darkstarrynight

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on August 23, 2021, 10:08:30 PM
Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on August 08, 2021, 11:17:47 AM

• Finalize paper #1 with colleagues and submit to journal
  • Make progress on paper #2 with colleague
  • Make progress on paper #3 with colleague
  • Start outlining invited book chapter
  • Finish teaching case with colleague
  • Begin outlining book proposal based on ongoing research project and/or think about other new research projects to move forward with
  • Get my new research assistant to work on ongoing data collection project
  • Get paper #4 (desk rejected) back under review
  • Get paper #5 (rejected, with reviews) back under review

Two article rejections today - one desk reject and one with reviews... pretty frustrating, but hey I guess this is the business we chose for ourselves. Anyway, I have to add these to my list. I'll get the desk rejected article back under review quickly, since there is no reviewer feedback to incorporate. Not sure about the piece that underwent peer review, since I haven't looked at reviews yet, but that will jump to the top of my priority list in September.

Just here to say UGH! Desk rejects should still have some feedback!

darkstarrynight

Quote from: darkstarrynight on August 02, 2021, 07:03:27 PM
Happy August!

Hopefully Realistic Goals

• Finish R&R due 8/20
  • Finish manuscript due 9/1
  • Major practitioner newsletter asked us to make our article that just came out into a 2,000 word lay language article before the end of August = huge audience opportunity for our research implications!
  • Get my new research assistant (masters student) and doctoral student volunteer set up to start the big journal scanning project
  • Draft sabbatical application for department chair to preview before deadline

I guess I finally met my goals in a month, not that I had any control over deadlines! I have three article reviews for different journals due in mid-September to work on next. I am meeting with my student research assistants next week to get them started on our project.

Parasaurolophus

One last look atnthe August sample chapters today, and maybe some R&R.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on August 24, 2021, 01:36:30 PM
One last look atnthe August sample chapters today, and maybe some R&R.

Applied some minor fixes to the August sample chapters. Might do just one last tiny thing to one of them tomorrow, then they're ready to go.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Today, apply the minor fix to the August chapters and send them while asking for an extension on the manuscript. Maybe also R&R touchups if time permits.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Spent several hours getting visual resources in order, cleaned up from intermediate storage to free up space there, and pondering next steps.

M. 
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: darkstarrynight on August 24, 2021, 11:35:19 AM
Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on August 23, 2021, 10:08:30 PM
Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on August 08, 2021, 11:17:47 AM

• Finalize paper #1 with colleagues and submit to journal
  • Make progress on paper #2 with colleague
  • Make progress on paper #3 with colleague
  • Start outlining invited book chapter
  • Finish teaching case with colleague
  • Begin outlining book proposal based on ongoing research project and/or think about other new research projects to move forward with
  • Get my new research assistant to work on ongoing data collection project
  • Get paper #4 (desk rejected) back under review
  • Get paper #5 (rejected, with reviews) back under review

Two article rejections today - one desk reject and one with reviews... pretty frustrating, but hey I guess this is the business we chose for ourselves. Anyway, I have to add these to my list. I'll get the desk rejected article back under review quickly, since there is no reviewer feedback to incorporate. Not sure about the piece that underwent peer review, since I haven't looked at reviews yet, but that will jump to the top of my priority list in September.

Just here to say UGH! Desk rejects should still have some feedback!

Yes, although I'm not too upset since it allowed me to move right on to the next journal without making major revisions (just a quick edit with fresh eyes). I also looked at the reviews from rejection #2 and they are not too devastating - certainly nothing fatal to the piece - and so I'm optimistic that I'll be able to get it back out in September.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on August 25, 2021, 11:51:53 AM
Today, apply the minor fix to the August chapters and send them while asking for an extension on the manuscript. Maybe also R&R touchups if time permits.

Done and done. It took some courage to submit both, but I did it!

The revised paper is well over the word limit, which sounds relatively strict, but there's no way around that, given what the referees were demanding.
I know it's a genus.

