News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Older Adjunct/Relating to Students

Started by mahagonny, February 07, 2022, 05:36:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mahagonny

I just realized something that I do. I use words that I don't think the students know. Is this proper communication? Example: I told the students in our last class that I would send them a PDF that would not be assigned reading at this time. But it would be theirs to delve into should they wish to. I did this because I have to teach to the median level of the class, which means one or two are not strongly challenged. They will complete the assigned work easily.
My email included the message "attached: two PDF's. Not assigned at this time. For your perusal." And then I repeated in the email what the specific assignment is for this week.
I could type 'perusal means...' but then I might be condescending.
When I was a student and I heard a word I didn't know I looked it up. At least I think I did that. It's been a few years. I do that now. The way other faculty at the school would talk would be ''check this out. You might find it interesting." Some of them don't even use phrases such as 'you might find it interesting.'
This school does not have a tenure system and a smaller minority of the faculty are PhD. The other faculty are either less interested in words than I am or probably just more pragmatic. Their approach seems to be to go out of their way to speak like the students do. Of course, as I go along, more and more of the faculty are younger than I am, so maybe I'm odd man out.
Competing with my interest in using, not words that only the super educated know, but merely what I consider common grown-up vocabulary as a matter of teaching in a way that elevates as opposed to 19 year old person dialect is the problem that it's part popularity contest. If your classes don't populate they don't run. This happens to all of us (majority) part-timers from time to time. So it's absolutely a popularity contest.
Since I began long ago I have always been conscious of this dilemma. I try to guard against what I consider slippage in quality/rigor that I see as resulting from lack of job security and consistent income.
I don't have a problem feeling that the students like me, but that doesn't always translate into the fuller schedule that I prefer.
Oh, BTW, writing is not my field. So knowing more words won't get them a better grade. It's just a fun hobby that I have so I like to encourage it.
At the same time, the nomenclature in our field is being sadly neglected. Whatever terms students use for things is too often acquiesced to in the interest of making a personal connection. Or maybe just lack of interest in words on the part of the teacher.
I almost never say 'awesome' or 'amazing' because very few things are.
Perhaps what I need is recommended reading.
Or maybe I'm just a snob and I need to accept it.

Caracal

To be honest, perusal is the sort of word that I don't usually use in academic writing, never mind in an email. It's just a slightly antiquated word. In this context, I'm not even sure it is really that helpful in conveying your meaning. "You might find this interesting" tells students why you are putting up a non required reading. For your perusal just means "for reading" or possibly "for your skimming over."

I don't try to dumb down my language for the classroom. If there's a word or term that's important for students to understand, I use it and we talk about what it means. That's often useful because even if students have a general sense of what a word means, the particular context can be important to understand. It would be embarrassing if I tried to talk like a young person, but I do use a fairly colloquial register in the classroom. That feels  normal and natural to me. I use a slightly different colloquial register when I'm discussing my work at a seminar or answering questions at a conference. I don't really think it makes sense to equate bigger words with intellectual rigor.

jerseyjay

Assuming that the point of this post is not to stroke your ego about how you know more than your students, I am not sure that the use of the word "perusal" signifies quality or rigor. Perusal means to read, especially with an eye to finding the part(s) you find interesting. So what you are telling students is you are sending them an article that they can read.

I, too, sometimes send articles out to students relevant to the class but not required. (Usually these are newspaper articles about relevant subjects.) I usually say something like, "I thought you might be interested in the following article in today's newspaper about basketweaving."

But from a perusal of your post, it is not clear what your problem is. Do students complain you are sending too much to read? Are they reading the material, and then complaining it's not on the exam? Are they asking what "perusal" means? Do you actually have any indication that students do not understand your email?

In terms of cancelling underenrolled sections. This may be a popularity contest. If your sections are the only ones that are not getting enough students while others at the same time are, then maybe people don't like you (your reading, your voice, your attitude, your clothing, your gender, etc). This might mean you are doing something wrong, or that you are doing something right. Are your classes consistently underenrolled no matter what subject or time? My experience is that assuming most of your students are ignorant or stupid will not result in being popular.

