.

Kavanaugh's concurring opinion is riotous: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/06/21/supreme-court-rules-against-ncaa-in-landmark-antitrust-case/

Aside from removing an injustice, the decision and state laws will make college athletics more expensive and less widespread. :-)
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Ruralguy

I have the feeling that this is going to bring on some unintended consequences.

spork

Quote from: Ruralguy on June 21, 2021, 10:52:34 AM

I'm hoping it causes the costs of D1 athletic programs to spiral even further out of control, to the extent that universities are forced to choose between bankruptcy and leaving D1.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

dismalist

Quote from: spork on June 21, 2021, 10:58:46 AM

I'm hoping it causes the costs of D1 athletic programs to spiral even further out of control, to the extent that universities are forced to choose between bankruptcy and leaving D1.

Yo!
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Durchlässigkeitsbeiwert

Merely ending the charade of athletic programs "earning" money for their universities should be enough.

I wonder if escalating amenities for players (at least in the richest programs) would make other students less willing to subsidise this through all kinds of athletic fees.

dismalist

Quote from: Durchlässigkeitsbeiwert on June 21, 2021, 12:57:57 PM
Merely ending the charade of athletic programs "earning" money for their universities should be enough.

I wonder if escalating amenities for players (at least in the richest programs) would make other students less willing to subsidise this through all kinds of athletic fees.

Yes.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Hibush

It will definitely increase the divide between wealth schools and less wealthy, the divide between high-revenue sports and other sports, and between telegenic top athletes and other athletes. It is not clear whether that is the intent of the plaintiffs, but those who know where their bread is buttered see where there is more butter.

dismalist

Quote from: Hibush on June 21, 2021, 01:56:22 PM

It will definitely increase the divide between wealth schools and less wealthy, the divide between high-revenue sports and other sports, and between telegenic top athletes and other athletes. It is not clear whether that is the intent of the plaintiffs, but those who know where their bread is buttered see where there is more butter.

And the poorer, black students get more cash. The wealthy schools would have to pay more. More equality! Wonderful!
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

apl68

Remarkable (and kind of nice) to see the Supreme Court issue a unanimous opinion on ANYTHING!
For our light affliction, which is only for a moment, works for us a far greater and eternal weight of glory.  We look not at the things we can see, but at those we can't.  For the things we can see are temporary, but those we can't see are eternal.

Durchlässigkeitsbeiwert

Quote from: dismalist on June 21, 2021, 01:59:12 PM
And the poorer, black students get more cash. The wealthy schools would have to pay more. More equality! Wonderful!

One negative unintended consequence may be that, having a pay-out closer at sight, more students from poorer backgrounds may try their luck as "walk-ons" (concept introduced to me by the certain Netflix show) with ruinous consequences for their financial well-being and, possibly, their entire life trajectory

marshwiggle

Quote from: Durchlässigkeitsbeiwert on June 22, 2021, 08:04:26 AM
Quote from: dismalist on June 21, 2021, 01:59:12 PM

One negative unintended consequence may be that, having a pay-out closer at sight, more students from poorer backgrounds may try their luck as "walk-ons" (concept introduced to me by the certain Netflix show) with ruinous consequences for their financial well-being and, possibly, their entire life trajectory

Is that really any different than the students who go into massive debt to attend "elite" institutions, or people who self-fund (a.k.a. go into debt) for graduate programs thinking it will be the golden ticket?

It takes so little to be above average.

Durchlässigkeitsbeiwert

Quote from: marshwiggle on June 22, 2021, 08:08:07 AM
Is that really any different than the students who go into massive debt to attend "elite" institutions, or people who self-fund (a.k.a. go into debt) for graduate programs thinking it will be the golden ticket?
No, but similarity between "debt-financed walk-on" and "debt-financed phd" does not make either practice  more acceptable.