News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Fall classroom policy on social distancing

Started by downer, July 25, 2021, 04:46:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EdnaMode

We're still meant to have a "normal" fall semester. My biggest worry is that my lab sections are fully enrolled and this is double the socially distanced room capacity in case we have to go back to that. This will mean I will have to cut out half of the students' lab time and a lot of the instruction/content, like I did last fall, if we have to go back to maintaining that distance.

This past spring was much better as I taught the same number of students as normal, but in more class sections. I repeatedly asked (with support of my chair), that fall enrollment capacity in lab classes remain at Covid numbers but was turned down at all levels up the administrative chain and was told I was being too negative. 

As to masks, personally, I hated wearing one, and hated being the mask police with students, but if we go back to that, I'll do it without complaint since that doesn't actually impact my ability to teach necessary content like distancing does. 
I never look back, darling. It distracts from the now.

OneMoreYear

Yup, we are back to a "normal" semester, with lots of peppy emails from administration that we are all so excited to be back in-person (despite less than 50% vaccination rates in this county and across the state).  Classrooms are back to 100% capacity. There is no mask or vaccine mandate. I've looked at my updated assigned classrooms for Fall, and I don't know who came up with the capacity guidelines, but we are going to be on top of each other. Students will not be able to hide in the back rows because every seat will be filled, so come on down the front row, students. Anyone attempting to follow social distancing protocols will not be doing it in my classes, that's for sure.

dr_codex

We decided on our usual muddle. Classes will be held as usual, using fire code for capacity. Vaccination or testing required of all staff and faculty, and most students. No mask or social distance mandate.

However.

Faculty can insist on masks in their classrooms. Can insist on distancing insofar as it is possible, doing things like teaching outside.

My bet would be that by November, we'll be enforcing masks & distance (3 feet rather than 6), and fully remote by Thanksgiving through MLK Day.
back to the books.

Caracal

Quote from: dr_codex on August 02, 2021, 06:35:41 AM
We decided on our usual muddle. Classes will be held as usual, using fire code for capacity. Vaccination or testing required of all staff and faculty, and most students. No mask or social distance mandate.

However.

Faculty can insist on masks in their classrooms. Can insist on distancing insofar as it is possible, doing things like teaching outside.

My bet would be that by November, we'll be enforcing masks & distance (3 feet rather than 6), and fully remote by Thanksgiving through MLK Day.

I'm done making predictions, but I'll say that I hope it can be possible to figure out more reasonable policies if everyone is vaccinated. There will be some breakthrough infections. They should be relatively rare, but they also are just less dangerous for everyone with widespread vaccination in a community. It should be possible to figure out mitigation measures that allow for us teach in person and for students to have more normal lives.

Ruralguy

I think when people see that big jumps in cases (transmission) only weakly correlate to relatively small increases in deaths, there will be even less tolerance for mitigation measures, especially if vaccination rates increase even just modestly (as they seem to be).  So, there will be some see-sawing mitigation but I see very little remote learning and almost zero lockdowns.

wellfleet

We've just gone from no mask requirements except for the unvaccinated to all must wear masks overnight--our county just hit "substantial transmission" numbers. I expect we'll be back to 6' distance requirements very soon, too.

My kid's high school starts this week. They will be enforcing masking for all while inside buildings.
One of the benefits of age is an enhanced ability not to say every stupid thing that crosses your mind. So there's that.

the_geneticist

I just wish that our administration would have some sort of plan or guidelines for when/if to change from the current plan of "Hurray!  Everything is fine and back to normal!*"

The last minute, confusing, contradictory messages from Spring 2020 only made things worse.  If we have to have any restrictions in the number of students in the labs, then I have to move them to online.

*Except the largest of large classes will have online lectures. 

Dismal

I'm teaching a couple of classes in rooms that seat 36 and so far I have been able to keep the lid on enrollment at 32. But there is a waiting list of 10 for each class. Getting emails from WL students and even one faculty member trying to get his favorite advisee in. New mask mandate just announced today at the U. Stay tuned for my class enrollment number saga. Sure maybe no difference in health outcomes for 32 vs 36 but I feel like it is the thought that counts.

Ruralguy

The one thing I won't do is let in people from the waitlist at this point. It's just too bad....it's an easy way to keep some from getting infected.

RatGuy

Quote from: dr_codex on August 02, 2021, 06:35:41 AM

According to a recent email from the Provost, state legislation prevents the university from requiring vaccines and prevents faculty from requiring masks in class. It would take another mandate from the governor's office to require masks in the buildings or to distance students in classrooms.

In Summer 2020, the university began adding DL tech to classrooms and hygienic upgrades (like sanitation stations or those brackets to open doors with elbows). In May of 21, they began removing all of those things. I've heard rumors that admin "don't want to remind students of the pandemic."

Caracal

Quote from: RatGuy on August 03, 2021, 06:24:25 AM

In Summer 2020, the university began adding DL tech to classrooms and hygienic upgrades (like sanitation stations or those brackets to open doors with elbows). In May of 21, they began removing all of those things. I've heard rumors that admin "don't want to remind students of the pandemic."

That stuff doesn't do anything. Studies have consistently shown that there is very little transmission from surfaces.

the_geneticist

Quote from: Caracal on August 03, 2021, 08:38:18 AM

That stuff doesn't do anything. Studies have consistently shown that there is very little transmission from surfaces.

Tell that to my university.  They covered up ALL of the campus drinking fountains, make us return library books in a bag that they sanitize, and closed ALL campus dining options for the summer.  They also have put in some unenforceable/impractical signs like stairways that are "up only", restrooms with max 1 occupant, and hallways that are 1 direction.  My building is already such a maze that I have to help lost students for the 1st few weeks.

RatGuy

If we have to pivot to online or hybrid courses on September 7, it might be a good idea to have the webcams and other DL tech in place. It's almost as if they want another reason to stay in the classroom. "I know they want everyone to socially distance, but we just can't do that now."

Caracal

Quote from: RatGuy on August 03, 2021, 12:18:14 PM

If we have to pivot to online or hybrid courses on September 7, it might be a good idea to have the webcams and other DL tech in place. It's almost as if they want another reason to stay in the classroom. "I know they want everyone to socially distance, but we just can't do that now."

Personally I'm in favor of anything that would keep me out of hybrid.

evil_physics_witchcraft

We are not allowed to:

1. require anyone to wear a mask either in a classroom or in our offices.

2. enforce social distancing anywhere.

3. have all office hours online. We have to maintain some face-to-face office hours.