But as somebody who has had a hand in course scheduling, I can also say that time and subject have a bit to do with this and not just instructor. A class at 8am on Friday will almost always be underenrolled compared to one at 11am on Tuesday. A hard class (whatever that means) will often be underenrolled compared to an easy class (whatever that means).

Aster

I am going to wager that you're probably at a community college, a for-profit university, or an otherwise non-selective institution.

At these types of institutions, mean student literacy rates tend to be much lower than what many professors were accustomed to from their alumni undergraduate and graduate institutions. Most all of us started out at selective institutions, and virtually all of us completed our graduate work at those types of institutions.

Open enrollment places are often much more like Grade 13.

So yeah, you'll start learning that there are a lot of "basic" vocabulary words that many of your students will not know. Likewise, there will be a lot "basic" math, science, history, (insert anything) that many students will not know. Most of us went through U.S. high schools' "college prep" or honors or AP programs. Similarly, most college students attending R2's or higher would have been through those programs. But the typical community college student? No, they probably were on a lower academic track at their high schools; one that was not intended or designed for college.

For incoming professors, it can be a surprising. But as PhD holders, we are masters of reading and writing. Given enough classroom observation and assessment analysis, we can adapt our lesson plans and assessments to make them more "readable" for our students. It just takes time.

smallcleanrat

+1 to jerseyjay's and Aster's posts.

Quote from: jerseyjay on February 07, 2022, 07:47:18 AM
[...]
But from a perusal of your post, it is not clear what your problem is. Do students complain you are sending too much to read? Are they reading the material, and then complaining it's not on the exam? Are they asking what "perusal" means? Do you actually have any indication that students do not understand your email?
[...]

I had the same questions. You say you use words you don't "think" students know, but do you have reason to believe students are reacting negatively to this or are you speculating?

Depending on your student population, it may be true that they have a more limited vocabulary than you did when you were an undergrad. It may also be true that they lack certain study habits like independent use of reference material when they encounter a word or concept they don't know.

But if you are conveying an attitude of disdain for your students and their other professors, that might be more of a contributor to 'unpopularity' than using words (you think) they don't know.

Your post as a whole gives the impression you view yourself as the lone defender of intellectual rigor and academic integrity at your university. Consider that some of the statements in your post here ("The other faculty are less interested in words than I am...") might come across as a touch arrogant.

If there actually is an issue with students avoiding your courses because they don't like your communication style, seriously consider whether refusal to 'dumb down' your language is the only possible explanation.

lilyb

I've also found it challenging to balance between my desire for more precise, elevated language and the students' reasonable need to get what I'm saying. I'm in a language field and will not confine  myself to the vocabulary range of most students (and the 18 year-old me, for that matter).

When I use a "big word" now, I try to phrase it in a simpler way immediately after, in a verbal parentheses.  It's kind of like code-switching and seems to work.

marshwiggle

Quote from: lilyb on February 07, 2022, 09:17:10 AM
I've also found it challenging to balance between my desire for more precise, elevated language and the students' reasonable need to get what I'm saying. I'm in a language field and will not confine  myself to the vocabulary range of most students (and the 18 year-old me, for that matter).

When I use a "big word" now, I try to phrase it in a simpler way immediately after, in a verbal parentheses.  It's kind of like code-switching and seems to work.

Yes, part of the point of higher education in any field is making students understand the importance of specific vocabulary within that field that has precise meaning (sometimes different than common usage of the terms) which makes communication more clear and efficient. This should help them to understand the value of expanded vocabulary in general, since there is much more to life than just informal conversation with peers.
It takes so little to be above average.

the_geneticist

Quote from: mahagonny on February 07, 2022, 05:36:59 AM
I just realized something that I do. I use words that I don't think the students know. Is this proper communication? Example: I told the students in our last class that I would send them a PDF that would not be assigned reading at this time. But it would be theirs to delve into should they wish to. I did this because I have to teach to the median level of the class, which means one or two are not strongly challenged. They will complete the assigned work easily.
My email included the message "attached: two PDF's. Not assigned at this time. For your perusal." And then I repeated in the email what the specific assignment is for this week.

