News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

November Research

Started by mamselle, November 02, 2021, 12:30:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

Welcome to November, all!

I'm still working on two book chapters with a hope of getting them ready by January to send out.

I also have an article that's nearly done, and a Ppt that I'm trying to prepare in conjunction with the book project, that's also nearly finished.

I'm hoping in the next week to book a 'friends' viewing' of the Ppt, to make me finish the rest of the edits and to see how it goes.

There are many other good things to work on, after those are done, but I'm trying to....focus....so....here's hoping!

You?

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Sun_Worshiper

November tasks:

• Submit paper #1
  • Finish draft of paper #2
  • Make some progress on getting paper #3 off the ground
  • Revisit drafted book chapter, due in January, and see if I can figure out how to add about 1500 words
  • Continue to make progress on collecting and organizing data from big data collection project (RAs working on this)

Stretch goals for November:
  • Submit paper #2 to a journal
  • IRB for ongoing project
  • Outline book proposal(s)
  • Think about new projects

Parasaurolophus

• Write at least three new book sections.
  • Deliver conference presentation and commentary.
  • Fix and resend Neglected Paper
  • Fix and resend October's rejected paper.

But I'm taking this week off, first.
I know it's a genus.

darkstarrynight

I am copying my October research goals here and just updating the status but they have not changed (darn)!

November Priority Goals

• Continue working on long-term project with student research assistants
  • Finish book chapter edits due 12/1 with two collaborators
  • Work on rejected manuscript revision with colleague and student
  • Take feedback from discussant at October conference and revise manuscript, then submit to a journal (goal to submit before the end of 2021)

On another note, I have reached out to two people to write a commentary piece since all of us have a similar "side hustle" that would be interesting to write about as it pertains to faculty life. They both agreed but cannot meet until December. I have started to collect some sources to include though, and I am really excited about it even though it will not "count" for anything since it will not be peer-reviewed. I found a few journals that take commentaries on related topics, so I figure it is worth doing. I do not have a deadline on it though since it is just for fun. I am still trying to say no to new projects so I can focus on the long-term project and this fun commentary piece next semester without much else on my plate while I have a higher teaching load in Spring plus I need to prep a new course for Summer 2022.

rota1234

November Research Goals:

1. Tidy up/bolster conference paper to be presented soon.
2. Finish revising book chapter that moved slowly last month.
3. Begin new and exciting journal article based off of previous notes.
4. Finish journal article that is nearing completion (I moved this down the list since my latest R/R is on a similar topic).

Extra things to work on if there is time:
1. Extend conference paper into book chapter.
2. Start revising another book chapter from project 1.

darkstarrynight

Today I finished a manuscript review while flying to the conference location. I was glad to do something research-related and check something off of my long to do list while traveling.

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on November 02, 2021, 09:07:38 AM
November tasks:

• Submit paper #1
  • Finish draft of paper #2
  • Make some progress on getting paper #3 off the ground
  • Revisit drafted book chapter, due in January, and see if I can figure out how to add about 1500 words
  • Continue to make progress on collecting and organizing data from big data collection project (RAs working on this)

Stretch goals for November:
  • Submit paper #2 to a journal
  • IRB for ongoing project
  • Outline book proposal(s)
  • Think about new projects

filologos

All right, I'll jump in with my November goals:

• Finish (re)reading and taking notes on primary source HF (finished today)
  • (Re)read and take notes on primary source H
  • Finish (re)reading and taking notes on primary source M
  • Begin writing conference paper based on primary sources HF, H, and M (notional deadline: Dec. 15th; length: ~2750 wds)
  • Begin writing dissertation chapter #2
Stretch goal:

• Finish writing conference paper

mamselle

Welcome, filologos! And good luck!

OK, today went fairly well.

Five pages boiled down to three, in one chapter, and the tables and Ppt slides that need to coincide with the text for the other chapter are now much better-aligned.

I can probably do interpretation on them starting Saturday. (Full day teaching tomorrow.)

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

rota1234

This week November 8, I'm just working on a conference paper. It's coming along and will be ready in two days or so.

Have a good week!

mamselle

More boiling down done on Intro chapter.

More work on PPt to Chpts 1 and Intro done.

Started a couple new teaching videos for students.

Small steps accumulating.

M.

darkstarrynight

I worked on another manuscript review between conference sessions. I returned yesterday from the conference (presentations went well), and today am working on the book chapter revisions due 12/1. I am hopeful to do a little on this every day since there are a lot of different sub-sections I need to update.

mamselle

Several more chunks of text fixed, annotations filled out, and text chunks duly transferred to the appropriate chapters for processing into more specific sub-structures.

A few illustrations and a table figured out.

Still more to do.

M.

filologos

• Finish (re)reading and taking notes on primary source HF
  • (Re)read and take notes on primary source H
  • Finish (re)reading and taking notes on primary source M
  • Begin writing conference paper based on primary sources HF, H, and M (notional deadline: Dec. 15th; length: ~2750 wds)
  • Begin writing dissertation chapter #2 (2,000 words in)
Stretch goal:

• Finish writing conference paper

Parasaurolophus

Today: a nap, and catching up on emails.
I know it's a genus.