Reddit: SUNY Buffalo: "standard of feminine pulchritude" in 1965

Started by Wahoo Redux, February 23, 2022, 04:14:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wahoo Redux

Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

kaysixteen

I get that things were different in 1965, but are you sure that this is authentic?

Katrina Gulliver

The son of the addressee (also a history prof) posted it on Twitter. It's legit.

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: kaysixteen on February 23, 2022, 11:45:53 PM
I get that things were different in 1965, but are you sure that this is authentic?

Good question.  No, I am not sure. 
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

mamselle

Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Ruralguy

I don't think its reliable enough, at least not from where I am sitting to take this seriously.  The letterhead definitely looks doctored, although I suppose there could have been some weird fold in the paper that caused that effect.

I believe people expressed these sorts of views semi-publicly in 1965, but in writing for official correspondence, even in 1965? Unless the person was mentally ill (who wrote it), or it was a joke, I don't see how it could be real even for that time.

hazelshade

If you've spent any amount of time looking at intra-institutional documents from this era (I have), you will know that the language is 100% plausible. I can't comment on whether this particular document is real or doctored, but I've seen similar (or worse?).

smallcleanrat

Quote from: Ruralguy on February 24, 2022, 10:05:56 AM
I don't think its reliable enough, at least not from where I am sitting to take this seriously.  The letterhead definitely looks doctored, although I suppose there could have been some weird fold in the paper that caused that effect.

I believe people expressed these sorts of views semi-publicly in 1965, but in writing for official correspondence, even in 1965? Unless the person was mentally ill (who wrote it), or it was a joke, I don't see how it could be real even for that time.

Yeah, I get the skepticism that someone would devote nearly half of an applicant's job offer letter to expressing how happy they are that the applicant has an attractive wife (and in such terms: "feminine pulchritude" "brethren" etc...).

But even if doing this would have been considered odd even in 1965 (though I'm not sure to what extent that is true), there are people in every era who are oblivious to what would be "going too far."

I rarely feel confident dismissing a story based on the notion that "no one would do something that ridiculous." 

marshwiggle

If it is real, it highlights the way that things like trying to socially connect with others in the workplace is very tied to a specific time and place, and what may be "normal" here and now may be completely unacceptable at another place and/or time.

(The safest course of action is to keep all professional relationships entirely professional. Better to be accused of being distant than of being inappropriate or insensitive.)

It takes so little to be above average.

RatGuy

Dr. Horton received his Masters from Harvard in 1935. Additionally, his obituary (Jan 1991) reads:

QuoteHe was a member of the Grosvenor Society of the Buffalo and Erie County Library, the Buffalo and Erie County Historical Society, the American Historical Association, Scriptores, the Sons of the Revolution in the State of New York and the Gainesville Athenaeum Club. He also was a member of the Episcopal Parish of the Transfiguration. Horton received the Albert J. Beveridge Memorial Prize of the American Historical Association for "James Kent: A Study in Conservatism," and the Owen P. Augspurger Award of the Buffalo and Erie County Historical Society for services to local history, which included the volume "Old Erie: The Growth of an American Community." He was the widower of Evelyn B. Horton.

Sadly, I've get to find any commentary regarding his views on other men's wives.

mamselle

Maybe he's the Elephant who Hatched a Who?

Some of those connections listed--including a couple I'm in--would be highly consistent, in that time, with the comments seen and attributed to him.

One feels sorry for Evelyn.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

apl68

Quote from: smallcleanrat on February 24, 2022, 10:25:31 AM
Quote from: Ruralguy on February 24, 2022, 10:05:56 AM

Yeah, I get the skepticism that someone would devote nearly half of an applicant's job offer letter to expressing how happy they are that the applicant has an attractive wife (and in such terms: "feminine pulchritude" "brethren" etc...).

But even if doing this would have been considered odd even in 1965 (though I'm not sure to what extent that is true), there are people in every era who are oblivious to what would be "going too far."

I rarely feel confident dismissing a story based on the notion that "no one would do something that ridiculous."

Given some of the things we've seen in academia (and elsewhere) along these general lines quite recently, it is indeed hard to dismiss it as too stupid to be true.

For our light affliction, which is only for a moment, works for us a far greater and eternal weight of glory.  We look not at the things we can see, but at those we can't.  For the things we can see are temporary, but those we can't see are eternal.