The Ventilation and Filtration Thread

Started by downer, August 20, 2021, 07:26:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ergative

Quote from: apl68 on August 20, 2021, 03:53:23 PM
Quote from: ergative on August 20, 2021, 07:57:24 AM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on August 20, 2021, 07:49:51 AM
Quote from: downer on August 20, 2021, 07:26:10 AM
What are you doing to make sure you get good flow of outside air into your classroom this fall?
What assurances have you been given that the a/c is filtering the air?

I'm thinking of taking a can of WD40, a crowbar, and a mallet to my classrooms to do some problem-solving with the windows.

Ha! Our windows don't open. :(

All that means is that you don't need to bother with the WD40 and the crowbar.

Actually the crowbar could probably be used to improve ventilation in that situation one way or another.

More effectively than the mallet?

Vkw10

Quote from: ergative on August 21, 2021, 01:35:34 AM
What are you doing to make sure you get good flow of outside air into your classroom this fall?

I'm thinking of taking a can of WD40, a crowbar, and a mallet to my classrooms to do some problem-solving with the windows.

Actually the crowbar could probably be used to improve ventilation in that situation one way or another.

Add masking tape and yellow caution tape. Reduce the risk of shattered glass injuries by taping windows and marking out a no-go zone below.
Enthusiasm is not a skill set. (MH)

apl68

A mallet can only be used for smashing, not prying stuff out of its frame.  A crowbar can do both! 
For our light affliction, which is only for a moment, works for us a far greater and eternal weight of glory.  We look not at the things we can see, but at those we can't.  For the things we can see are temporary, but those we can't see are eternal.

OneMoreYear

Is this the mallet o' understanding?  https://www.flickr.com/photos/14191423@N05/2286992876

buffle

I normally just lurk here instead of posting, so I hope it's okay to jump in like this, but I wanted to say that I work in an office on our campus that provides student services and employs student workers. Our campus mandates vaccines and face masks, but I still feel like we should mitigate every risk we can because our windows don't open and our HVAC regularly breaks, so I put HEPA filters in every single room. If you don't have the funds for HEPA filters, look into building a Corsi-Rosenthal box (cheap, easy, portable, effective).

Here's the info on HEPA and Covid as per the CDC:
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/mm7027e1.htm

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/ventilation.html#refphf

You do want to do some calculations to make sure that your HEPA filter can handle the size space you're putting it in (at least 4 air changes per hour is recommended for Covid, but our units provide an insane 19 air changes because we have small spaces, and I do not mess around). I find the calculation part difficult to explain, but you can enter the CADR rating for the unit into a calculator like this one to figure out the air changes per hour (ACH). If a unit has multiple CADR ratings, you're supposed to use the one for smoke as that is most similar to aerosols. You can also get multiple units to go in larger spaces (I *think* you just add the ACH for each together).

https://reviewsofairpurifiers.com/air-changes-per-hour-calculator/

Here's some info on the Corsi-Rosenthal box:
https://www.texairfilters.com/iaq-research-practice-in-action-the-corsi-rosenthal-box-air-cleaner/

We also have humidity monitors and humidifiers ready to go in every room for when the relative humidity starts dipping below the 40-60% range this winter. The data on that seem a bit fuzzier, but in theory moist air makes aerosols heavier, so they fall to the floor faster. I figure they should at least cut down on the number of dry air nosebleeds we all get.

mleok

ergative

Quote from: apl68 on August 21, 2021, 08:02:46 AM

A mallet can only be used for smashing, not prying stuff out of its frame.  A crowbar can do both!

I bow to your superior knowledge. You are clearly wiser in matters of life-saving civic vandalism than I.

jimbogumbo

mamselle

For a moment I misread this as the "Ventilation and Flirtation" thread.

Made me realize there's no Lonely Hearts Club thread!

Sorry, back to your regular Venting and Filtering activities...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

downer

So I'm pleased to report that through various efforts, I was able to get what I wanted regarding ventilation, mostly. Facilities services provided fans in one classroom, and at a different place, they worked on the windows to make it possible to open windows without using a jack. It is still not ideal -- I'd like more fans with the open windows, and I'd like a working mic with speakers so I don't have to shout over the sound of the fans I do have. But it is better than it would have been.

I am a bit puzzled by all the faculty I see teaching in classrooms with windows who keep the windows closed. I guess they believe the reassurances that the HVAC works great or they just trust that the school knows what it is doing. Maybe I am a little paranoid, but my default assumption is that there are quite likely to be problems. That motivates me to make effort to maximize the ventilation.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

Anon1787

Quote from: downer on September 13, 2021, 06:57:13 AM
So I'm pleased to report that through various efforts, I was able to get what I wanted regarding ventilation, mostly. Facilities services provided fans in one classroom, and at a different place, they worked on the windows to make it possible to open windows without using a jack. It is still not ideal -- I'd like more fans with the open windows, and I'd like a working mic with speakers so I don't have to shout over the sound of the fans I do have. But it is better than it would have been.

I am a bit puzzled by all the faculty I see teaching in classrooms with windows who keep the windows closed. I guess they believe the reassurances that the HVAC works great or they just trust that the school knows what it is doing. Maybe I am a little paranoid, but my default assumption is that there are quite likely to be problems. That motivates me to make effort to maximize the ventilation.

The windows at my Univ can't open despite being in a warm climate. I don't have great confidence in the HVAC system and seem to be the only one on my floor who keeps the classroom doors open for some additional airflow.