Supreme Court rules 9-0 against NCAA regarding college athletes

Started by Cheerful, June 21, 2021, 08:01:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahagonny

Quote from: Ruralguy on June 23, 2021, 11:06:10 AM
I don't know about most schools, but every year people petition to create tenure track faculty positions. Replacements for retirees mostly get renewed. Growth positions are actually rare, and even more rare in depts. that haven't shown explosive growth (only even close to being true for 1 or 2 departments). These decision get made based on advice to the Dean from tenured faculty. So, effectively, we turn down tenure track growth every single year.

I would say our salaries are OK at my school. Without COL adjustment, we're just above average, maybe a bit more so for certain categories, but that always shifts with time.

Salaries (and other compensation) are almost going to be the biggest budget outlay. That's hardly unique to faculty, but yeah, if salaries go up just a small amount its probably going to mean a tuition increase (though, that's backwards of our common practice---we don't raise salaries until we know we have much larger enrollment at the same tuition rate). How misbalanced this is between upper admin and certain coaches is highly dependent on the type of school.

You're doing what faculty do when the question comes up. Comparing salaries and pensions at your school with those of other schools. That's not what Old Joe was putting his foot in his mouth about. He meant the entire culture breeds unneeded expense by making 'research universities' where a simple college would have been fine, Nobel Prize contenders where dedicated, qualified people without the ultimate in charisma and notoriety would have been fine. This kind of thought process is generally considered impossible, if even considered of at all, but the presence of so many adjuncts with PhD and others like myself who far outperform tenured faculty in other ways that bring benefit to students suggests otherwise.
He's not as loopy as he sounds.
QuoteLets just say very very few are going to be retiring with 6 figure salaries
Do you have any idea how obscene this sounds to the average American 9-5 er?
QuoteWe have many full time adjuncts, and their pay is decent. Well above 25K, I can say that.
Red herring maybe, but interesting to know. What about your faculty who have to work under a 'part-time' designation?

mleok

Quote from: mahagonny on June 23, 2021, 11:48:27 AM
QuoteLets just say very very few are going to be retiring with 6 figure salaries
Do you have any idea how obscene this sounds to the average American 9-5 er?

Well, my most recent PhD student's first job offer was for $250K/year, so I'm taking a substantial pay cut by choosing to be a full professor.

Anselm

I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

research_prof

Here you go: https://www.nber.org/papers/w27734

I can see 18-year old kids making 10x more than the compensation of a faculty member in a few years.

dismalist

Quote from: research_prof on July 05, 2021, 06:59:34 PM

I can see 18-year old kids making 10x more than the compensation of a faculty member in a few years.

Yo!

An economist accusing someone of rent-seeking is like saying s/he should die in a fire.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

research_prof

Quote from: dismalist on July 05, 2021, 07:04:28 PM

Yo!

An economist accusing someone of rent-seeking is like saying s/he should die in a fire.

Have no clue about what the norms among economists are—I just looked at the numbers presented in table 9.

dismalist

Quote from: research_prof on July 05, 2021, 07:07:15 PM

Yo!

Have no clue about what the norms among economists are—I just looked at the numbers presented in table 9.

Thank you. I love it! At the very least, the table indicates what's at stake.

Everyone can opine for themselves who deserves how much, but I like the numbers in the table as dollars going to the majorly producers of those profits, the kids.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

research_prof

Quote from: dismalist on July 05, 2021, 07:41:46 PM

Yo!

Everyone can opine for themselves who deserves how much, but I like the numbers in the table as dollars going to the majorly producers of those profits, the kids.

Fair. But should not the same apply to grant dollars? Should not most of the money go to the investigator, whose research brought the money?

Sorry for ranting.. just tired of paying so much indirect cost and having a limited amount of summer salary..

dismalist

Quote from: research_prof on July 05, 2021, 07:46:41 PM
Quote from: dismalist on July 05, 2021, 07:41:46 PM

Yo!

