Started by mamselle, November 02, 2021, 12:30:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: filologos on November 14, 2021, 12:58:27 PM
Quote from: filologos on November 08, 2021, 07:07:04 PM

• Finish (re)reading and taking notes on primary source HF
  • (Re)read and take notes on primary source H
  • Finish (re)reading and taking notes on primary source M
  • Begin writing conference paper based on primary sources HF, H, and M (notional deadline: Dec. 15th; length: ~2750 wds)
  • Begin writing dissertation chapter #2 (4,000 words in)
Stretch goal:

• Finish writing conference paper

I started writing Chapter 2 just over a week ago, and now I'm 4,000 words in. Obviously it's only a first draft, but 4,000 words is much better than nothing (thanks again to those of you who encouraged me to write every day: over the past 9 days, I've written on 6 different days instead of 2). At the latest, I should have a complete draft of this chapter before next semester starts. But now I need to shift my focus toward the conference paper.

Well done!

Today: work on a book section.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Didn't feel up to much today, in the end. But I wrote 250 words, updated a document for my subfield association, and wrote a quick timeline of events for my union rep.
I know it's a genus.

darkstarrynight

In a surprising twist, the manuscript I submitted Friday was "sent back" from the journal today (impressively early on Monday morning) because it was over word count (expected) and the editor asked us to change our purpose to something other than what we studied (red flag). Thus, with my coauthor on board, I reworked it and submitted to a different journal before the end of the day. If that was not enough excitement for a Monday, I was a guest on a podcast about my research (though I was not given any questions to prepare for in advance so it was a mess), and my friend who I have been supporting in the dissertation to manuscript process submitted hu's work today with me as coauthor. This is a "record" day for me to have two manuscripts submitted in one day!

Parasaurolophus

Wow! Well done!

I have a meeting with my union rep later today, but I hope to manage some work on a book section.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

More corrections done.

Also had to fix a wikimedia citation that was distressingly, completely wrong.

Calls this cartoon to mind...

https://xkcd.com/386/

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on November 16, 2021, 08:36:45 AM
I have a meeting with my union rep later today, but I hope to manage some work on a book section.

Still not feeling it, but wrote about 300 words and did some fixing of two old sections, which involved reading two new articles.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Student out sick, got more fixes in.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on November 03, 2021, 05:22:42 PM
Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on November 02, 2021, 09:07:38 AM
November tasks:

• Submit paper #1
  • Finish draft of paper #2
  • Make some progress on getting paper #3 off the ground
  • Revisit drafted book chapter, due in January, and see if I can figure out how to add about 1500 words
  • Continue to make progress on collecting and organizing data from big data collection project (RAs working on this)

Stretch goals for November:
  • Submit paper #2 to a journal
  • IRB for ongoing project
  • Outline book proposal(s)
  • Think about new projects

I've made some progress on the book chapter, outlined a book proposal, and hired a new RA (to help out the RA I already had). So I'm crossing some things off my list.

November has been a slow month though and between the holiday and end of the semester I'm afraid some of these things will not get done until December (or later, depending on coauthors).

Parasaurolophus

More sectioning today. I suppose I could start a wholly new one, or work on getting the other two new ones finished. Not sure which yet.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

More slide work to do.

Teaching at 4.30.

M.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on November 17, 2021, 08:40:14 AM
More sectioning today. I suppose I could start a wholly new one, or work on getting the other two new ones finished. Not sure which yet.

A few hundred words, read a couple articles.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Watching a friend's defence today. Then book sectioning, when time allows.
I know it's a genus.

darkstarrynight

Today a friend and I met at a coffee shop for blocked out writing time, but hu had a crisis and had to go back to campus. I spent some time working on the IRB application for a new project. I also spoke last night with one of the coauthors on the rejected manuscript. Hu has settled in hu's new position and is ready to get back to the manuscript, so I am inspired to as well.

mamselle

More corrections done, and got lost in a 17th c. diary for three hours in the process, which will be useful in the next phase of this.

Win-win!

M.

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.