Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Student Mental Health and Course Completion

Started by evil_physics_witchcraft, July 02, 2021, 11:38:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spork

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on July 06, 2021, 06:54:25 PM
Quote from: Ruralguy on July 06, 2021, 04:58:29 PM
If you gave them the students name,  then they went from there. All they really should tell you is that they are on it.

Actually, I gave the student's name to the Counseling Center. I'm just surprised that the Dean of Students didn't call back.

This is why I recommended sending the email. It puts everyone else on notice and is written evidence that you did what you are supposed to do.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

Ruralguy

Call your boss (or the appropriate baby Dean). Let them know of the scenario, what you did, and then ask for their assistance in the matter.  Without a good system in place, bosses have to call bosses, or nothing gets done.

marshwiggle

I just realized an issue that arises in this discussion; namely, whether a situation like this is primarily an academic situation, with mental health consequences, or whether it is primarily a mental health situation, with academic consequences.

I see it as the former, which is why I'd refer the student to the Dean's office for academic advice where they could involve counselling services if needed, but I think others may see it the other way around.

Any thoughts?
It takes so little to be above average.

downer

The faculty member's role is academic, not counseling. It is not the faculty member's job to provide any kind of mental health services. It is important to alert those whose job is to provide help that the student is apparently in crisis. Once that is done, the faculty member's obligation is discharged, and indeed, it might be irresponsible to go beyond the academic role.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

Puget

Quote from: marshwiggle on July 07, 2021, 05:43:07 AM
I just realized an issue that arises in this discussion; namely, whether a situation like this is primarily an academic situation, with mental health consequences, or whether it is primarily a mental health situation, with academic consequences.

I see it as the former, which is why I'd refer the student to the Dean's office for academic advice where they could involve counselling services if needed, but I think others may see it the other way around.

Any thoughts?

As soon as a student divulges suicidal thoughts, it is automatically the latter, and faculty have an immediate responsibility to alert the appropriate people. Academics come a distant second, to be sorted out later.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

spork

Quote from: Puget on July 07, 2021, 06:14:35 AM

Any thoughts?

As soon as a student divulges suicidal thoughts, it is automatically the latter, and faculty have an immediate responsibility to alert the appropriate people. Academics come a distant second, to be sorted out later.

If you are in a mandatory reporter environment, even more reason for sending an email, rather than only calling. Protect yourself with documentary evidence.
It's terrible writing, used to obfuscate the fact that the authors actually have nothing to say.

marshwiggle

Any thoughts?

One of the most common scenarios I've heard for students in distress is when they are in a program (or even at university in the first place) because that's what their parents want. They don't enjoy it and they're stressed out. Solutions for these students need to start with re-evaluating their academic situation. (They may benefit from counselling about how to deal with parents, but fixing the academic mismatch will alleviate most of the strain.)

On the other hand, I've seen students who have issues like anxiety and depression which they have had since before university, and may even be registered with the special needs office because of it. In these cases it's pretty clear the mental health issues affect everything else, and so need to be the focus.
It takes so little to be above average.

AvidReader

Quote from: Puget on July 05, 2021, 05:44:03 PM
I think the point still holds that withdrawing is not always the best for the student-- having purpose, structure and social contact can be really important. The key thing is each student should get help making the decision that's best for them, rather than being forced to withdraw as the only option.

A lot of institutions used to force students to leave if they disclosed suicidal thoughts (for liability reasons mostly, though of course they claimed it was for the students' own good) which was really bad-- it kept students from seeking help, and being forced to leave made things much worse for many students. That's mostly a thing of the past (thanks to some successful lawsuits for discrimination under the ADA, and other cases that established institutions mostly can't be held liable of a student does commit suicide on campus), but some places still heavily pressure students to withdraw.

I agree with you that withdrawing is not always the best option, and didn't mean for my initial post to read that way. I mentioned the administrative/health withdrawals because many of my students don't know that those variations exist and are worried about the financial impact of regular withdrawals. When I am able to meet with students in these sorts of scenarios, I point out that they have a lot of different options: finish all their classes on time, finish all/some classes after the semester (depending on incomplete rules), finish some classes, or withdraw and re-start another semester. I wasn't aware of those other options as a college student until the semester in which I really needed them, and I was grateful to learn that those were available.

