News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Older Adjunct/Relating to Students

Started by mahagonny, February 07, 2022, 05:36:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

little bongo

Good points as usual, smallcleanrat. Thank you for your contributions--they do help to make this place a true resource.

Caracal

Quote from: jerseyjay on February 10, 2022, 09:58:52 AM
Quote from: mahagonny on February 09, 2022, 02:36:26 PM
No, my personality plays a role. If I were not liked by both students and faculty, I'd have been out the door years ago.
I do not know Mahagonny personally, and have no idea if they are popular. If, however, the OP is popular with students who keep signing up for their class, I don't understand the point of this thread.

There's probably something to the idea that it can be harder for adjuncts to attract students to their classes. It isn't that students have prejudices against adjuncts. Most of my students are totally unaware that I'm an adjunct. However other factors can play a role.

Adjuncts don't have advisees who are probably more likely to take classes with their advisors.

Adjuncts often are teaching more than tenure track faculty and that can make it harder to interact as much with students. It also might mean you can't get things back to students as quickly or spend as much time on each class.

If fewer of your colleagues know you, they are probably less likely to recommend your class to other students.

You are more likely to get plugged into weird time slots. That's probably true even if you have a chair who is trying to do things equitably. More things are locked in with full time faculty schedules. You have to leave times open for department meetings, the thesis seminar might need to be taught at a certain time etc. That might leave various holes that adjuncts plug, but it can result in teaching at times many students find unappealing.

mahagonny

Quote from: Caracal on February 10, 2022, 10:30:55 AM
Quote from: jerseyjay on February 10, 2022, 09:58:52 AM
Quote from: mahagonny on February 09, 2022, 02:36:26 PM
No, my personality plays a role. If I were not liked by both students and faculty, I'd have been out the door years ago.
I do not know Mahagonny personally, and have no idea if they are popular. If, however, the OP is popular with students who keep signing up for their class, I don't understand the point of this thread.

There's probably something to the idea that it can be harder for adjuncts to attract students to their classes. It isn't that students have prejudices against adjuncts. Most of my students are totally unaware that I'm an adjunct. However other factors can play a role.

Adjuncts don't have advisees who are probably more likely to take classes with their advisors.

Adjuncts often are teaching more than tenure track faculty and that can make it harder to interact as much with students. It also might mean you can't get things back to students as quickly or spend as much time on each class.

If fewer of your colleagues know you, they are probably less likely to recommend your class to other students.

You are more likely to get plugged into weird time slots. That's probably true even if you have a chair who is trying to do things equitably. More things are locked in with full time faculty schedules. You have to leave times open for department meetings, the thesis seminar might need to be taught at a certain time etc. That might leave various holes that adjuncts plug, but it can result in teaching at times many students find unappealing.

There definitely is something to that. That is the whole story in this department. It is essential for adjunct faculty to attract students. Any adjunct faculty member can propose any course in this particular category if they can get it populated. I repeat, these particular courses are not tracked in sequence. It is very different from a tenure granting research university. If you are not attracting students, you barely get work. So how students are attracted to the offerings you get to teach and are identified with in the mind of a twenty year old is a very ponderous, big deal.
Since part-timers are relatively cheaper and can propose new courses, the department is incentivized to over-hire.
When I first started teaching here years ago almost the first professor I said hello to was Mike English. I was delighted to see him as he had taught me. Shortly after that I heard students talking just before class began. One said, 'I'm studying with this really old guy, Mike English. I don't know how I ended up in that section. Never again.' He was full time though so he got salary.
I told the kids 'wow! Imagine the amount of experience Mike English has had in his career! There is a lot you could learn from a guy like that.' Silence.
Honestly I'm ready to do something else anyway. The faculty and the students are beginning to resemble each other more and more. I am happy being my arrogant self, of course, as always, when it works. But this is where the money is.

QuoteI mean, I've had my disagreements with mahagonny in the past, and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to deal with a department full of mahagonnys (mahagonnies?)

We'd get along great. I'm quiet as a mouse. I don't mean mahagonny's quiet. Mahagonny's a pain in the ass. I'm quiet. And professional, down to my tieclip.
take me out drinking though, and it's on you. You asked for it.

jimbogumbo

Quote from: mahagonny on February 07, 2022, 08:22:07 PM

Of course you would have reacted, as a student, as I did, positively. But you were well above average, not typical.

Words are never for ornateness, only clarity, I was taught. But the more words you know the more thinking you have, probably.

Agree with first statement above.

Disagree respectfully with second (not that you were taught that, just don't think it's true). In fiction think Stephen King or Elmore Leonard. They always seem(ed) to me to be trying for correct word usage and clarity but are never ornate. Both very readable in contrast to many authors I enjoy, who I would argue are using words aimed at correct usage but not clarity. I try to communicate with my students in the same way King and Leonard communicate with me, the reader.

