News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Texas LT. Gov. Calls for End of Tenure due to CLT

Started by Golazo, February 19, 2022, 02:05:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruralguy

Oh come on,  how many people do you think listen to NPR even a little bit?  It can't possibly have the influence you suggest, at least not of the magnitude you suggest. Besides, most of it is either fairly dry reporting or pre-recorded non political programming.  Only a small percentage is really commentary, though since I mainly listen during my 5-10 minute commute, maybe I am missing the stuff that's tearing America apart.

mahagonny

Well, either there's something to the 'micro aggressions' controversy or there isn't. The people on the left think NPR is absolutely trustworthy, and I doubt it.

ETA: I mean, saying the blue people moved to Austin so they could be safe is the same kind of thing you'd hear from Lebron James, e.g. 'black people are afraid to go outdoors  because cops are gunning them down for being black.' Really calls for a little skepticism.

Aster

Quote from: Ruralguy on February 20, 2022, 04:59:00 PM
Oh come on,  how many people do you think listen to NPR even a little bit?  It can't possibly have the influence you suggest, at least not of the magnitude you suggest. Besides, most of it is either fairly dry reporting or pre-recorded non political programming.  Only a small percentage is really commentary, though since I mainly listen during my 5-10 minute commute, maybe I am missing the stuff that's tearing America apart.

There isn't hardly any, unless one counts the satire and entertainment pieces. And even those are pretty tame, and mostly confined to weekend shows.

NPR news is exactly that. Like most other major news networks, it is made up of professional journalists. Nearly all of the news commentary sections are standard boilerplate analysis sections performed by trained journalists, who may also bring in professional experts whose expertise is directly relevant. That's how journalism works.

Aster

Quote from: mahagonny on February 20, 2022, 06:31:29 PM
Well, either there's something to the 'micro aggressions' controversy or there isn't. The people on the left think NPR is absolutely trustworthy, and I doubt it.

ETA: I mean, saying the blue people moved to Austin so they could be safe is the same kind of thing you'd hear from Lebron James, e.g. 'black people are afraid to go outdoors  because cops are gunning them down for being black.' Really calls for a little skepticism.

Please don't talk about things that you don't know anything about. Everything that you have said here is not supported by the experts who study these things.

If you don't understand micro-aggressions, you can easily look up references by the experts who study this.

If you don't understand Austin's social culture, you can easily look up references by the experts who study this.

If you don't understand black people living in America today, you can easily look up references by the experts who study this.

mamselle

Is the thread title supposed to be CRT?

I thought that was the totally-misunderstood《bete-noir du moment》....

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

clean

I would be surprised if ending tenure is a new topic in Texas. I suspect that this is just the latest rationale for doing it! 

I think that, except for political office mind you, that 'a job for life. without accountability' (what the legislature probably think it means) is bad and should not exist in Texas. 

Like many things, the follow up question "if this, THEN WHAT'? is missing.  IF tenure ends for new hires, will candidates still apply, and if they do, as they are taking an added risk, will they want more salary to compensate for that risk?

(Will candidates apply?  Yes.
Will they demand more money?  Probably not directly, as they likely dont have any real power.... someone will likely take the salary offered, even if that is not the best candidate pool.
Will these people stay?  Likely not!  IF you are capable of getting tenure and you want it, then you can find a position somewhere else that will offer it.  So start your career in Texas and move after a few years, once you prove your ability to perform.)

What does a higher turnover mean long term for the TX Higher Ed system?  who knows! 
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

mahagonny

QuoteWill these people stay?  Likely not!  IF you are capable of getting tenure and you want it, then you can find a position somewhere else that will offer it.  So start your career in Texas and move after a few years, once you prove your ability to perform.)

Tell people what they want to hear until you've got tenure? How could an honest progressive teach in a state that prohibits the teaching of true history even for a few years?

dismalist

None of this brouhaha would matter if we had more educational choice, including in universities. Give money to people, not schools or colleges, and the disagreements are solved peaceably and productively. 