I had no idea about the latter. That is horrifying.

AR.

Caracal

Quote from: marshwiggle on July 07, 2021, 07:33:38 AM

Any thoughts?

One of the most common scenarios I've heard for students in distress is when they are in a program (or even at university in the first place) because that's what their parents want. They don't enjoy it and they're stressed out. Solutions for these students need to start with re-evaluating their academic situation. (They may benefit from counselling about how to deal with parents, but fixing the academic mismatch will alleviate most of the strain.)

Sure. There's an important distinction between discussing issues with students that involve mental health and trying to take on the underlying problems. I've had students who've talked about having anxiety issues and how it can cause them problems when they write papers. In those situations I'm happy to talk to students and give them some general pointers about how they can think about writing and manage their process in ways that might help. That isn't the same as giving mental health advice.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Student contacted me again and still wants to make up the entire course. Stu also mentioned that stu can't retake the class due to financial reasons and is 'better now' that stu had some counseling. Stu also said that it would crush them if stu couldn't finish this course and that stu 'wouldn't be able to handle it.' I have forwarded the email to my Chair. Any suggestions here on how to proceed?

Puget

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on July 09, 2021, 02:14:37 PM
Student contacted me again and still wants to make up the entire course. Stu also mentioned that stu can't retake the class due to financial reasons and is 'better now' that stu had some counseling. Stu also said that it would crush them if stu couldn't finish this course and that stu 'wouldn't be able to handle it.' I have forwarded the email to my Chair. Any suggestions here on how to proceed?

I would ask to have a joint meeting with the student and their academic advisor and/or dean of students (and maybe your chair)-- you don't want to be flying solo on this. I would keep my email reply non-committal, scheduling the meeting and saying you'll discuss what is feasible and best for Stu together then.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

Ruralguy

Get a representative from academic deans office as well as DoS to meet with you and Chair and adviser. Keep the emails. If no one responds, just do what you wish to do that is within the rules, but that should be a last resort.

clean

What does your syllabus say about make up work?

Follow the syllabus.

(I dont have to deal with labs, but I dont accept late work as a general guideline.  I dont do make up quizzes (there are enough that we drop some... dont miss more than you can drop!).  I dont do make up exams (the final replaces the missed exam -- dont miss more than one!)

I am sorry that you are dealing with this.  The student has essentially made a threat that you have to deal with.  You dont want to enforce your syllabus rules because you fear that the student will do harm to themselves and you will have some sort of guilt over the result. 

Unfortunately, no one wants to be 'the bad guy' and say 'no' this can not be done. 

Hopefully the student will get some help with his/her problems and realize that things are not as bad as they think, and that there are resolutions to their perceived problems (maybe there is a loan or grant that they could apply for)
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

spork

Isn't the semester over? The student failed the course, and is trying to insinuate that you will be at fault if they commit suicide. Again, forward email simultaneously to multiple higher authorities to establish a document trail. State that student is clearly not in a position to succeed academically in your course and needs intervention.

Or, bow to student's repeated attempts at extortion until he/she gets the grade he/she wants.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: spork on July 09, 2021, 05:41:28 PM

Isn't the semester over? The student failed the course, and is trying to insinuate that you will be at fault if they commit suicide. Again, forward email simultaneously to multiple higher authorities to establish a document trail. State that student is clearly not in a position to succeed academically in your course and needs intervention.

Or, bow to student's repeated attempts at extortion until he/she gets the grade he/she wants.

The summer semester is over in about two weeks. I have contacted my Chair about this and my Chair will support me in whatever I do. I have a paper trail and plenty of documentation.

Clean: I do accept late work, but there is a penalty per day. This student has missed over half the work and I plan to tell stu (again) that it is too late to turn it in. This situation has rattled me a bit. I had an ex who used suicide as a way to hurt me and he told me as much, so I take this sort of thing very seriously. I feel bad for the student, but I won't be bent over a barrel.