I think that doing that might be better in the way of promoting your classes also.

Apropos of nothing, my Mother always did what you describe with me and my siblings. We were constantly looking things up. We were clearly advantaged by this when we went to college.

mahagonny

Quote from: jimbogumbo on February 10, 2022, 12:07:27 PM

Of course you would have reacted, as a student, as I did, positively. But you were well above average, not typical.

Words are never for ornateness, only clarity, I was taught. But the more words you know the more thinking you have, probably.

Disagree respectfully with second (not that you were taught that, just don't think it's true). In fiction think Stephen King or Elmore Leonard. They always seem(ed) to me to be trying for correct word usage and clarity but are never ornate. Both very readable in contrast to many authors I enjoy, who I would argue are using words aimed at correct usage but not clarity. I try to communicate with my students in the same way King and Leonard communicate with me, the reader.

I'm not following. It sounds like we do agree that clarity should be the priority. Or maybe you're saying something more complex that I would understand if I really knew anything about language and writing.

As a teacher, if you're not communicating, you're losing. There's no point in asking whose fault it is. Maybe society is getting dumber. So what. Whatever the truth is about that, you have to make your way through it.
At the same time, using a more uncommon word on occasion makes me feel like I've got style. Like I wore a suit and tie even though no one required it. I'm not trying to be cryptic, just having a little fun. I thought the students might catch the bug.
I guess the other piece of this tedious soul searching that I do is the question, can I be myself and remain popular enough to get work, as a person who's not young?
I did get some interested looks of, hopefully, approval, when I announced to the class in September that I am gender non-binary. But I think they quickly forgot.
Maybe I'll work on my wardrobe.

jerseyjay

Quote from: Caracal on February 10, 2022, 10:30:55 AM

I agree with this. Adjunct professors are more likely to have the "ears and snouts" classes that full-timers don't want, are less likely to have a "following" among students, and are more likely to get bounced from a class. (Because full-timers need to make load, they will bump an adjunct.)  Adjunct professors are also more likely to teach intro level classes to students who are not really into the material. Adjunct professors are more likely to come to class and then leave, since they don't have an office and have to be at another campus. By definition, "adjuncts" are not seen as central to the institutions they work at.

All of this is true. But I still don't understand the point of this thread, since none of this seems to have anything to do with an adjunct professor's vocabulary. But maybe I need to read the OP more carefully instead of just perusing it.

smallcleanrat

Quote from: little bongo on February 10, 2022, 10:05:05 AM
Good points as usual, smallcleanrat. Thank you for your contributions--they do help to make this place a true resource.

Aw, shucks. Thanks, little bongo.

Quote from: mahagonny on February 10, 2022, 05:21:02 PM
[...]
As a teacher, if you're not communicating, you're losing. There's no point in asking whose fault it is. Maybe society is getting dumber. So what. Whatever the truth is about that, you have to make your way through it.
At the same time, using a more uncommon word on occasion makes me feel like I've got style. Like I wore a suit and tie even though no one required it. I'm not trying to be cryptic, just having a little fun. I thought the students might catch the bug.
I guess the other piece of this tedious soul searching that I do is the question, can I be myself and remain popular enough to get work, as a person who's not young?
[...]

As an exercise in basic soul searching, you might ask yourself whether your actions are consistent with your stated values.

You say clarity should be top priority. If this is so, how is your choice of words serving this priority?

jimbogumbo pointed out that clarity can be achieved with simple, straightforward language. 'Elevated' vocabulary isn't required, and may even make communication less effective if thoughtlessly applied.

If you are just using a word so you can feel good about having 'style' then are you not prioritizing ornament (if not quite ornateness) over clarity?

jerseyjay and Caracal have pointed out that "peruse" is an ambiguous term as it has two common uses with contradictory meanings. jerseyjay further pointed out the ambiguity of "not assigned at this time," as this leaves open the question of whether it will be assigned at a later time or if it is entirely optional.

How does ambiguous language support clarity?

Adjusting your communication style for your students doesn't have to rob you of your identity as someone who 'cares about words.' You can still be someone who cares about words even if you are prioritizing clear communication over 'richness' of language.

'Code switching' of the type people have described earlier in this thread is a verbal skill of its own.

As someone who also loves books and words in general, I reconcile this part of my identity with the practical need for code switching by considering it a type of creative challenge (like when people write stories using only six words). With this mindset, finding ways to communicate a message within the limits relevant to whoever it is I want to communicate with is just another way to explore the possibilities of language.

mahagonny

All of this is true. But I still don't understand the point of this thread, since none of this seems to have anything to do with an adjunct professor's vocabulary. But maybe I need to read the OP more carefully instead of just perusing it.