Here is more explication: https://reason.com/2021/06/28/the-critical-race-theory-debate-wouldnt-matter-if-we-had-more-school-choice/
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: dismalist on February 21, 2022, 02:03:34 PM
None of this brouhaha would matter if we had more educational choice, including in universities. Give money to people, not schools or colleges, and the disagreements are solved peaceably and productively. 

Here is more explication: https://reason.com/2021/06/28/the-critical-race-theory-debate-wouldnt-matter-if-we-had-more-school-choice/

This is bullshit. Critical Race Theory isn't being taught in elementary or secondary schools, and in the few teriary departments where it is taught, students have plenty of course and degree choices.

The "debate" has been ginned up by the right wing propaganda machine. Before CRT, it was trans people and bathrooms. Even your article is complicit. Here's its straw man definition:

Quotecritical race theory (a subset of overarching critical theory) and related belief systems which, in the guise of deconstructing oppressive and hierarchical human relationships instead strip people of individuality and reduce them to representatives of group identities. This intellectual movement rejects rationalism and objectivity, and brands the West, in general, and the United States, in particular, as irredeemably racist

Besides which, the article can't even be bothered to make an argument to the effect that increased school choice is the solution. It asserts it at the end, nothing more. Try again.
I know it's a genus.

dismalist

QuoteThis is bullshit. Critical Race Theory isn't being taught in elementary or secondary schools ... .

Then there's no problem if it's forbidden there. :-)

If in tertiary, choice would solve the problem of people fighting merely about disagreeing.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

mahagonny

Quote from: dismalist on February 21, 2022, 03:13:26 PM
QuoteThis is bullshit. Critical Race Theory isn't being taught in elementary or secondary schools ... .

If in tertiary, choice would solve the problem of people fighting merely about disagreeing.

(bolded) HOF material, but I doubt I will bother.

The situation is actually worse than if CRT itself were being taught in elementary or secondary schools. The kids are being taught every subject by educators who themselves have been apporopriately indoctrinated. So they are being ordered to teach K-12 about matters of 'race' and 'social justice' in ways that comport with CRT and reject such concepts as equality under the law, the Golden Rule, MLK's colorblind society and replace them with the infantile lefty rot.

As Sowell explained in a video that's available on youtube, this is how intellectuals ruin society. They come up with theories that don't match reality and then decree that society must change to fit that reality.

The social justice crowd doesn't want you to be able to choose. That's why they've been hurrying up the stealth takeover of public school curricula.

John McWhorter explains, it's not only a religion; it's a God-awful one.

Parasaurolophus

It's inefficient, which alone should suffice for you to think it's a bad idea.

But it's also clearly a pretext to ban teaching aspects of US history which fragile parents might find distressing. And that kind of state censorship is exactly what free speech heroes are supposed to oppose.
I know it's a genus.

dismalist

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on February 21, 2022, 05:21:20 PM

But it's also clearly a pretext to ban teaching aspects of US history which fragile parents might find distressing. And that kind of state censorship is exactly what free speech heroes are supposed to oppose.

It's  efficient! Look it up. :-)

[I don't wish to ban anything. Clearly, the Texan gummint does. If there's no individual choice, one will get State choice. We merely disagree, after all.]
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

mahagonny

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on February 21, 2022, 05:21:20 PM

There are no heroes on the left today. If they had enough gravitas to ask themselves what a hero should do, they would be disavowing progressivism, because it is misguided. "If white people are getting upset, you must be finally telling them the truth, right?"

In the days before state censorship and CRT, me and my 8th grade classmates were shown a documentary in social studies class, with actual footage of Nazi Germany. Truckoads of dead starved bodies being moved. The teacher Mr. Beekman told us it would be upsetting to watch. It was. I felt sick for the rest of the week.
What he didn't do was point to people in the classroom and say 'you there! Haffenreffer! Stand over here. You are part of the oppressor class. You there, Steiner, stand over here. You are part of the oppressed class.'
Etc.

Poke the hornet's nest and you get stung, liberals.