how do I delete a message

Started by The Future, September 18, 2021, 01:48:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Future

How do I delete this message?

clean

"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

The Future

Thanks for the reply/suggestion.  If that is the answer/solution and a moderator sees it, would they please post a confirmation that that is the way, but do not delete yet so that the rest of the members who read the post can see the answer (for a week, please)  :) 

mamselle

????????

Is this an ad or something?

Those are not permitted.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

eigen

Quote from: The Future on September 18, 2021, 02:27:54 PM
Thanks for the reply/suggestion.  If that is the answer/solution and a moderator sees it, would they please post a confirmation that that is the way, but do not delete yet so that the rest of the members who read the post can see the answer (for a week, please)  :)

You cannot delete posts, or edit them after 60 minutes have expired.
Quote from: Caracal
Actually reading posts before responding to them seems to be a problem for a number of people on here...

The Future

Ok, thanks for the clarification.  So, there is a time limit to modifying a post.  I did try to delete a post within an hour of posting it because I found the answer to my question.  I was able to edit but not delete.  I thought there might be a way for one to delete or remove their own post.  This is not an advertisement or spamming or prank.  I just wanted the info.  I am somewhat new to posting here, so just wanted that info.  Thanks again :) 

Cheerful

It would be nice to be able to edit/delete one's own post long after one hour.  Other message boards permit such any time and it seems fine, not disruptive/problematic.

mamselle

I'm bemused by the fact that a request to delete a message has now amassed several more entries and the thread looks likely to go to yet another page.

Only on the Fora!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

filologos

Quote from: Cheerful on September 20, 2021, 07:53:30 AM
It would be nice to be able to edit/delete one's own post long after one hour.  Other message boards permit such any time and it seems fine, not disruptive/problematic.

There are entire threads on Reddit that have been rendered useless by deleted posts. Some people even use bots that log in to their accounts and edit all their posts made before a certain date with a message that explains what happened and credits the bot. Ostensibly they do this for privacy's sake -- which I can understand -- but it's obnoxious when enough of the thread remains to tell that the information I wanted is in one of those overwritten posts. If enough people do that, past threads can become useless and unreadable.

downer

I've never seen a useful thread on Reddit.

I guess if you want to make sure your post has context you should quote the ones you are replying to.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

filologos

Quote from: downer on September 20, 2021, 01:32:57 PM

I guess if you want to make sure your post has context you should quote the ones you are replying to.

Points well taken. There are, however, a few subreddits for tech support and for some of my academic interests that are relatively high-quality. YMMV. The bigger the subreddit, the more likely it is to be a garbage dump.

Cheerful

Quote from: filologos on September 20, 2021, 09:41:51 AM

There are entire threads on Reddit that have been rendered useless by deleted posts. Some people even use bots that log in to their accounts and edit all their posts made before a certain date with a message that explains what happened and credits the bot. Ostensibly they do this for privacy's sake -- which I can understand -- but it's obnoxious when enough of the thread remains to tell that the information I wanted is in one of those overwritten posts. If enough people do that, past threads can become useless and unreadable.

Interesting that you should mention Reddit.  In addition to a few other boards, that's mostly where I've seen deleted posts that have caused no problems.  I guess it depends on the Reddit "sub" one visits and the moderators for a given sub.

Cheerful

Quote from: downer on September 20, 2021, 01:32:57 PM

Usefulness seems to depend largely on the particular sub and the moderators.

eigen

This was contentiously debated way back in the move to the new forum, with the consensus (best of my recollection) being that threads were useful beyond the folks who started them, so someone deleting a thread / post or editing out important information made the replies less useful to folks who might be searching for similar information in the future.

I'm open to changing it, but it would need to be a larger board discussion since it was set the way it is by the will of the community.
Quote from: Caracal
Actually reading posts before responding to them seems to be a problem for a number of people on here...

clean

Personally, I think that the current policy is ok. 
Deleting something a week later could certainly disrupt the flow of the conversations.

Remember, if you put it on the internet, it lives forever!!  IF you dont want it to have an unlimited life,  dont type it in the first place!  ((Or wait til THIS forum goes the way of the last one and something happens to pull the plug on the entire posting history!)
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader