News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Search Committee Process

Started by Vid, August 03, 2021, 07:14:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Langue_doc

Empathy is yet another buzzword. See the thread on "Administrative Calls for Empathy and Student Assessment". https://thefora.org/index.php?topic=2513.0 While assessment is objective, empathy is decidedly subjective. How would you decide whether or not a candidate is empathetic?

Vid

Empathy in a general sense not only for the Search Committee.

Diversity and Inclusion strategies should start from elementary school engaging kids with cultural diversity, building empathy, etc. NSF recently funded several empathy-driven education projects for K-12-- a good start. 

"I see the world through eyes of love. I see love in every flower, in the sun and the moon, and in every person I meet." Louise L. Hay

Ruralguy

I agree that you can't really effectively measure empathy in candidates, but it is something you can at least see in the breach once someone is on the job. We all have colleagues that aren't very good at seeing things from another perspective.

mleok

Quote from: Ruralguy on August 11, 2021, 06:52:00 PM
I agree that you can't really effectively measure empathy in candidates, but it is something you can at least see in the breach once someone is on the job. We all have colleagues that aren't very good at seeing things from another perspective.

Yes, the question is whether that is a valid reason for voting against tenure...

Ruralguy

Probably not in most cases unless it's clearly related to poor teaching or service. I suppose it could be related to research, but it would be less likely.

Vkw10

For my current position, the search committee handed me a cartoon of three people with speech bubbles asking for a specific schedule, each with a very brief reason why they needed that schedule, and asked me to discuss my response to each. I'm fairly sure they were attempting to assess empathy as well as how I would balance needs of individuals against needs of department.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

pgher

Quote from: Vkw10 on August 12, 2021, 05:33:01 PM

For my current position, the search committee handed me a cartoon of three people with speech bubbles asking for a specific schedule, each with a very brief reason why they needed that schedule, and asked me to discuss my response to each. I'm fairly sure they were attempting to assess empathy as well as how I would balance needs of individuals against needs of department.

I have to say, that's brilliant! I may steal that methodology for the search committee I'm on right now.

mamselle

There have been testing strategies for assessing the capacity for empathy since at least the 1970s.

I proofread an M.A. thesis for my mom (who typed theses and dissertations as a freelance sideline while we were kids) on the possible correlations between birth position and empathy in adult subjects, maybe even while I was in Jr. Hi. school (she paid a nickel a page, good money in those days...), so that would have been the late '60s.

I looked it up in ProQuest not too long ago and found the online copy. Yep, that was her typewriter, alright...and I still liked the results, which ranked eldest children (like myself, ahem) higher.

Humility wasn't tested...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Ruralguy

My eldest brother couldn't have possibly been part of this study.

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.