Why are you sending extra readings anyway?  Completing the assigned work is all the students need to do in your class.  If they aren't challenged in your class, it's fine.  They have many other responsibilities and might be happy to have a relatively easy course.
You could always say "If anyone wants to read more on [topic], let me know.  I have lots of interesting articles/poems/etc. that I can share".
I'd bet good money that no one will ASK for extra.
You sound like an arrogant jerk.  Teach the students you have, don't make life more difficult for the students you think ought to be "strongly challenged".

smallcleanrat

This is a good example of why it's worth considering how to 'speak student.' it allows the use of language they already understand to help them learn new terms.

As people here have pointed out, the 'perusal' example isn't clearly related to academic rigor as replacing the word with more straightforward language does not result in loss of meaning.

smallcleanrat

Quote from: the_geneticist on February 07, 2022, 09:48:44 AM

Why are you sending extra readings anyway?  Completing the assigned work is all the students need to do in your class.  If they aren't challenged in your class, it's fine.  They have many other responsibilities and might be happy to have a relatively easy course.
You could always say "If anyone wants to read more on [topic], let me know.  I have lots of interesting articles/poems/etc. that I can share".
You sound like an arrogant jerk.  Teach the students you have, don't make life more difficult for the students you think ought to be "strongly challenged".

I was reading this as OP sending additional readings more as friendly suggestions in case the students were interested in exploring the topic further?

mahagonny

Quote from: smallcleanrat on February 07, 2022, 10:01:03 AM
Quote from: the_geneticist on February 07, 2022, 09:48:44 AM

I was reading this as OP sending additional readings more as friendly suggestions in case the students were interested in exploring the topic further?

Yes. There's no textbook for the course so no one can look ahead if they're done with the assignment and feel enticed. All of the materials are supplied by the instructor.
Also, I teach other things in the department, so it's a way of advertising myself and my knowledge to get those populated. This what many adjunct faculty feel that they have to do when there are too many pigs in the same trough. And of course, some of them have gotten very good at it. In the department meetings the chair stresses the importance of getting the students to know individual faculty and their specialties.
Adjunct faculty in this school are not subjected to the insulting term 'adjunct' that is standard in tenure granting schools. We are known as 'part-time' faculty. We are considered attractions, not temporary stop-gap solutions.
And these students have already either borrowed heavily, maxxed out they scholarship eligibility, or both, so I don't envision them being able to buy books. I have have a vast library at home which I'm happy to share. And people do ask for extra. Why they don't use the library more I don't know. I'm sure they use it some.

ETA:

Quote from: Caracal on February 07, 2022, 07:06:50 AM
To be honest, perusal is the sort of word that I don't usually use in academic writing, never mind in an email. It's just a slightly antiquated word.

i don't see anything in either dictionary.com or merriamwebster about it being archaic. That's part of what I'm ruminating about here. Words fall out of fashion, certainly. How does that happen? Are teachers unwittingly decreasing our knowledge of words by trying to blend in with younger folks on campus?

QuoteAssuming that the point of this post is not to stroke your ego about how you know more than your students, I am not sure that the use of the word "perusal" signifies quality or rigor.

Why would that be an ego boost? That would just be like saying I have more seashells in my collection because I moved to the oceanside five years before you did.

apl68

I grew up in a small blue-collar community, spent 14 years in an urban university setting, and am now back in a small blue-collar community.  Learning to code switch as needed is a very helpful skill.

As far as trying to stimulate interest in exploring a topic further--the thing that most stimulates interest in a topic is relating it to people in a way that involves something that matters to them.  What matters to these students?  What features of your topic can be related to these?
For our light affliction, which is only for a moment, works for us a far greater and eternal weight of glory.  We look not at the things we can see, but at those we can't.  For the things we can see are temporary, but those we can't see are eternal.

mamselle

Light-hearted humor over non-threatening issues (i.e., don't tease someone about being, say, bald or something!) as well as sometimes-simpler words (or both the more precise words plus a simple translation the second time you repeat the phrase, because one often ends up repeating phrases) and a more-equal tone all help with this, I think.

