News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Establishing a new undergrad and grad programs

Started by Vid, April 09, 2022, 09:03:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

financeguy

You didn't mention if you are at a state school and if so, if it's part of a "system." If so, be aware of anything that is "too close" to your current program already being offered at another institution in the system. I saw a program nearly get the axe and encounter severe delay after the higher ups were required to get input from the other campus and the contact there slammed the program as duplicating what was already offered "within the system" and an unnecessary expense. Someone up the chain may need to justify this if offered by any other state funded institution in the home state even if a different system. (UC vs Cal State, for example.)

Ruralguy

I can see this being an odd reason to oppose a program if the two were both separated in geography *and* demographic base. I can see not wanting, say, two Centers for Climate Change or two Centers for Political Analysis of Elections, but surely there's a lot of room for business and engineering, or heck, even Philosophy grad school in a system as diverse as California's?

Anyway, this might be too big of a derail, especially if the OP isn't in a state system, let alone anything to do with California.

Vid

Thank you, folks. this is a very new program, none in the state or even nearby states. there are some good examples in good schools in Europe.

mamselle: I am a TT, but seems my inputs matter to the college since I have a good record of grants, etc.

mleok; Yes, I get your point. I am not in the front row, I am in the back providing data analysis, etc. My chair is very interested along with 2-3 full professors. 

I appreciate you for providing good strategies/tactics! :)
"I see the world through eyes of love. I see love in every flower, in the sun and the moon, and in every person I meet." Louise L. Hay

mamselle

So, if you're TT but not tenured, yet, I believe the party line is you should be protected from onerous service demands so you have time to be productive in your One True Job--to get tenured--first.

Protect yourself, in such cases, since, as Clean often notes, if you don't,  no-one else will.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Ruralguy

artalot

Check the bureau of labor statistics to see if there is projected growth in the field, average salaries, etc.

I agree with clean that you should discuss how this program will attract new students to the university. Are there high school AP courses, clubs, etc. that might funnel students to the program? Most unis are no longer into the 'build it and they will come' model, but want specifics regarding how you will attract students.

Good luck!

Vid

Cheerful: How could I access enrollments, tuition revenue, and money incoming (Net gain) from other programs in other schools?

Thank you, folks, for sharing your golden thoughts. very very helpful. You guys are THE BEST!
"I see the world through eyes of love. I see love in every flower, in the sun and the moon, and in every person I meet." Louise L. Hay

littleapple

Does your institution partner with any external firms for this?  My university partners with Hanover Research - any new major/program proposed has to have an analysis done by Hanover, which does much of this research (job prospects for students, comparable programs in the region, etc). 

mamselle

Quote from: Vid on April 13, 2022, 07:45:49 AM
Cheerful: How could I access enrollments, tuition revenue, and money incoming (Net gain) from other programs in other schools?

Thank you, folks, for sharing your golden thoughts. very very helpful. You guys are THE BEST!

Nah, we're just the grumpiest. Been there, seen all of that...

;--}

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

no1capybara

This is such a useful discussion.  I'm just at the dreaming stage of creating a new program (I haven't even been offered the job yet!), so I'm going to bookmark this for review if I ever get the opportunity to do so.

mamselle

That really is what the fora, on our best days, should be for, it seems to me.

Glad it's encouraging/helpful.

(Even if we do get grumpy sometimes).

M. 

Vid

littleapple: great point. I donot think we have such a service. but I know that company I think they review proposals as well.

I am grateful for your advice, folks. Have a wonderful (Easter) weekend!

Vid

Folks; my dean said NO to this new program and so did my department chair! This was an Engineering program and my dean believes that all Engineering degrees should be offered by the School of Engineering, anyway we did try!

I learned lots of good lessons and resources here. Thank you, guys.

lightning

I'm so sorry to hear of this news. I know how it feels. The same thing has happened to me.

Vid

Thank you, lightning! yes, it did hurt but hey that's academia (I feel pity on 2 other faculty who did the majority of work!)! It is amazing how department chairs shift their opinion quickly based on the higher hierarchy! The chair did not support faculty in the meeting once he understood the dean disagreed!

STRANGE world, isn't it?!