News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Texas LT. Gov. Calls for End of Tenure due to CLT

Started by Golazo, February 19, 2022, 02:05:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Golazo

Dan Patrick has called for ending tenure for new hires, revoking tenure for professors who teach CLT, and enacting annual review for tenured faculty that can lead to dismissal.

Some "highlights":

"Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick said Friday that he will push to end professor tenure for all new hires at Texas public universities and colleges in an effort to combat faculty members who he says "indoctrinate" students with teachings about critical race theory."

"Patrick, whose position overseeing the Senate allows him to drive the state's legislative agenda, also proposed a change to state law that could make teaching critical race theory grounds for revoking tenure for professors who already have it."
(https://www.texastribune.org/2022/02/18/dan-patrick-texas-tenure-critical-race-theory/)

The legislature can certainly choose to remove tenure for new faculty (with massive damage to the research ecosystem) but the other two are likely violation of the contracts clause.

Wahoo Redux

Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

dismalist

The article cites:

"Go to a private school, let them raise their own funds to teach, but we're not going to fund them," said Patrick, who is running for reelection. "I'm not going to pay for that nonsense."

That's fine. So long as there's competition. Tells one that the best way of funding is to give the cash to the customer, not the supplier. Pity the guy's not that far along in his thinking.

He who pays the piper calls the tune.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Caracal

Quote from: dismalist on February 19, 2022, 07:14:32 PM
The article cites:

"Go to a private school, let them raise their own funds to teach, but we're not going to fund them," said Patrick, who is running for reelection. "I'm not going to pay for that nonsense."

That's fine. So long as there's competition. Tells one that the best way of funding is to give the cash to the customer, not the supplier. Pity the guy's not that far along in his thinking.

Um... It's a massive state educational system. There are 240k students. If students live in the state they can go to Texas schools for dramatically reduced prices. There's no "competition" to that.

downer

I remember Margaret Thatcher saying people should just move somewhere else if they can't find a job in their home town. Well, more precisely it was her minister Norman Tebbit who said
QuoteI grew up in the '30s with an unemployed father. He didn't riot. He got on his bike and looked for work, and he kept looking till he found it.
That's part of the libertarian ethos. Of course, as a general solution it is an absurd fantasy. However, NPR says that conservatives are moving to Texas because they want to be among like minded people.
https://www.npr.org/2022/02/18/1081295373/the-big-sort-americans-move-to-areas-political-alignment
And liberal Texans are moving to Austin, if they can afford it.

I wonder whether there will be significant movement out of Texas once it bans abortion and teaching the history of slavery. It tends the be the poor who are most affected by these decisions. The rich will just send their kids to NYC to get their abortions, and they will send their kids to private schools to get a good education.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

downer

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

mahagonny

Quote from: dismalist on February 19, 2022, 07:14:32 PM
The article cites:

Antiracism is a religion, so it can be taught in the home or by a community group that the family chooses to be part of. There's no suppression by keeping it out of public schools. There's just separation of church and state.
Quote from: Wahoo Redux on February 19, 2022, 06:42:41 PM
When is Republican hate-mongering going to end?

There is hate by now, but the wokeists have done it to themselves. (The left will call it racial hatred because that's the only card in their deck.)
There is hatred for what they are doing. Here's what they don't get: you can't sort children into groups by presumed racial identity (some of the kids don't even know what group they should be in) and have different activities for each and then claim you're just teaching history. This is being rejected but the Thomas Sowells, the Archie Bunkers, the intellectuals and the guy on the corner alike. And they're right. And there's nothing left to work with but the courts and the law. Unless you want riots. Elections by popular vote are a remedy yes, but the left has most of the media, the late night TV, Hollywood actors, pro sports, the unions, and especially higher education so the playing field isn't level.
But you can do that sort of thing in your community group if that's your taste. You can also raise a family full of people who worship the sun.
Using the law to bring society back to what that society wants shows more restraint, is more civilized than what the left has been doing, 'mostly peaceful demonstrations.'
Here's a good resource: https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/critical-theory/

All critical theories are, as I understand, starting out with the assumption that society must be changed.*

* By an elite who understands better than the average citizen what that citizen needs for himself, according to Sowell, who, I must admit, so often has the ring of truth.

marshwiggle

Quote from: downer on February 20, 2022, 05:28:31 AM
I remember Margaret Thatcher saying people should just move somewhere else if they can't find a job in their home town. Well, more precisely it was her minister Norman Tebbit who said
QuoteI grew up in the '30s with an unemployed father. He didn't riot. He got on his bike and looked for work, and he kept looking till he found it.
That's part of the libertarian ethos. Of course, as a general solution it is an absurd fantasy.

"Absurd fantasy?" That depends on a person's skills, abilities, and expectations. While some people may have legitimate handicaps beyond their control, most peoples' situations are at least to some degree a result of the choices they have made and continue to make. (On here, how many instructors would argue that most of their students who struggle do so through no fault of their own?)
It takes so little to be above average.

Parasaurolophus

Business Insider likes to publish absurd fantasies of that sort. Poor people, they claim, should just move somewhere else where there's a shortage of labour.

Such fantasies conveniently ignore the economic costs of moving, which are prohibitive (remember first and last month's rent?), and the social (and indirectly economic) costs of taking yourself out of your support network.

If you're also caring for a child or other family member, doing that is even more difficult.
I know it's a genus.

mahagonny

I wonder whether there will be significant movement out of Texas once it bans abortion and teaching the history of slavery.

I attended public school decades ago before the modern advances in the teaching of history. Pardon me for asking, but what is 'slavery?'

dismalist

Quote from: marshwiggle on February 20, 2022, 10:34:21 AM
That's part of the libertarian ethos. Of course, as a general solution it is an absurd fantasy.

"Absurd fantasy?" That depends on a person's skills, abilities, and expectations. While some people may have legitimate handicaps beyond their control, most peoples' situations are at least to some degree a result of the choices they have made and continue to make. (On here, how many instructors would argue that most of their students who struggle do so through no fault of their own?)

Absolutely! And we have been doing it for millennia. Give me your tired, your poor, anybody remember?

Anyway, apparently people still move today, even within the United States. Amazing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_and_territories_by_net_migration

Look at absolute numbers for once, which are net movements, by the way. Lots of States are positive. Florida and Texas are biggest destinations, of course. The big negatives, absolutely and relative to population, are of course New York and California.

So, people still move and the places they leave and go to are not random. It can't be just the sun.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Wahoo Redux

NPR says that conservatives are moving to Texas because they want to be among like minded people.
https://www.npr.org/2022/02/18/1081295373/the-big-sort-americans-move-to-areas-political-alignment
And liberal Texans are moving to Austin, if they can afford it.

Don't forget the Oregon counties which want to secede and join Idaho.

Republican fanaticism.  We need a good political comedy about it.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

mahagonny

NPR has such a deft way of pushing liberal agenda. Just listen to the vocal intonation when the narrator is talking about the red state or locality fans. They know exactly what they're doing too. Even mediabiasfactcheck calls them left-of-center bias.

Not sure I believe the story about the broken glass in the mailbox. It's a home run for NPR reporting. I'd be absolutely amazed if they did anything to verify such an unusual story.

The 'blue people' miss having their ideas challenged, but they feel safe.

The 'red people' just like being with other MAGA's.

NPR is a a huge  part of what pulls America apart, because people still see it as least-biased.

dismalist

I skimmed the NPR piece.

There's nothing wrong with geographical sorting. It's not a problem; it's a solution. Different groups make their own rules and live peaceably next to each other, or a State away.

What the piece misses is that State politics may have something to do with economic opportunity. I'd a thunk it.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli