News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Can you explain the instructions?

Started by marshwiggle, October 22, 2021, 06:13:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

downer

It is always good to emphasize that a grade can go down with a regrade.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

FishProf

I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

the_geneticist

Quote from: darkstarrynight on October 26, 2021, 06:12:39 PM
Last week a student complained that I was too harsh when I graded hu's paper and asked for a regrade! The student had earned an A on the paper.

Maybe they want an A+?  Or an A with no comments showing areas for improvement?

apl68

God gave Noah the rainbow sign
No more water, but the fire next time
When this world's all on fire
Hide me over, Rock of Ages, cleft for me

FishProf

FishProf

That isn't a grade at my school.

If your school has A+, that is what the student is seeking.

Puget

Quote from: FishProf on October 27, 2021, 12:28:15 PM

We can give an A+, but it is still only worth 4.0 GPA points, so it doesn't change their GPA vs. an A. They want them anyway.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

darkstarrynight

I told the student that I offered a lot of resources and support in advance of the deadline (willingness to look at drafts before deadline, sample paper in required format to type over). The comments I provided on the paper should help the student improve for the next assignment, so I anticipate the student will continue to maintain an A in the course. Also, the course is based on points, so out of a possible 250 for the entire semester, the student lost 4 points, which is not a big deal. I received a reply thanking me for the feedback I provided on the submission, but the student was the only person that did not speak at all in class this week, which is unusual.

Caracal

Quote from: darkstarrynight on October 29, 2021, 03:55:40 PM
I told the student that I offered a lot of resources and support in advance of the deadline (willingness to look at drafts before deadline, sample paper in required format to type over). The comments I provided on the paper should help the student improve for the next assignment, so I anticipate the student will continue to maintain an A in the course. Also, the course is based on points, so out of a possible 250 for the entire semester, the student lost 4 points, which is not a big deal. I received a reply thanking me for the feedback I provided on the submission, but the student was the only person that did not speak at all in class this week, which is unusual.

Hmm, is this student a major? Is this an intro course? I wonder if the student is having trouble understanding the difference between an essay and an exam.

darkstarrynight

Quote from: Caracal on November 01, 2021, 07:33:07 AM

Hmm, is this student a major? Is this an intro course? I wonder if the student is having trouble understanding the difference between an essay and an exam.

It is a freshman honors seminar, and students are in a variety of majors across colleges.

onthefringe

Quote from: Puget on October 27, 2021, 02:49:01 PM
Quote from: FishProf on October 27, 2021, 12:28:15 PM

We can give an A+, but it is still only worth 4.0 GPA points, so it doesn't change their GPA vs. an A. They want them anyway.

Award the A+ with garlands (originally from the NYT but not behind paywall at the first link...)

Parasaurolophus

I stick to percentages, even though marks are ultimately expressed in letters.

And I use the full range of natural numbers available to me. I'm not shy about giving 100 to written work that does everything I'm looking for, and does it well. Nor am I shy about giving 0s, or 20, or 30. An F is an F, but some Fs are closer to yhe mark than others.
I know it's a genus.

Caracal

Quote from: darkstarrynight on November 01, 2021, 01:45:31 PM
Quote from: Caracal on November 01, 2021, 07:33:07 AM

It is a freshman honors seminar, and students are in a variety of majors across colleges.

Oh yeah. I think this is just a student who needs to understand how college writing assignments are graded.

Caracal

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on November 01, 2021, 09:51:33 PM
I stick to percentages, even though marks are ultimately expressed in letters.

And I use the full range of natural numbers available to me. I'm not shy about giving 100 to written work that does everything I'm looking for, and does it well.

I don't think this is important, but if I'm giving myself 100 points to work with, I feel like I might as well reserve the last couple of points for truly exceptional work. Not that these kinds of distinctions have any practical importance. My school doesn't even have + and - grades so students getting 97s are almost certainly going to get As in the course.