Perhaps.

QuoteBy definition, "adjuncts" are not seen as central to the institutions they work at.

see 'asides' thread

jimbogumbo

Quote from: mahagonny on February 10, 2022, 05:21:02 PM
Quote from: jimbogumbo on February 10, 2022, 12:07:27 PM

I'm not following. It sounds like we do agree that clarity should be the priority. Or maybe you're saying something more complex that I would understand if I really knew anything about language and writing.

I did get some interested looks of, hopefully, approval, when I announced to the class in September that I am gender non-binary. But I think they quickly forgot.
Maybe I'll work on my wardrobe.

I think I do agree with you (I sacrificed clarity for speed, heh), but was trying to say my Mom's strategy and what I think you are doing don't contribute to clarity for your students.

Aster

So much depends on where you work, what you teach, and how many other professors teach the same course.

Because at larger universities, students can and will shop around looking for the easiest professors.

In my experience, the most "popular" professors are almost always the ones who dole out the most A's and B's.

I'd like to state that this a universal truth at Big Urban College, but there are a tiny handful of "popular" professors who buck that pattern. But nearly all of them are the sole instructor for that course type.

My advice: Teach a class that nobody else at the university teaches. Be the sole instructor. You'll see your popularity pop up pretty fast.

Or: Give 90% of your classes A's and B's. Your classes will be the first ones to fill up every semester.

downer

I generally find my main goal is to try to scare away bad students from my courses in the first week, so long as I have enough students for the course to run.

Assign them a book to summarize the day before add/drop finishes.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

mahagonny

Quote from: Aster on February 11, 2022, 12:44:17 PM
So much depends on where you work, what you teach, and how many other professors teach the same course.

Because at larger universities, students can and will shop around looking for the easiest professors.

In my experience, the most "popular" professors are almost always the ones who dole out the most A's and B's.

I'd like to state that this a universal truth at Big Urban College, but there are a tiny handful of "popular" professors who buck that pattern. But nearly all of them are the sole instructor for that course type.

My advice: Teach a class that nobody else at the university teaches. Be the sole instructor. You'll see your popularity pop up pretty fast.

Or: Give 90% of your classes A's and B's. Your classes will be the first ones to fill up every semester.

What the heck? Give them all A's, because numerical scoring is an instrument of white supremacy and must be neutralized.

Quote from: downer on February 11, 2022, 02:42:12 PM
I generally find my main goal is to try to scare away bad students from my courses in the first week, so long as I have enough students for the course to run.

Assign them a book to summarize the day before add/drop finishes.

Yeah, I've done that. Next Monday the knuckleheads are gone.

mahagonny

Bad students get their fifteen minutes of fame on 'Rate My Professor.'

Which type of entry on 'Rate My Professors' will get higher enrollment so your course will run? Which type will get you the right students, because you already have plenty?

1. Professor Mahag is a strict grader but a very fair one. I learned more than I ever have in this school with their course. Students who come here to complain just didn't put in the work.
2. Professor Mahagonny is a blast! Funny, and I missed two quizzes and still got an A.
3. Always available for extra coaching. Generous with his time. Best prof I've had.
4. Doesn't do office hours, takes 24 hours to answer email when he answers at all.
5. Tries too hard to be cool.
6. Finally the department has hired a couple of hot professors. Luv ya, stud muffin!
7. Uses words I didn't know previously, writes the definition on the whiteboard. Vocabulary is a fun thing to delve into.
8. I cant understand this dude talking. DO NOT TAKE.
9. So tired of looking at those bow ties. How can this man exist?
10. What are office hours?

Aster

Quote from: mahagonny on February 12, 2022, 05:26:02 AM

Which type of entry on 'Rate My Professors' will get higher enrollment so your course will run? Which type will get you the right students, because you already have plenty?

1. Professor Mahag is a strict grader but a very fair one. I learned more than I ever have in this school with their course. Students who come here to complain just didn't put in the work.
2. Professor Mahagonny is a blast! Funny, and I missed two quizzes and still got an A.
3. Always available for extra coaching. Generous with his time. Best prof I've had.
4. Doesn't do office hours, takes 24 hours to answer email when he answers at all.
6. Finally the department has hired a couple of hot professors. Luv ya, stud muffin!
7. Uses words I didn't know previously, writes the definition on the whiteboard. Vocabulary is a fun thing to delve into.

For RMP, only one thing truly matters. The "Easy A".

mahagonny

Quote from: Aster on February 12, 2022, 05:43:44 AM
Quote from: mahagonny on February 12, 2022, 05:26:02 AM

For RMP, only one thing truly matters. The "Easy A".

Ah. #1 and #7 must have been written by the professor posing as a student.

ETA: I have never done this, but hey...you're never too old to have new experiences.