News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Student Mental Health and Course Completion

Started by evil_physics_witchcraft, July 02, 2021, 11:38:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

evil_physics_witchcraft

So, one of my students who has contacted me sporadically about meeting, but always misses the meetings, just unloaded a lot of information concerning stu's mental health including suicidal thoughts and attempts. Stu wants to make up half a semester's work (turned in zero lab reports, but took the midterm exam). I don't want to sound insensitive and just say no (which I would never do). How would you handle this situation? Today is the drop date and I sent the email up the chain.

arcturus

While the decision as to what to do about missed work is in your control, the overall situation with the student is beyond your scope as a professor (unless you have special training). I would absolutely notify student support services and defer the decision regarding the academic issues until the mental health issues have been addressed. For example, your university student support office should be able to handle a retro-active course withdrawal, if that is the appropriate action. In the meantime, you can consider offering the student an incomplete, thereby removing the stress of immediate deadlines. However, even if that is your plan, I would work with student support office first, rather than making a decision on my own.

Charlotte

Will they also be trying to make up a half semester of work in their other classes or is yours the only one they fell behind?

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: Charlotte on July 02, 2021, 11:47:17 AM
Will they also be trying to make up a half semester of work in their other classes or is yours the only one they fell behind?

This is what I am trying to determine. Apparently the student is taking 6 classes???

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: arcturus on July 02, 2021, 11:46:17 AM
While the decision as to what to do about missed work is in your control, the overall situation with the student is beyond your scope as a professor (unless you have special training). I would absolutely notify student support services and defer the decision regarding the academic issues until the mental health issues have been addressed. For example, your university student support office should be able to handle a retro-active course withdrawal, if that is the appropriate action. In the meantime, you can consider offering the student an incomplete, thereby removing the stress of immediate deadlines. However, even if that is your plan, I would work with student support office first, rather than making a decision on my own.

Thanks. I was heading that route, but just feel a little discombobulated from the email.

Puget

Quote from: arcturus on July 02, 2021, 11:46:17 AM

This--express care and concern, let them know you are referring them and do so (at my place, I would be making a call to the counseling center to make an urgent referral as well as filling out a care team report form), and say you can talk about academic issues once they are doing better in terms of their mental health. Now is not the time to talk about academic options, and others can weigh in on that. Here it would probably be an incomplete or a withdrawal from the term (so it is like the semester never happened, as far as their transcript is concerned) depending on how much work was missed and what is deemed best for the student.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

downer

I'd forward the concerning messages to the dept chair and ask for direction. I might also add in my message that I did not support the option of the student trying to finish the course because it is unrealistic.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

evil_physics_witchcraft

I have called a lot of people today. Got in touch with a counselor and they will contact the student. Emailed the student. Emailed a bunch of other people. Some displayed an appalling lack of empathy.

clean

First, emailing the higher ups is the first administrative thing to do, and you have done that.  It is a holiday weekend in the summer so it may be hard to get additional help.  IF the student is discussing suicide, is there an external source you can contact?  I lived in Florida long, long ago, and there is a Baker Act that would allow for the non university authorities to intervene to ensure the student's well being.  These non campus authorities would not be as difficult to find on a holiday weekend. 
The Baker Act, IF I recall, can allow the state to
"The Florida Baker Act law allows doctors, mental health professionals, judges, and law enforcement to commit a person to a mental health treatment center for up to 72 hours if they display certain violent or suicidal signs of mental illness"  Better Safe Than Sorry!

Second, for the course issues, What does the Syllabus Say?  Here, to get an Incomplete, the student must be passing the course.  However, they may qualify for a hardship withdraw, which may (or may not) involve a refund of fees.    IS an "I" an option on your syllabus?

Third, make sure that you alert your Department Chair, university police, University health center, and Dean of Students.  Ask each for advice! "What should I do next?"

The student has not completed any labs. Can they pass?  They took the midterm.  Did they pass?  IF the answer is no to either (or both), then the best solution, administratively, is to support the student's request for a Withdrawal From the University (that will get them out of all classes for the term, and may help with a refund).  It is a summer class.  There is time to make this class (these classes) up and not extend the student's graduation date (by much anyway), and that is the least of the problems.  Get them healthy and they will be able to progress more quickly and efficiently later!

anyway, those are the steps that I have taken.  (Except I am not in Florida, so I left the commitment decisions to the U. Health service folks!)

good luck and I am glad you are helping, but sorry that this will likely come at a personal toll to you as you wont know much yourself on a holiday weekend!
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Puget

QuoteIF the student is discussing suicide, is there an external source you can contact? 
If by "external source" you mean calling 911, I would not do this unless (a) the university is really not acting (nearly all have 24/7 emergency response for mental health crises-- someone is on call) and (b) the student may be at immediate risk. Why? Because unfortunately the "external source" that responds will almost always be the police, who are almost always woefully untrained to deal with suicidal people and can do a lot more harm than good.

In this case it sounds like the campus counseling center is on the job, as they should be, so you can safely leave it with them.

Suicidal thoughts should always be taken seriously, but they are quite common in young adults and most do not act on them. Telling someone about them is a good sign and reduces the chances of an actual attempt. Involuntary commitment would be a last resort and really unnecessary and harmful in most cases. The therapist will do a risk assessment with the student and determine an appropriate course of action.

"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."

mamselle

No direct suggestions but all good thoughts and support to you as you work through this.

Clearly the student trusts you to be so open, which speaks well of the pastoral dimension of your relationship with them.

Keep a balance for yourself in terms of self-care, gentleness for your own needs, and staying in touch with the student as required.

The lack of empathy encountered is unfortunate, hoping a useful path emerges that helps you and the student resolve the issues.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Update:

I got in touch with the Counseling Center and they contacted the student (the counselor just emailed me to let me know). I know that I'm a bit upset by the entire process. I've also dealt with suicidal people in the past (family and ex) and this just brings up bad memories. But, it's not about me. Hopefully the student will get the help that stu needs.

mamselle

Good for you.

Warm bath? Nice walk? Special dinner?

Something to ease the stress after all that would be good. It may not be 'about' you but your feelings were clearly involved.

Everytime such issues come up, there are remembered repercussions for those of us who have been through them before.

Continued good thoughts.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: mamselle on July 02, 2021, 02:35:29 PM
Good for you.

Warm bath? Nice walk? Special dinner?

Something to ease the stress after all that would be good. It may not be 'about' you but your feelings were clearly involved.

Everytime such issues come up, there are remembered repercussions for those of us who have been through them before.

Continued good thoughts.

M.

I think a walk, or some puttering among plants is warranted. What gets me is that there is no advertised training in my department on how to help these students. They really need to put the word out on who to contact.

Puget

Glad the situation is in hand, and you're thinking about how to take care of yourself. Sounds like you did everything right.

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on July 02, 2021, 02:47:42 PM
I think a walk, or some puttering among plants is warranted. What gets me is that there is no advertised training in my department on how to help these students. They really need to put the word out on who to contact.

That's quite reprehensible. Best practice is to have a single, clear, point of contact that then mobilizes a care team. In our case that's a care report form you fill out, with reports monitored 24/7.

I also wouldn't hesitate (and have) directly called the counseling center as well though. Even in non-emergency situations they are happy to consult with faculty who have concerns about a student. In a few cases when the student was actually with me in office hours, I offered to call for them about an urgent walk-in appointment and then walk them over to the counseling center and help them check in at the front desk, and these offers were accepted with relief-- students who disclose mental health issues to faculty are generally asking for help connecting to care, even if they don't outright say it, and doing those things on their own can seem completely overwhelming to someone in crisis.