News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Student Mental Health and Course Completion

Started by evil_physics_witchcraft, July 02, 2021, 11:38:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clean

QuoteI don't love those kind of policies...

Some of us do!  In economics the discussion would be "rules vs discretion".  When the policies are clear, there are fewer chances for problems, pleading students, and potential opportunities for discrimination (or charges of it).  Even with clear rules, there is room for adjustment... IF a student has a medical issue, for instance, my university, anyway, has an office that will document the existence of the issue and help coordinate with all of the student's professors.  This can be used to allow for exceptions. 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Ruralguy

It makes sense to spell out policies, and then go back on them yourself if you feel you need to or let an administrator overrule you.

marshwiggle

Quote from: clean on July 23, 2021, 09:11:08 AM
QuoteI don't love those kind of policies...

Some of us do!  In economics the discussion would be "rules vs discretion".  When the policies are clear, there are fewer chances for problems, pleading students, and potential opportunities for discrimination (or charges of it).  Even with clear rules, there is room for adjustment... IF a student has a medical issue, for instance, my university, anyway, has an office that will document the existence of the issue and help coordinate with all of the student's professors.  This can be used to allow for exceptions.

That makes sense, because it deals with issues affecting all of the student's classes consistently.

How consistently you apply your rules indicates how much you respect your conscientious students who will take the rules at face value and will not expect exceptions just because they want them.
It takes so little to be above average.

Caracal

Quote from: Ruralguy on July 23, 2021, 10:43:41 AM
It makes sense to spell out policies, and then go back on them yourself if you feel you need to or let an administrator overrule you.

Sure, I usually include something specifying that I'm happy to work with students encountering issues. I'm just not sure I really understand the argument in this case that "those are the rules." Has the student not contacted anyone in the dean of student's office? Have you suggested they do that?

I'm not suggesting you need to let the student do all the work at the end here. It sounds like that probably isn't reasonable given the construction of the course. However, I think its important when you're an instructor that you own that judgement-at least to yourself. By all means, tell the student, it just can't work because of policies, but this is a judgement call and you shouldn't act like you are a prisoner to your own policies in making it.

dismalist

Rules vs. Discretion: Rules are always and everywhere preferable! It avoids endless negotiations with students who think they themselves make the standards. And it's best to commit to them, as in: Gee, I'd love to help you out, but I can't. It's against the rules. Maybe you'd like to turn to the administration.

Tying one's own hands is what gives one the power.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

evil_physics_witchcraft

I've been a broken record with stu saying that I cannot let stu turn in a semester's worth of work on the last day of class. Actually, this has been going on all semester. Stu contacted me 2 months ago and I cut stu a break- said I'd only take off half the late points, but stu didn't turn in anything. A week later, I'd get the same email, and I'd say, turn it in, but you can't turn in anything that goes against the syllabus late policy. And on, and on, and on...

I have directed stu to:

1. The Counseling Center (after I called them and they called stu).
2. The Dean of Students.
3. The Registrar.

I feel bad for the student, but stu has been a pain in my ass this entire semester. What's that saying? Shit or get off the pot!

dismalist

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on July 23, 2021, 02:36:51 PM
I've been a broken record with stu saying that I cannot let stu turn in a semester's worth of work on the last day of class. Actually, this has been going on all semester. Stu contacted me 2 months ago and I cut stu a break- said I'd only take off half the late points, but stu didn't turn in anything. A week later, I'd get the same email, and I'd say, turn it in, but you can't turn in anything that goes against the syllabus late policy. And on, and on, and on...

I have directed stu to:

1. The Counseling Center (after I called them and they called stu).
2. The Dean of Students.
3. The Registrar.

I feel bad for the student, but stu has been a pain in my ass this entire semester. What's that saying? Shit or get off the pot!

Except for the intermediate wobbly, excellent! [Shows that caving leads to more demands.]

There is zero reason for feeling bad for the student.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Mobius

I could go either way with this. Just don't fight tooth-and-nail if it's "suggested" by the powers that be that you need to cut the student a break.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: Mobius on July 23, 2021, 10:23:30 PM
I could go either way with this. Just don't fight tooth-and-nail if it's "suggested" by the powers that be that you need to cut the student a break.

I was more open earlier in the semester. Stu has been a no show for online meetings that stu set up. The first time stu emailed me, I reminded stu of the late policy and said I would allow some labs at a reduced late penalty. Stu never turned in any labs. Stu would wait a week and then email me asking to turn in everything. I, again, reminded stu of the policy. No labs. This happened a few more times. Then, stu had a breakdown which involved the counseling center, which threw me for a loop since I had no idea what was going on with the student. I am concerned about the student and I tried to do everything that I could to help, but I really think the student needs to work on mental health and wellness before attempting the course.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Stu is now having another student email me on stu's behalf. Today is the last day of class and this crap has been going on all semester.

downer

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

mamselle

FERPA might block you from discussing one student's grades with another, or even communicating about them.

You could start there, at least, for pushback.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Caracal

Quote from: mamselle on July 26, 2021, 06:46:47 AM
FERPA might block you from discussing one student's grades with another, or even communicating about them.

You could start there, at least, for pushback.

M.

Yeah. I hope you're not responding at this point. If you haven't already, just tell the student they should get in touch with student affairs who might be able to help them get a withdrawal, but that you can't do any more. Forward that email to your chair and the dean of students and then don't engage.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Nope. I consulted my Chair and was advised to not engage, so I didn't. I hope the student gets the help that stu needs, but Good Grief!- this has been painful.

Langue_doc

If Stu is enlisting classmates to email you on Stu's behalf, Stu has major problems which might be beyond the scope of getting help from the Counseling Center.