News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Weird Zoom Log-in times.

Started by jerseyjay, January 27, 2022, 06:11:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerseyjay

After a semester in the classroom, my school has moved back to Zoom (although this may just be temporary).

Every time somebody logs onto the Zoom "channel" for a course, Zoom sends me an email.

I have noticed (as in past semesters) that I have been receiving these emails at odd times. For example, if a class is at Monday at 3pm, I might get an email on Tuesday at noon. Oh well, I figured, maybe the student got confused and logged into the wrong class. Sometimes students log in before the class starts (say, at noon for a class at 1pm), but I figure that some students log in early, then leave the computer on while they do other things.

But lately I have been getting notices at weird times: Saturday at 3 in the morning, for example. Why would a student log into Zoom at that time? Do other people have the same experience?

ciao_yall

Sometimes they are just clicking on the link.

Puget

Students often decide to test out the links before the first class, and sometimes do so at odd times (I've also learned more than I wanted to know about our students' sleep habits from when they post things on the LMS). If it persists after the first week of classes however I don't really have a theory for that.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

ciao_yall

You can turn off the notifications.

research_prof

Some students are probably trying to test the zoom link out.

the_geneticist

It's the online version of finding the classroom.  I am no longer surprised by the super late night student emails/assignment submissions/etc.  but I'm still amazed when they expect an immediate reply at 3am.  Uh, no.  I'm a real person who needs sleep, not a chat bot.

marshwiggle

Quote from: the_geneticist on January 27, 2022, 07:35:36 AM
It's the online version of finding the classroom.  I am no longer surprised by the super late night student emails/assignment submissions/etc.  but I'm still amazed when they expect an immediate reply at 3am.  Uh, no.  I'm a real person who needs sleep, not a chat bot.

Don't you sleep with your phone under your pillow?????
It takes so little to be above average.

Biologist_

Quote from: ciao_yall on January 27, 2022, 06:57:50 AM
You can turn off the notifications.

The email notification is useful when I forget to start my Zoom office hours but I have my email open on the computer screen in front of me. It's the equivalent of a student knocking on my office door for in-person office hours.

lightning

It's also a good idea to check on the name of the person that logged in at the weird hour, to see if it's actually someone that you are expecting to see later.