Fair. But should not the same apply to grant dollars? Should not most of the money go to the investigator, whose research brought the money?

Sorry for ranting.. just tired of paying so much indirect cost and having a limited amount of summer salary..

I only spoke for my own opinion about the distribution of those dollars to the athlete kids. I have no clue how much cash it is efficient to pay a PI, nor how much for a Summer's work or teaching.

Like two year olds, we all say we want more. As we get older, only the verbiage defending this position gets more sophisticated. :-)
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Hibush

Quote from: IHEUniversity of Alabama sophomore quarterback Bryce Young has earned close to $1 million in endorsement deals. College athletes in Alabama and a number of states have been able to legally earn revenue from their name, image and likeness since July 1. Young, who is expected to be Alabama's starting quarterback this year, has not yet started a game for Alabama

Not bad for three weeks on the job, and still in the onboarding phase.

I've been predicting that the elite will get rich and the nonelite will get less than they do now.

dismalist

Quote from: Hibush on July 21, 2021, 03:19:57 PM
Quote from: IHEUniversity of Alabama sophomore quarterback Bryce Young has earned close to $1 million in endorsement deals. College athletes in Alabama and a number of states have been able to legally earn revenue from their name, image and likeness since July 1. Young, who is expected to be Alabama's starting quarterback this year, has not yet started a game for Alabama

I've been predicting that the elite will get rich and the nonelite will get less than they do now.

Players will not get less than now. The others worry me not.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Mobius

When did colleges start playing football and when did the first caterwauling about how such-and-such ruins the game occurred? The gap couldn't have been more than a few years.

Hibush

Quote from: dismalist on July 21, 2021, 05:08:54 PM
Quote from: Hibush on July 21, 2021, 03:19:57 PM

Players will not get less than now. The others worry me not.

While players don't get paid, they still get coaches, playing venues and travel. Players will lose those those things if they are not at a college with a high-profile sports program or participate in a non-revenue sport. I also predict that there will be no endorsement revenue for about fifty of Mr. Young's Alabama teammates.

That last point brings up the question of how much revenue sharing Mr. Young will need to do to assure that his O line blocks every pass rush. There are pay disparities in the pros, but everyone gets paid as much as they can negotiate.

Durchlässigkeitsbeiwert

Quote from: Hibush on July 22, 2021, 02:48:42 AM
While players don't get paid, they still get coaches, playing venues and travel. Players will lose those those things if they are not at a college with a high-profile sports program or participate in a non-revenue sport. I also predict that there will be no endorsement revenue for about fifty of Mr. Young's Alabama teammates.
That last point brings up the question of how much revenue sharing Mr. Young will need to do to assure that his O line blocks every pass rush. There are pay disparities in the pros, but everyone gets paid as much as they can negotiate.
I wonder if players retaining 100% of such windfall is a transient effect of a change in rules. I.e. universities will change letter of their offers to take a cut from new players, but the players who signed up before the ruling will keep everything.
I suspect that a university taking a cut of endorsement money may be even welcomed by the brands as it gives such university a monetary incentive to ensure that "expected quarterback" actually plays as one.

onthefringe

Quote from: Durchlässigkeitsbeiwert on July 22, 2021, 04:42:15 AM
Quote from: Hibush on July 22, 2021, 02:48:42 AM
I wonder if players retaining 100% of such windfall is a transient effect of a change in rules. I.e. universities will change letter of their offers to take a cut from new players, but the players who signed up before the ruling will keep everything.
I suspect that a university taking a cut of endorsement money may be even welcomed by the brands as it gives such university a monetary incentive to ensure that "expected quarterback" actually plays as one.

Taking a cut might create an employer:employee relationship, and I'm not sure most places would want that. And if the university is actively involved with branding for some athletes and not others, that might open them up to TitleIX concerns? So I'd guess Universities are unlikely to actively take a cut.