News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Voice amplifiers for the classroom

Started by downer, August 12, 2021, 06:52:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

downer

I'm looking for do's and don't's for getting a voice amplifer for the classroom with 40+ students. Some kind of mic and PA system combo.

Have any schools provided these for faculty use?

There's also the issue of combining microphone use with a mask -- do some mics work better than others at that?
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

Aster

They are pretty standard at colleges with large and/or amphitheater-style classrooms. In my experience, if the classroom supports over 60 students, there is most likely a microphone system present. If you can't find the device stuck in/around the podium or multimedia case, I'd ask your departmental secretary where the things are located. Sometimes, particularly in classrooms predominantly used by one department, the portable classroom tools (e.g., lasers, headsets) are stored in the department's main office.

Typically, you'll see devices that have a belt-operated battery pack/transmitter, connected (either by wire or bluetooth) to a clip-on microphone that you affix to your shirt. So it shouldn't physically interfere with a face mask (like a headset or ear mic).
Here is an example of the general style most commonly in use. Samson XPD2 Lavalier USB Digital Wireless System (SWXPD2BLM8)
https://www.amazon.com/Samson-Wireless-Microphone-System-SWXPD2BLM8/dp/B07HPRZBKC/ref=asc_df_B07HPRZBKC/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312146578215&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1830860622740830797&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9052628&hvtargid=pla-582197815656&psc=1

mamselle

I was going to say roughly the same thing, adding that at the places I've taught, IT oversaw the whole shebang and usually had a standard layout with, say, a locked equipment drawer in the wall console where the connectors, adapters, mics and clips were kept; teachers were issued with keys (old-fashioned) or the locking device opened with a faculty passcard swipe (newfangled).

You can get your own and just keep wearing it if all the input jacks are the same; one less set-up item to deal with, and you know it's working 'cause you just used it....and no worries about the last instructor walking off and forgetting to remove it...as long as IT approves your device for use in their system--worth checking, to be sure.

M.

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

the_geneticist

Quote from: downer on August 12, 2021, 06:52:28 AM
I'm looking for do's and don't's for getting a voice amplifer for the classroom with 40+ students. Some kind of mic and PA system combo.

There's also the issue of combining microphone use with a mask -- do some mics work better than others at that?

You might want to think about whether you'd prefer a headset style microphone or a lapel clip type.  I'ms assuming you don't want a giant handheld one (or maybe you do?  Holding a microphone mean it's harder to also write on the board, use a laser pointer, etc.). The headset style could be an issue if it rubs on your mask.  But the lapel clip type is meant to be worn on a "men's style" button-up shirt.  Fine if you wear that sort of shirt (or a lab coat), not great if you normally wear a blouse or shirt with no collar. 
Make sure it has an easy "mute" feature for when you want to chat with students one-on-one or in small groups.

secundem_artem

Be prepared to spend 10 minutes at the start of each class in a fruitless hunt for batteries.
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

mleok

Quote from: Aster on August 12, 2021, 07:11:40 AM
They are pretty standard at colleges with large and/or amphitheater-style classrooms. In my experience, if the classroom supports over 60 students, there is most likely a microphone system present. If you can't find the device stuck in/around the podium or multimedia case, I'd ask your departmental secretary where the things are located. Sometimes, particularly in classrooms predominantly used by one department, the portable classroom tools (e.g., lasers, headsets) are stored in the department's main office.

Typically, you'll see devices that have a belt-operated battery pack/transmitter, connected (either by wire or bluetooth) to a clip-on microphone that you affix to your shirt. So it shouldn't physically interfere with a face mask (like a headset or ear mic).
Here is an example of the general style most commonly in use. Samson XPD2 Lavalier USB Digital Wireless System (SWXPD2BLM8)

I used this USB lavalier microphone for my prerecorded classes all of last academic year,

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074C125TN/

mleok

Caracal

Quote from: downer on August 12, 2021, 06:52:28 AM

Have you had problems in the past with people hearing you? Or are you worried about the mask? Maybe I'm just loud, but I've never had trouble with people hearing me. I do plan to test with the mask next semester and ask people to tell me if they can't hear me well, but I'm pretty sure I can figure it out, it isn't like I'm at the top of my volume register in class, so I think I can adjust as needed.

Aster

Quote from: secundem_artem on August 12, 2021, 05:09:33 PM
Be prepared to spend 10 minutes at the start of each class in a fruitless hunt for batteries.

+1. This is a very important point. These devices suck down battery power fairly fast. It's also common to come into a classroom and find that some previous professor had left the microphone turned on, sometimes overnight or even over the weekend.

I learned to keep spare batteries in my pocket whenever I taught in the auditorium. I rubber-banded a pair of AA batteries together and placed them atop my teaching binder so I wouldn't forget them. If I needed to perform a hot swap, I'd refresh with new AA batteries from the departmental secretary.

mamselle

General reminder: DON'T BLOW INTO THE MICROPHONE!

TAP ON IT, INSTEAD, TO TEST THAT IT'S WORKING....

(The humidity from your breath rusts or gums up or messes up the parts)

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Aster

I once had a professor that left his mic on as he went into the bathroom to take a pee pee.

We heard mumbling, and then humming, and then pee pee sounds, and more humming, and then the flush. It was very entertaining.

gradytripp

Quote from: Caracal on August 13, 2021, 05:54:34 AMMaybe I'm just loud, but I've never had trouble with people hearing me. I do plan to test with the mask next semester and ask people to tell me if they can't hear me well....

One thing I remember from a public speaking class I took decades ago is, if there's a microphone, you should use it. Even if you think you're "loud." Even if people say they can hear you. Some of them are not admitting that they can't hear you.

(The exception, in my opinion, is if you are that One Faculty Member whose default voice truly is loud and cuts through the white noise that seems to be in every room in every college. Otherwise, everyone else should use a microphone if there is one, and speak 25-50% louder if there is not.)

Hibush

I do some group things outdoors, where there is never a PA system built in. I use a small but excellent PA system with a clip on wireless mike. I put the speaker (about a 6" cube) over near the people so it doesn't look like I'm using a PA or a bullhorn. They can just hear me eerily well. Something similar may work in class, putting the speaker about halfway back.

Hibush

Caracal

Quote from: gradytripp on August 25, 2021, 08:21:19 AM
Quote from: Caracal on August 13, 2021, 05:54:34 AMMaybe I'm just loud, but I've never had trouble with people hearing me. I do plan to test with the mask next semester and ask people to tell me if they can't hear me well....

One thing I remember from a public speaking class I took decades ago is, if there's a microphone, you should use it. Even if you think you're "loud." Even if people say they can hear you. Some of them are not admitting that they can't hear you.

(The exception, in my opinion, is if you are that One Faculty Member whose default voice truly is loud and cuts through the white noise that seems to be in every room in every college. Otherwise, everyone else should use a microphone if there is one, and speak 25-50% louder if there is not.)

Alas, that's me.