Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Another professor bites the dust

Started by Langue_doc, February 24, 2022, 09:41:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

apl68

Quote from: marshwiggle on March 02, 2022, 08:03:44 AM
Quote from: apl68 on March 02, 2022, 06:53:24 AM
There is no safe or acceptable way for a man to comment on a woman's appearance in today's culture.  I have been careful to avoid doing so for decades now, even in private.  It's one of several reasons why I have abandoned all efforts at initiating any sort of close personal relationship with a woman.  It's just no longer possible without courting disaster. 

I've heard that many young women in business have lamented that they get less mentoring than their young male colleagues from senior male colleagues. In the MeToo era, many of these men have chosen to avoid virtually all informal interaction with women to avoid any chance of accusations. (And of course mentoring often depends on those sorts of informal interactions.)

Although I would not be surprised if MeToo has scared some senior male colleagues away from mentoring junior female colleagues, I doubt that it's the main reason why women complain of receiving less mentoring.  People instinctively tend to see those who are like themselves as their natural successors and mentees.  If most of the seniors are white guys, then they can very easily find themselves mentoring mostly other white guys.  It doesn't have to be that way, but the senior white guys do need to make an effort to look for a greater range of people to mentor. 

Really, anybody needs to be prepared to extend mentorship--or anything else they have to offer--beyond people just like themselves.  We learn things when we do that, and even in a mentor-protege relationship the learning has lots of potential to go both ways.  I've been mentored by female colleagues--nothing unusual in this business!--and have mentored white and black women and white and black men in turn.  And have learned a good deal from each of them in turn.

I've been very, very careful--as in bending over backward careful--to avoid anything that could be construed as unfair pressure or harassment against female staff and colleagues (See the comment about never speaking about a woman's appearance above).  Yet I have not found that this prevents open and friendly interactions with them.  If guys are indeed being scared away from mentoring by MeToo, they shouldn't worry so much.  Just understand that the flirting and comments on appearance and other stuff like that are well and truly off the table, and you should be okay.
God gave Noah the rainbow sign
No more water, but the fire next time
When this world's all on fire
Hide me over, Rock of Ages, cleft for me

marshwiggle

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on March 02, 2022, 11:39:55 AM
Quote from: apl68 on March 02, 2022, 11:26:33 AM

Romance is, and always has been, mainly about objectification.  It's not for nothing that we speak of "the object of one's desire."

FWIW I recently read a convincing (academic) article on Harlequin romances, and how the conventions of the genre actually preclude the objectification of their heroines. I'd be happy to share the reference, if it's of interest.

Given that the overwhelming majority of their market is women, it stands to reason that the genre has developed according to what women appreciate, so anything they would find offensive would be absent.
It takes so little to be above average.

mahagonny

Quote from: marshwiggle on March 02, 2022, 08:03:44 AM
Quote from: apl68 on March 02, 2022, 06:53:24 AM
There is no safe or acceptable way for a man to comment on a woman's appearance in today's culture.  I have been careful to avoid doing so for decades now, even in private.  It's one of several reasons why I have abandoned all efforts at initiating any sort of close personal relationship with a woman.  It's just no longer possible without courting disaster. 

I've heard that many young women in business have lamented that they get less mentoring than their young male colleagues from senior male colleagues. In the MeToo era, many of these men have chosen to avoid virtually all informal interaction with women to avoid any chance of accusations. (And of course mentoring often depends on those sorts of informal interactions.)

That is a doggone shame. Everyone should get all the mentoring they need. I wonder if there have been any studies done that would show whether persons who previously self identified as men but now self identify as women are less likely to be accused of harassment from women they mentor? Or, related, if women would be more comfortable around a transexual woman than they would be with a cisgender man, for a mentoring setting? Some might be more flexible than was thought.

ETA: (just saw this)
I've been very, very careful--as in bending over backward careful--to avoid anything that could be construed as unfair pressure or harassment against female staff and colleagues (See the comment about never speaking about a woman's appearance above).
At the beginning of the remote teaching odyssey a couple years ago we were shown a video to prepare us. As the female professor was beginning the class, the first student to arrive was also a woman. The professor complimented the student for her 'pretty appearance.' After the video (we were still zooming) we were invited to ask questions. I pointed out that the professor had done something that men are forbidden to do, compliment a woman on her appearance. They were nonplussed.

secundem_artem

Andy Warhol was wrong.  It's not that in the future, everybody will be famous for 15 minutes.  It's that, in the future, everybody will have their turn to be inside the internet rage machine until it can turn its attention to the next poor SOB.