Possibly I get along so well with my middle-schoolers (and have gotten along with kids in general, always) because I take them seriously, don't demean their ideas or feelings, don't feel like I need to prove anything, and am absolutely open to learning from everyone, whether older or younger than I am.

About the subject matter, no, not usually (although I have some heavy readers who can spin rings of logic around me at times, and it's fun) and I do have to sometimes reclaim a certain degree of control of the topics under discussion when we're close to the end of the class, but we do get through it all, and they seem to be learning, so....I think it's working.

I realize it's harder with some older students, who are dealing with more difficult issues, whether of their own making to some degree (drugs, drink, etc.) or not (family support issues, etc.) but even there, a blend of Socrates and Aristotle goes a long way...

In other words, when asking questions, don't play the "match game," with only one possible 'right' word or phrase all the time (sometimes there will be, but getting concepts across first will help them see how the word choice also matters) and let experiential learning be combined, where possible, with more conceptual/cognitive processes.

For an 'experiential' example, we start many classes with an online tone/interval/chord/chord progression/cadence game that they really like: they have to all agree on the answer before I'll enter it, and I don't do more than very vaguely guide them if they're off-track, but they've gotten very good at ear training from that work.

So, when we get to discussing chords more conceptually, they're hearing them internally (a goal of music theory teaching, anyway) and thinking about them in terms of what notes they actually contain, and what a change of a single tone would sound like--making the discussion easier for me to conduct because they're 'with me' more.

For something like chemistry, say, I recall one instructor doing a kind of silly 'call out' of the elemental valences for the first few minutes of class--pointing to the Periodic Table and then to two students: they had to as a team agree on the valence and say it. This took just 5-8 min. while people were coming into class, and actually seemed to get them there faster because the call-outs were interesting.

it also served as an ice-breaker, and--while the teacher was still fully in control of the class--gave them input as people who knew something as well.

Setting the tone in a French or art history class by starting with dances from the region or period we're studying has also worked for me, as I know I've said before.

I realize a lab-based class might not have the same options, but that's the mindset I'd be aiming for--"Mr. Chips" and "Dead Poets' Society" also come to mind....

M.   
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

mahagonny

Quote from: marshwiggle on February 07, 2022, 09:30:25 AM

Yes, part of the point of higher education in any field is making students understand the importance of specific vocabulary within that field that has precise meaning (sometimes different than common usage of the terms) which makes communication more clear and efficient. This should help them to understand the value of expanded vocabulary in general, since there is much more to life than just informal conversation with peers.

Thank you both. You get it. Apropos of my noticing that field nomenclature is being neglected by some, including faculty, and that as language becomes more compressed, generally, life becomes less vivid. Must we take all of our cultural cues from young people and their culture? I love them but I love older people too. If we don't even learn from the presence of older people, what the hell are we doing studying dead people?
As you will have noticed, I'm not an expert in language at all. I'm just interested in it. Anyone can be. Saying a word is antiquated may just be an indication that someone is losing the confidence to speak as an adult who's been around and knows some things.

'Rigor' was the wrong word for me to use regarding using a word I'm not sure everyone knows. It's more like 'richness.'

ETA: 'Forsooth' OTOH is considered archaic by dictionary.com

'forsooth
[ fawr-sooth ]SHOW IPA

📓 High School Level
adverb Archaic.
(now used in derision or to express disbelief) in truth; in fact; indeed.'

'Awesome' has been saved from extinction but its meaning has changed. It was youth culture that did this, and we now imitate them. It's as if the word fell back into use because people that it was funny word. But the new meaning is more commonplace than the original one.
I'm not saying that's wrong. I'm just noticing.

smallcleanrat

You still haven't really described any direct reason to think your use of language is even a problem for your students.

Has any student or colleague directly told you to stop using certain words? Do students complain that you use words they don't know?

Unless it seems that your students frequently can't understand you, why not just keep doing what you're doing?

You say you don't want to restrict your vocabulary, but is anyone pressuring you to do this?

Or is it more a series of inferences: your colleagues restrict their own word use, their classes seem popular, so you are guessing it is the lack of such restriction that makes your classes less popular?