News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Favorite student emails

Started by ergative, July 03, 2019, 03:06:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Langue_doc

Quote from: the_geneticist on May 22, 2024, 02:09:27 PMStudent is shocked, I say, shocked that I wouldn't let him participate when he arrived 20 minutes late for lab. 

He tried arguing with the TA, TA sent SUS to me, I said he was too late to participate & to email me.

QuoteHello, I am the guy that you didn't let in the lab today. Is it possible that you can send me the make up online, thanks.
[Super Upset Student]

At least he said thanks at the end. 

Was it you who had a TA that would have allowed Stu to participate? Pardon the syntax--it's been a long day.

apl68

Quote from: the_geneticist on May 22, 2024, 02:09:27 PMStudent is shocked, I say, shocked that I wouldn't let him participate when he arrived 20 minutes late for lab. 

He tried arguing with the TA, TA sent SUS to me, I said he was too late to participate & to email me.

QuoteHello, I am the guy that you didn't let in the lab today. Is it possible that you can send me the make up online, thanks.
[Super Upset Student]

Reminds me a bit of a certain spouse of mine who was in the habit of giving me and other adults orders, then adding "please" as an obvious afterthought.
God gave Noah the rainbow sign
No more water, but the fire next time
When this world's all on fire
Hide me over, Rock of Ages, cleft for me

FishProf

Who's ready for a game of spot the question?

"Good morning FISHPROF! How are you! I hope you had a nice long weekend!

I am sorry to bother you, but I have a question regarding the gradebook.

This past week/weekend I have already completed 15 quizzes/assignments. The total average of those is 90.6%.

I've read on your announcements that there might be a glitch on Blackboard:

"UPDATE: There was a (IMO stupid) default setting in the gradebook. I have corrected the one I am aware of, but there may be others."

I am planning on completing 15 per week/weekend which would be sufficient for the total number of assignments before the final exam.

I am working hard in order to finish strong with my average 3.9/4.0GPA - Summa Cum Laude!

I am a non-traditional/international student, and an A is the key to my future studies/academic endeavours in the United States.

Thank you very much for your time, attention and consideration.

Warmest regards,
Stu"

Yeah, I didn't see one either.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

kaysixteen

I don't get it-- is the glitch his fault or not?  What exactly is this student talking about?

FishProf

The glitch was a blackboard default setting that was causing inaccurate grades.  I fixed it and told the class about it.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

the_geneticist

Quote from: Langue_doc on May 22, 2024, 03:22:51 PM

[Super Upset Student]

Was it you who had a TA that would have allowed Stu to participate? Pardon the syntax--it's been a long day.

Yes, I've had some overly lax/non-confrontational TAs who would have let them in.  Makes the job harder for everyone else.