News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Time management priorities in teaching

Started by downer, November 11, 2021, 05:10:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

downer

At this and indeed any stage of the semester, I have to decide what my priorities are for teaching and factors that impose on my teaching time.

I'd say they are roughly in this order:

1. Making sure my courses are running smoothly -- preparing classes, responding to student posts in online courses, having tests ready for students, giving students assignments, commenting on student paper drafts
2. Promptly grading student work that was submitted on time.
3. Replying to student emails with reasonable questions about the course.
4. Answering questions and performing tasks from administrators.
5. Grading late work from students.
6. Replying to student emails complaining about the course or their grades.
7. Writing student recommendations.
8. Responding to students who claim they didn't actually cheat.

I was thinking of putting the list in my email signature or on the syllabus, adding "In case you are wondering why I haven't got to you yet, here is my list of priorities." But maybe discretion is the better part of valor.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

FishProf

I think I can second that list.

I think #8 is "Never.  Does Never work for you?"
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

Hegemony

I don't think putting this in your email signature or on your syllabus is going to have any effect apart from maybe signalling, "You may have a question or an issue, but I have more important things to attend to and will probably be dismissive of your concern, until I get some free time and judge you worthy of reply."

And frankly I think you should answer students promptly, even if you still have papers to be graded, lectures to be prepared, etc. I have seen my son (a college student) struggle with getting answers from profs. For instance, one assignment had two different due dates listed in different places. He had a midterm to study for and was stressed out wondering if he should be studying or hurrying to turn in the assignment. (Why didn't he do the assignment earlier? Because it involved the material for a certain week, which only became available on the LMS at the beginning of that week.) Professor took 4-5 days to answer email, if he ever answered at all. And I'm looking at this and thinking, "This is a crummy prof and if I were his department head, I'd have a strict word with him." The prof always acted as if student inquiries were violations of his right to get no email. So, you can tell where I stand on that one. Don't give the students the same impression as we ourselves get when we hear that recording, "Your call is important to us..." when we actually know they hate calls and want us to go away. I think all of us deserve more than to be told "You're a low priority for me."

downer

These days I generally get to work in category 2 within about 24 hours. Category 3 varies -- but I generally reply to student emails with reasonable questions in the mornings. Sometimes sooner. If I see the question on my phone and I can give a one word answer, the reply is within 5 minutes.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

Langue_doc

Quote from: FishProf on November 11, 2021, 09:15:45 AM

I think #8 is "Never.  Does Never work for you?"

Never sounds right. Stu wants to "redo [assignment]"
Quoteto rephrase my words, and ensure that I understood the assignment and that I am not for plagiarism 
. I have to report Stu as this is hu's second instance of plagiarism that I caught this week.

I'll probably send a terse response to Stu.

Ruralguy

1,2, and 3 are the priorities unless an administrator has an urgent request. I am not really including other different demands on time (research, service, health, family life).

downer

I'm pretty good at holding a firm line on other areas of life -- exercise, cooking. socializing. relaxing, and research activities. This semester it has been more difficult and I've eaten a few more meals heated from microwave. I have a paper review that I know should be done soon which I would have liked to do more quickly. But mostly I make sure that teaching does not eat into the activities that are essential for me.

Caracal

Quote from: downer on November 11, 2021, 10:26:57 AM
These days I generally get to work in category 2 within about 24 hours. Category 3 varies -- but I generally reply to student emails with reasonable questions in the mornings. Sometimes sooner. If I see the question on my phone and I can give a one word answer, the reply is within 5 minutes.

For whatever reason, I'm struggling with that this semester. The volume of emails from students who are sick is an issue. Most aren't shirking, they are just doing what they should be-not coming to class when they have a cold, but it crowds up my email and they come in as I'm usually rushing to prepare for class. Most of them don't need an answer yet I feel like a jerk not replying.

Puget

Quote from: Caracal on November 12, 2021, 06:42:05 AM

For whatever reason, I'm struggling with that this semester. The volume of emails from students who are sick is an issue. Most aren't shirking, they are just doing what they should be-not coming to class when they have a cold, but it crowds up my email and they come in as I'm usually rushing to prepare for class. Most of them don't need an answer yet I feel like a jerk not replying.

I've found a lot of this can be headed off by making it clear from the beginning that they don't need to email me about missing one class. What I do is give them two free passes (dropped grades) for the in-class assignments, so if they need to miss a class for whatever reason they can just use one of those and don't need to explain anything.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

Sun_Worshiper

The list is fine. Putting it in your sig seems like a good way to piss off students and your chair.

the_geneticist

Quote from: Puget on November 12, 2021, 06:50:14 AM

I've found a lot of this can be headed off by making it clear from the beginning that they don't need to email me about missing one class. What I do is give them two free passes (dropped grades) for the in-class assignments, so if they need to miss a class for whatever reason they can just use one of those and don't need to explain anything.
I've had SO MANY sick students and since it's a lab they have to fill out a form to ask to be excused.  We don't have any way for them to make up the lab unless they can attend another section that week.  In practice, this "attend another section" works fine for scheduled things like dentist appointments, not so much for being sick.  And it doesn't work at all when the labs are all full to capacity.  I've been excusing everyone who asks. 

FishProf

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on November 12, 2021, 08:24:28 AM
The list is fine. Putting it in your sig seems like a good way to piss off students and your chair.

I didn't take that part seriously.  But, yeah, don't do that.

Caracal

Quote from: Puget on November 12, 2021, 06:50:14 AM

Yeah, usually that works ok, but now I am excusing students because I don't want anyone coming in sick.

Parasaurolophus

Hmm. I start with prep, if there is any, then whatever needs attention structurally. Then emails of all kinds (I reply within 24 hours--otherwise, I tend to forget).

But before all that, I do a bit of research. I know, I'm slacking--but I'm still being nominated for teaching awards, so it can't be too bad yet. (I suppose I might actually win one if I put in more work, but I'd rather leave for better pastures.)

But I wouldn't tell anyone at work any of that.
I know it's a genus.

FishProf

Today is the re-ordering of the to-do list for me.  On month to go, and it can't all get done.

Prioritization is essential.

Also, I get to cross off tings I already did, or that expired before I could get them.