Wahoo Redux

I didn't get nearly as much writing done this summer as I had hoped.  I am feeling a bit stunted in my career and scholarship does not have the same zest it used to when I was hoping for job interviews.  Then I got a brand new class to develop with mostly brand new material. 

Burnout and a little depression combined with pressing responsibilities.  I am soldiering very slowly through a revise-and-resubmit article...but the book project is chaos and has been shelved for a bit.

Any tips on reinvigorating or retooling my research attitude?
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

mamselle

Two thiugyts:

1) I have a couple friends interested in the topics I work on with whom I have an "accountability pact." In addition to this thread, which is helpful, I both email them updates, and do a .pdf of the article or Ppt under construction du moment, that I forward as an "earnest" at times as well.

I just did that on Tuesday, when it seemed like my 2 current projects were coming back-pattingly closer to being done, and wanted some "oomph" to get them closer to being done.

I don't have plans to teach classes in the fall, but my private students and editing clients will come thronging back, so I, also, have this window that will close soon, and I'd like it to close with me and the written work on the "Shiny new pubs" side, vs. the "undone-joeys-still-in-the-pouch" side of that wall.

2) I also pay an editorial colleague with strong interest in my topics to be a collegial consultant/supervisor. We have a Zoom call every 2 months and I do a screen-sharing run-down on my work and its current status. Takes an hour of time, for which I pay his going rate. We've worked on and off together over the years, which has kept my interest and focus alive when those were abating.

This was an idea I got from my M.A. program, as heard in a couple of Expressive therapies classes, in which it's common to need added supervisory oversight to that inbuilt within the reportage system in hospitals and other institutions where E.T.s often work.

The emotional strength of the countertransference the arts bring up can be strong, and responsible practitioners recognize their need for absorptive help in 'wicking it off,' along with the inherent frustrations of the job itself.

I saw the idea of extra support as useful in my own situation as an independent scholar and continue to use it to help sustain my writing.

Just if it's useful.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on August 25, 2021, 06:29:03 PM
I didn't get nearly as much writing done this summer as I had hoped.  I am feeling a bit stunted in my career and scholarship does not have the same zest it used to when I was hoping for job interviews.  Then I got a brand new class to develop with mostly brand new material. 

Burnout and a little depression combined with pressing responsibilities.  I am soldiering very slowly through a revise-and-resubmit article...but the book project is chaos and has been shelved for a bit.

Any tips on reinvigorating or retooling my research attitude?

Take a planned break, and when you return start on something completely different from your usual stuff (like, work up an idea you had about something way outside your usual stomping grounds)?

Quote from: mamselle on August 26, 2021, 06:54:11 AM

2) I also pay an editorial colleague with strong interest in my topics to be a collegial consultant/supervisor. We have a Zoom call every 2 months and I do a screen-sharing run-down on my work and its current status. Takes an hour of time, for which I pay his going rate. We've worked on and off together over the years, which has kept my interest and focus alive when those were abating.

That sounds like a great idea in general!

For me today, I'm taking a break from the other August goals I clearly won't accomplish, and reading a new paper to which I'm thinking I'll write a quick reply piece.
I know it's a genus.

treeoflife

I wanted to finish the third book chapter in August but it looks like it will end in the first week of September.
If I continue in this pace I will be done with the book by the end of 2021

rota1234

Just wanting to chime in here to hold myself accountable to my schedule.
I taught an intensive summer course until mid August, so I'm starting my research goals from mid August through September.

August/September goals:
1. Draft new article based in part on a course previously taught.
2. Draft conference paper (preliminary research and notes almost complete).
3. Revise as much of book chapter as possible.
4. Finish and submit R and R on journal article.

So far, draft almost complete for 1, completed minimal work on 2, and haven't started on 3. Just heard from the journal from 4 this week.

mamselle

Got three more slides done and more clean-up of others.

Article next, student at 6:30, otters after that.

M.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on August 26, 2021, 08:13:58 AM

For me today, I'm taking a break from the other August goals I clearly won't accomplish, and reading a new paper to which I'm thinking I'll write a quick reply piece.

Well, I did a bit of it. I'll do more tomorrow.
I know it's a genus.