News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Favorite student emails

Started by ergative, July 03, 2019, 03:06:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

apl68

Quote from: the_geneticist on August 27, 2024, 09:26:35 AM
Quote from: Puget on August 26, 2024, 02:50:18 PMI'm currently serving as undergrad advising head for one of my programs, and getting many favorite emails, but this one hit just about every no-no there is (it was a fresh peep so I was gentle in my reeducation). 
Paraphrasing here -
QuoteHi [Firstname]
I need to declare the major - how do I do that?** I need it for a scholarship that is due on the 9/30 so please respond immediately. I am available to meet with you all weekend.

** All the information they needed is in the section of the program website helpfully labeled "how to declare the major".

Other recent favorites include a student who emailed saying that they "urgently needed" to get off the waitlist for two advanced seminars in order to complete the major, and could I intervene with the professors since she had emailed them but they weren't responding?  I look the student up and she is in fact a junior not a senior, and has not taken a bunch of the other courses she need to take for the major yet, which are open. Nice dice buttercup.

"I am available to meet with you all weekend." 
Oh boy
I have a colleague that includes an assignment on how to email an instructor.  Every single time, he has to explain that we are not available 24/7, it's reasonable to wait 24 hours before expecting a reply, etc.

Or to put it another way:  "I'm not your mother."
For our light affliction, which is only for a moment, works for us a far greater and eternal weight of glory.  We look not at the things we can see, but at those we can't.  For the things we can see are temporary, but those we can't see are eternal.

aside

Quote from: the_geneticist on August 27, 2024, 09:26:35 AM"I am available to meet with you all weekend." 
Oh boy

I've been seeing that one lately.  And things like "I know Monday is a holiday, but I can come by your office then."

Langue_doc

Quote...so please respond immediately. I am available to meet with you all weekend.

I once had a potential student who emailed me the Friday before the Labor Day weekend demanding that I respond to her email "ASAP" to meet with her during the weekend. Stu was enrolled in a section that met earlier in the day, but wanted to switch to my section that met at 10. Stu was well aware that only the registrar's office could assign courses/sections, but thought that strong-arming me would somehow do the trick.

the_geneticist

Got a good one!

QuoteGood Morning,
My name is [last minute stu] and I am a student in your [baskets 101] lab [TODAY]. I wanted to email saying the following. As of this morning the [basket analysis] website was shut down due to a fire. I have attached a screenshot of the message that appears when opening the website. Our group was almost done with the project in it's entirety. We were planning on finishing up on the [basket analysis] so that we can collect the data and make two pie charts showing a comparison on [basket-y things]. But because we can't get our [basket data] anymore, we cannot finish the [basket analysis] of our project. Is there an alternative website to that that will allow us to progress with our project? Thank you in advance for your response.

"Almost done" except for the analysis that is the absolutely essential part of your presentation that is TODAY.  And they had time in class TWO WEEKS ago to finish. 

I sent them a link to a list of free [basket analysis] websites.  No idea what kind of computer they have so it's up to them to figure out which ones are compatible.

How much cheese will I need to go with the inevitable whine/wine?

Puget

Quote from: the_geneticist on August 27, 2024, 09:26:35 AM"I am available to meet with you all weekend." 
Oh boy
I have a colleague that includes an assignment on how to email an instructor.  Every single time, he has to explain that we are not available 24/7, it's reasonable to wait 24 hours before expecting a reply, etc.

Yeah, this inspired me to have this conversation with the pre-orientation group I was leading this weekend (which included me pointing out that yes, I was currently working with students on the weekend, but that's the exception that makes the rule). They were surprisingly into this discussion, and did a pretty good job of brainstorming themselves about how to address the email, what info to provide, how long is reasonable, etc. Also a part of the discussion -- that they need to check their university email at least once a day.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

the_geneticist

Quote from: aside on August 27, 2024, 10:18:24 AM
Oh boy

I've been seeing that one lately.  And things like "I know Monday is a holiday, but I can come by your office then."

They could try, but the building will be locked and I won't be there!

the_geneticist

Got a new one:

QuoteGood Evening Dr. [Geneticist],
I was writing you this email in regard to the final on Friday. Would it be possible to take it Thursday instead? My family is leaving for a cruise Friday morning and I would prefer to get it out of the way the day before. If there is anyway you can make that happen it would be so appreciated. Thank You so much in advance.

Sincerely,

[cruising stu]

I'd prefer you take it as scheduled.
Also, the exam is online. 

apl68

Quote from: the_geneticist on August 29, 2024, 09:24:47 AMGot a new one:

I was writing you this email in regard to the final on Friday. Would it be possible to take it Thursday instead? My family is leaving for a cruise Friday morning and I would prefer to get it out of the way the day before. If there is anyway you can make that happen it would be so appreciated. Thank You so much in advance.

Sincerely,

[cruising stu]

Well...at least the student isn't asking to put off something like they so often seem to do.  Any other cruising student would have asked to postpone taking the exam until after the cruise.  Or even see whether there was a way to get out of doing it altogether.
For our light affliction, which is only for a moment, works for us a far greater and eternal weight of glory.  We look not at the things we can see, but at those we can't.  For the things we can see are temporary, but those we can't see are eternal.

Langue_doc

Sincerely,

[cruising stu]

Do you have a magic wand to turn Friday into Thursday?

the_geneticist

Quote from: apl68 on August 29, 2024, 09:51:54 AM

Sincerely,

[cruising stu]

Well...at least the student isn't asking to put off something like they so often seem to do.  Any other cruising student would have asked to postpone taking the exam until after the cruise.  Or even see whether there was a way to get out of doing it altogether.

The exam is tomorrow, they asked me yesterday.  If they were planning ahead for Fall & asked in Week 1, I'd be willing the work something out.

waterboy

Don't cruise ships have internet access these days?  Let them have a little exam fun on day 1 of the cruise.
"I know you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure that what you heard was not what I meant."

bio-nonymous

Quote from: aside on August 27, 2024, 10:18:24 AM
Oh boy

Ha, Ha! the funny thing we get is them wanting 24/7 access to us, but complaints (this happened a couple of years in a row after the pandemic) if we send out messages on weekends or outside of "business hours". The whole "customer is always right" and "bend over backwards to please the customer" aspect of the higher ed business model is silly. Wanting total access but yet not to be bothered when YOU don't feel like it is pretty presumptuous. When I send things out outside of "business hours" I am not expecting replies--just trying desperately to shorten my to do list...which, of course, is impossible to get done only during so-called business hours.

the_geneticist

Quote from: waterboy on August 29, 2024, 11:10:36 AMDon't cruise ships have internet access these days?  Let them have a little exam fun on day 1 of the cruise.

Yes, cruise ships have internet.  Can you image the average person on a ship that DIDN'T have internet?  They would mutiny!
Stu can figure it out.

Puget

Sincerely,

[cruising stu]

This is why I have in bold on the syllabus "Non-emergency travel is NOT an excused absence. Per university policy final exams can only be given in their designated time slots. Do NOT book travel until the final exam schedule is posted!" Still, there is always at least one who thinks surely this does not apply to them.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

AmLitHist

Quote from: Langue_doc on August 29, 2024, 10:06:49 AM

Sincerely,

[cruising stu]

Do you have a magic wand to turn Friday into Thursday?

If so, could we talk about you using it and taking me back to before I decided to enter academia (i.e., when I used to be happy and far less stressed)?