Ain't Twitter fun??!!??
Funeral by funeral, the academy advances

mamselle

Cleveland Amory's work on "Celebrity" vs. 'fame' comes to mind.

See Blackwell and Amory, (1959). "The International Celebrity Register," and a good secondary comment on that and other writers, like Boorstin, in Chapter 1 ("Becoming Visible") of C. Ponce de Leon's (2003) "Self-Exposure: Human-Interest Journalism and the Emergence of Celebrity in America," (UNC Press).*

There's a short squib that summarizes the Amory/Blackwell book in--of all things--one of Amory's books on his cat, Polar Bear, which led me to investigate further, having been led to look up the topic earlier in C. Lindholm's 1990 work on leadership, "Charisma," (B. Blackwell, pub.) and his more recent group study, "The Anthropology of Religious Charism: Ecstasies and Institutions," (2013, Springer/Palgrave), with its more global emphasis and application.**

M. 

*Google Books has it here: https://books.google.com/books?id=parqCQAAQBAJ&dq=cleveland+amory+celebrity+fame&hl=fr&source=gbs_navlinks_s
** G'books here: https://books.google.com/books?id=dDewAgAAQBAJ&dq=lindholm+charismatic+leader&hl=fr&source=gbs_navlinks_s
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Wahoo Redux

For some reason the cancel culture thread is avoided and the conversation is picked up here.

This might be interesting in light of people's thoughts:

CHE: Freedom of Expression on Campus; Key Takeaways
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

dismalist

Quote from: dismalist on March 01, 2022, 02:02:03 PM
Tweet, schmeet. The medium is the message!

It cannot be repeated often enough that free speech is free only in the sense of being free from government. How anyone can say anything intelligent on Twitter is beyond me. Why an academic would wish to make his or her views known on Twitter is completely incomprehensible. STFU.

This is good iff different universities allow different speech. We could have free speech universities and no speech universities and everything in between. As for State run places, there is also no problem because States differ.

Uniformity is the enemy, not speech restrictions.

That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

Wahoo Redux

We can stop saying that "free speech" refers to government censorship.

We know.

dismalist

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on March 03, 2022, 06:41:21 PM

We know.

Then let's not stop saying that variety is the spice of life. There must be places allowing, nay, inviting, disagreement.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

downer

Quote from: dismalist on March 03, 2022, 06:49:14 PM

We know.

Then let's not stop saying that variety is the spice of life. There must be places allowing, nay, inviting, disagreement.

Nope.
"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross."—Sinclair Lewis

dismalist

Quote from: downer on March 03, 2022, 07:46:31 PM

We know.

Nope.

Oh, then go wear a Mao jacket! :-)
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

apl68

Quote from: mamselle on March 02, 2022, 05:11:25 PM
Cleveland Amory's work on "Celebrity" vs. 'fame' comes to mind.

This brings to mind Aesop's fable about a dog who got into so much trouble as he wandered around that his master tied a weight to him that clattered on the ground to warn everybody whenever he was coming.  The dog supposed that he had been given a great distinction and honor by being "awarded" something that nobody else had.

The moral is that we should never confuse notoriety with fame.  A message well worth considering in contemporary society.
God gave Noah the rainbow sign
No more water, but the fire next time
When this world's all on fire
Hide me over, Rock of Ages, cleft for me

Wahoo Redux

We know.

There must be places allowing, nay, inviting, disagreement.

Sacrilege!! 

Hypersensitivity does not allow for such a space. 

Echo-chambers for all!!!!

marshwiggle

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on March 04, 2022, 09:42:20 AM

We know.

Sacrilege!! 

It would be interesting to see how people who favour "safe spaces" would make a clear distinction between a "safe space" and an "echo chamber", that isn't defined by the ideology involved. ( In other words, no saying "WE have safe spaces; THEY have echo chambers.")

It takes so little to be above average.

Wahoo Redux

Quote from: marshwiggle on March 04, 2022, 10:24:22 AM
Quote from: Wahoo Redux on March 04, 2022, 09:42:20 AM

We know.

Sacrilege!! 

It would be interesting to see how people who favour "safe spaces" would make a clear distinction between a "safe space" and an "echo chamber", that isn't defined by the ideology involved. ( In other words, no saying "WE have safe spaces; THEY have echo chambers.")

More sacrilege!!! 

Off to the Gulag with Marshy and dismalist!!!!