Service Department Tractor Beam - Irreversible?

Started by Zeus Bird, January 13, 2022, 07:51:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeus Bird

Thanks for the replies, everyone.  It is clear that reversing this trajectory requires broad-based support from inside and outside the department.  As I assess my situation, I continue to work on a realistic prognosis of what degree of collective effort might emerge at the school.

mleok

Quote from: Zeus Bird on January 23, 2022, 06:07:18 AM
Thanks for the replies, everyone.  It is clear that reversing this trajectory requires broad-based support from inside and outside the department.  As I assess my situation, I continue to work on a realistic prognosis of what degree of collective effort might emerge at the school.

At the very least, it requires your department to take a cold hard look at your curriculum and course offerings, and ask hard questions about what students truly need and care about, as opposed to simply narrowly focusing on what your faculty want to teach.

Wahoo Redux

Our entire uni is in flux.  Enrollment is down and COVID seems to have badly damaged student ethos.  We are not sure how many of our students are coming back, hurting our already terrible retention efforts.  It is not clear what the admin is doing about all this except that they have started "sunsetting" low-enrollment majors and letting lines die.  My FT NTT will probably be gone in a couple of months.

But our humanities department is somewhat successful as a service department.  The department was approached by the business school, and we have a number of classes designed specifically for business students which always have waiting lists.

The department actually seems to be surviving by becoming even more of a service department, even if it will lose a lot of its structure.  These business-oriented class are boring for those of us who are actually passionate about our core subjects-----but they do guarantee some people will have jobs.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

Parasaurolophus

I'm very sorry to hear that, Wahoo Redux. My fingers are crossed for you.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

One language department I know of did a line in "XXX" for business courses.

Requirement was two year's basic courses and then a years' work with business forms, standard boiler-plate terms and phrases, national preferences in style, etc.

They did a small certificate program with another year's work on both the language basics and the business materials; they later added another certificate with a focus on a couple of areas, like computer technology and medicine, and another with medical and scientific translation with more work.

The basic classes became feeders for the certificate programs, which supported the basics for those who needed them for other things--like, say, literature, humanities research, etc.

Win-win, as far as I could tell.

M.

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

kiana

Quote from: mamselle on January 23, 2022, 09:20:16 PM

Requirement was two year's basic courses and then a years' work with business forms, standard boiler-plate terms and phrases, national preferences in style, etc.

They did a small certificate program with another year's work on both the language basics and the business materials; they later added another certificate with a focus on a couple of areas, like computer technology and medicine, and another with medical and scientific translation with more work.

The basic classes became feeders for the certificate programs, which supported the basics for those who needed them for other things--like, say, literature, humanities research, etc.

M.

One of my techy friends started out doing that for Japanese, fell in love with the language and culture, ended up double majoring, and used that to get a really great job with a Japanese tech company. They pay for him to go to Japan, too.

Wahoo Redux

Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

mamselle

Quote from: kiana on January 24, 2022, 06:41:37 AM
Quote from: mamselle on January 23, 2022, 09:20:16 PM

M.

One of my techy friends started out doing that for Japanese, fell in love with the language and culture, ended up double majoring, and used that to get a really great job with a Japanese tech company. They pay for him to go to Japan, too.

Yes, there are a couple of online free-lance transcription agencies who send out a test, and if you do the transcription correctly, you're hired on an ad-hoc basis. The 'better-known' languages for English speakers (especially French, German, Spanish, and Russian) for tech and medical stuff, pay particularly well.

I did a tiny bit of this for a group that didn't pay quite as well and was always in a hurry; for medical transcription in particular, accuracy usually requires a close read-through since many terms are just one or two letters away from many other terms (endo-, vs. exo, for example...you wouldn't want to get THOSE wrong!); I was going to apply to one of the online groups but then got started on a different sort of position entirely so never did.

But if you language chops are strong, it's good money in some cases, and it's remote, and it's often interesting in a fly-on-the-wall kind of way.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.