News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

May Research Thread

Started by Parasaurolophus, May 01, 2022, 08:33:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glowdart

Lo, have I missed y'all and the accountability.

May:

Finish the overdue piece.
Figure out a reasonable summer plan once the grading is done.
Finish spending the grant money.
Meet with collaborator 1

Good luck all.

mamselle

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on May 07, 2022, 06:41:16 PM
Quote from: Parasaurolophus on May 07, 2022, 08:11:47 AM
I'll wade through the guts later today, when time allows.

I think everything is back in its right place. I'll tidy up the mess tomorrow.

Patient all stitched up, and no missing sponges, eh?

Good times.

The book to be reviewed seems reasonable, a pleasant surprise.

I may be doing exploratory surgery on the article-to-be-finished, soon, myself.

Hope I have enough O+ blood available for transfusions if needed...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Parasaurolophus

Well, hopefully no missing sponges!

Today I have to record some welcome videos for my online courses, then I can mop up a bit.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

I start teaching today, so just a little cleaning up during the commuting downtime.
I know it's a genus.

darkstarrynight

Last week, the first revision which was due got submitted a day before the deadline. On Friday my colleagues and I started our data analysis process for the June presentation. My subfield colleague and I are very close to having our revisions done before this weekend's deadline. My conference presentation later this month requires the slides before the end of this week, so I need to do that ASAP. However, I am grading most of the week so wish me luck.

mamselle

I'm not going to put too many expectations on myself since there is a week-long medieval conference (K'zoo) to add to my teaching and other bookings this week.

I consider it research in a larger sense (one may pick up a few collegial advocates along the way, as well....) and refreshment.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on May 09, 2022, 06:33:08 AM
I start teaching today, so just a little cleaning up during the commuting downtime.

Made some last small fixes, but didn't have the energy for the last medium thing. I'll come back to it in a couple of days.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

I'm counting it as research that I updated my Academia site; I'm getting a bunch of hits on it as a result of interactions with people in the K'zoo sections.

I updated and re-uploaded my research CV, and added some recent abstracts I'd been meaning to put in.

I should do the same with my ResearchGate site, but it's somehow more of a pain, I started it later and it never gets much traffic.

Walk, and sessions start at 9 AM.

There is one coming up that is going to be a bear. I already know I disagree with two presenters, and as one friend says, it's important to remember to "play nice in the sandbox."

I will try to be polite and abstain from throwing sand (or pouring water all over others' poorly constructed sand castles...).

I think I know how I can word my one certain objection (the paper title points to the direction they're going to take, which is objectively wrong...I just disproved it in a paper two weeks ago...so frustrating...).

It's all research.

M.

Parasaurolophus

I may not do anything. But if I do, it'll be reading a paper for a referee report or starting my corrections on the accepted chapter contribution.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Wow, the worrisome session wasn't worrisome.

And I'm very glad I did all the uploads, I've had 15 readers added today alone.

More to do..

M.

Wahoo Redux

Enough is enough.

Time to finish the book.  All the chapters have very inchoate drafts.  All the research is on the bookshelf behind me and saved on the hard drive.

Will go chapter by chapter, working primarily on a chapter at a time until burnout, at which point I will edit the draft of another chapter and call it a night.

Will finally kill that revise and resubmit, ignoring all but the most pertinent critiques of the grossly overly enthusiastic reviewer.

Book of poems has been submitted---get working on the next one; novella will be submitted this week; will write a minimum of two short stories for pulp magazines.

Will write the puff pieces for the local downtown magazine this week and finish that magazine article on Sir Gawain. 

Will walk the dog and practice the musical instrument to blow off steam.  Will watch Better Call Saul with wife in the evening and be her sous chef.  And will exercise every day.

Gonna be a good summer.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on May 10, 2022, 08:20:14 AM
I may not do anything. But if I do, it'll be reading a paper for a referee report or starting my corrections on the accepted chapter contribution.

I read the paper. It sucks. Unfortunately, it will require some work to justify the rejection I'll recommend, because it's all over the place and cites almost nothing.

Happily, I scooped it by several years. (With a better paper, obvs.)

Quote from: mamselle on May 10, 2022, 11:05:57 AM
Wow, the worrisome session wasn't worrisome.

Yay!
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

I suppose I need to fix the conclusion to the R&R paper, and tidy up whatever little bits and pieces remain.
I know it's a genus.

darkstarrynight

Revision #2 is almost done (and due Saturday) so I am waiting on my coauthor to check it. I have to make my conference presentation slides tomorrow morning since they are due. I am taking a quick break from grading to eat lunch but I need to get back to that, so I keep putting off the presentation.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on May 11, 2022, 06:40:13 AM
I suppose I need to fix the conclusion to the R&R paper, and tidy up whatever little bits and pieces remain.

Managed some of that. More today; I'd like to finish.
I know it's a genus.