Author Topic: Movie Thread  (Read 17786 times)

ab_grp

• Distinguished Senior Member
  • CHE Posts: 7,653
Re: Movie Thread
« Reply #255 on: July 11, 2021, 12:17:55 PM »
We watched I am Mother with Hilary Swank and Rose Byrne and others.  It's a post-apocalyptic story about a young girl raised by a robot mother.  I don't want to give too much away, because it is a suspenseful tale and one that I didn't feel as though I understood completely.  Part of the reason is because the story has a lot going on, but I also apparently ordered the German version by mistake.  Fortunately, there is an English language option (but no English subtitles) with the actual actors (not dubbed, though I guess you could expect that since they are not German, as far as I know).  But there were some in-movie captions that were in German that we couldn't parse.  I just read a Wikipedia article about it, which confirmed my suspicion that some of the information shared in those captions was important for our understanding.  We both enjoyed it and thought it was well done, in any case.  Lots to think about.

Sun_Worshiper

« Reply #256 on: July 21, 2021, 03:45:18 PM »
Tenet

First, let's be clear that Christopher Nolan is the most important mainstream director working today. He is the only person in this era of remakes, sequels, and "extended universes" making blank check concept blockbusters. And there is a lot to like about Tenet: The action is incredible, the concept is neat, the performances are very good, and there are some astonishing individual scenes (and the soundtrack slaps). Unfortunately, the sum of those parts is an overstuffed, incoherent, and emotionally empty film. I still must recommend Tenet for all of the good things about it, but overall it doesn't work.

B-

ergative

• CHE Posts: 1949
« Reply #257 on: August 10, 2021, 06:36:37 AM »
Tenet

First, let's be clear that Christopher Nolan is the most important mainstream director working today. He is the only person in this era of remakes, sequels, and "extended universes" making blank check concept blockbusters. And there is a lot to like about Tenet: The action is incredible, the concept is neat, the performances are very good, and there are some astonishing individual scenes (and the soundtrack slaps). Unfortunately, the sum of those parts is an overstuffed, incoherent, and emotionally empty film. I still must recommend Tenet for all of the good things about it, but overall it doesn't work.

B-

You may enjoy Catherynne Valente's take on the film.

This rando youtuber also agrees with you, I think.

Really, I've been enjoying the Tenet discourse so much I feel no need to watch the film itself.

Sun_Worshiper

« Reply #258 on: August 10, 2021, 09:25:37 AM »
Bohemian Rhapsody

Biopic about the legendary group, with particular focus on Freddie Mercury. Audiences loved this film but critics did not, and I see why on both counts: The movie is fun, feel good, and fast paced, hitting all the key Queen songs and moments, while taking little time to develop characters or delve into complex matters. It also offers a shallow take on Mercury's personal life and illness. While I can understand why critics were not enthralled with Bohemian Rhapsody, I enjoyed it and I think the artistic choices to short-shift character development and Mercury's battle with AIDS were the right ones, given the standard biopic format. By the end, I had a good sense for Mercury's genius and for what made Queen's music special, and I had a good time with the music.

Grade: B+

Promising Young Woman

A novel twist on the "rape and revenge" genre, which follows Carey Mulligan's Cassie as she terrorizes the men and women that wronged her friend. The film is dark and quite funny, with a great central performance and lots of twists and turns that kept me engaged. The ending is very satisfying, although It does not entirely makes sense - better not to overthink it.

Grade: A-

Freaky

Remake of Freaky Friday, with the twist being that the switch is between an awkward teen girl and a middle-aged male serial killer. As these sorts of movies go, this one is pretty good, and Vince Vaughn gives it his all and delivers a nice performance. But there is nothing particularly new here and it didn't entirely hold my attention.

Grade: B

ab_grp

« Reply #259 on: August 10, 2021, 02:59:04 PM »
We rewatched Nobody with Bob Odenkirk two weeks ago and found it just as entertaining as the first time.

A couple days ago, we watched Moonlight with Mahershala Ali.  I wasn't quite sure what to think about it at the time, so I've been thinking a lot about it since.  It was certainly an excellent and beautiful movie and very heartbreaking at times, a story told in three parts about a young boy/man growing up in a harsh life in Miami and struggling with his sexuality.  I felt that I had not really grasped everything about the story, so I read and watched a couple analyses and have a somewhat better understanding of the symbolism and some of the other complexities.  I'd certainly have to (and want to) watch it again.  Some of the director's choices interested me, such as not having the three actors playing the main character (Chiron) meet each other during production, and the same for the three actors playing his friend Kevin so that they would each develop their own ideas for their personas.  The actors were very good.  I'm guessing that I'll keep thinking about it for a long while.

mamselle

• Use your wit and intelligence to figure out how to be kinder
  • Wondering, Wandering Sr. Member
  • CHE Posts: 4,618
« Reply #260 on: September 05, 2021, 01:18:01 PM »
This is an older movie I just discovered online after reading up on the late British comic, Victoria Woods: Housewife, 49.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Afduf9L7N-w

Set in WWII, truly moving, excellent actors, based on a real-life diary.

M. 
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ab_grp

« Reply #261 on: September 05, 2021, 01:35:11 PM »
My husband convinced me to watch Bowfinger, a comedy from 1999 starring Steve Martin as the title character.  The gist is that Bowfinger, a filmmaker desperate to find any success at this point in an unsuccessful career, finds a script and decides to try to make a movie starring major movie star Kit Ramsey (played by Eddie Murphy).  The budget is slim, so he decides to make the movie without Kit actually knowing he's in the movie.  The rest of the cast and production crew is understandably ragtag, and the actors also do not know that Kit does not know he's in the movie.  It's plenty screwball (madcap?), but once it gets going it is pretty hilarious.  The situations and personality issues all come together very well.  Steve Martin did not stray far from his usual type of character, but Eddie Murphy and Christine Baranksi were pretty great.  I thought it was a clever premise well executed.