Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

May Research Thread

Started by Parasaurolophus, May 01, 2022, 08:33:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on May 17, 2022, 07:36:57 AM
Need to attempt some big fixes today.

Made acceptably medium progress on one big-ticket item and a few small ones. My energy is low today.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Pledge to self:

I will a) Open the files of the two articles that are still hanging fire and walk into those writing caves after last week's hiatus.
        b) Keep going on reading the book for the book review and consider getting it done early.

Since, in other, semi-related news, I have just heard that two private students have gotten (cool, test-in) internships in astronomy and math that will take them away for the summer, I also need to consider getting some editing work or a few more students to replace that income.

So, I may need to get those writing tasks done early in order to make added work possible, sooner rather than later.

Still more projects to do after that, but they can be kept low-level/back-burner for a bit, while still making progress; these three have time-delimited deadlines, so they need to get done.

OK, find the balance beams and start swinging...

M. 
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Parasaurolophus

More work on the big fixes today.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Opened one file, got some work done on it.
Opened the second file, read instructions to myself.

Book is ready to be read after teaching, student in 5 min.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on May 18, 2022, 10:14:44 AM
More work on the big fixes today.

Well. I made progress, anyway.
I know it's a genus.

Sun_Worshiper

May goals (in order of importance):

• Finish revising paper #1 with colleague and submit to journal
  • Finish and submit NSF grant proposal
  • Get paper #2 off the ground
  • Spend some time sifting through data collected over the last year and figure out what to do with it. Use to polish paper #3 and/or to start working on a book proposal. If the former, then resubmit paper#3
  • Chat with respective colleagues about if/how to move paper #s 4 and 5 forward
  • Quickly revise and submit rejected manuscript
  • Make updates to book chapter following minor comments from editor

Stretch goals:

• IRB for new project (if funding request is approved sooner than later, then this moves up the priority list)
  • Deal with any rejections or R&Rs that come my way (if rejections/R&Rs do come, then this moves up the priority list)

Parasaurolophus

Family visiting, not expecting much progress over the next few days.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Four hours before I need to prep for my PM student.

Three things to do.

Go!

M.

mamselle

Quote from: mamselle on May 19, 2022, 10:42:22 AM
Four hours before I need to prep for my PM student.

Three things to do.

Go!

M.

Did 'em.

Student prep next.

M.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on May 19, 2022, 09:02:23 AM
Family visiting, not expecting much progress over the next few days.

Did some minor editing, a spot of reading, and a smaller spot of reading for another project.
I know it's a genus.

Sun_Worshiper

May goals (in order of importance):

• Finish revising paper #1 with colleague and submit to journal
  • Finish and submit NSF grant proposal
  • Get paper #2 off the ground
  • Spend some time sifting through data collected over the last year and figure out what to do with it. Use to polish paper #3 and/or to start working on a book proposal. If the former, then resubmit paper#3
  • Chat with respective colleagues about if/how to move paper #s 4 and 5 forward
  • Quickly revise and submit rejected manuscript
  • Make updates to book chapter following minor comments from editor

Stretch goals:

• IRB for new project (if funding request is approved sooner than later, then this moves up the priority list)
  • Deal with any rejections or R&Rs that come my way (if rejections/R&Rs do come, then this moves up the priority list)

darkstarrynight

Yesterday I worked on data analysis for my conference presentation (slides due in early June for late June presentation).

Today, after driving all day across multiple states, I suddenly found myself ready to finalize this rejected manuscript and finished our last remaining section requiring edits. My colleague promised to review it tomorrow, so hopefully we can submit it before the weekend to the new target journal!

mamselle

A. Do further digging for Aug 1 article, try again for missing background info to fill in a couple holes. If not found, they can be accommodated, but it would be nice to backfill them.

B. Plan student work for theory class at 4.30.

C. Keep fact-checking last details of medieval article.

D. Book rvw: read .ore, make more notes

M.

Parasaurolophus

I vomited up 300 words for a big fix in the contributed chapter. I'll call that a day and read for the next book project.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Quote from: mamselle on May 20, 2022, 02:44:29 AM
A. Do further digging for Aug 1 article, try again for missing background info to fill in a couple holes. If not found, they can be accommodated, but it would be nice to backfill them.

B. Plan student work for theory class at 4.30.

C. Keep fact-checking last details of medieval article.

D. Book rvw: read .ore, make more notes

M.

Did some good work on A., reasonable prep on B.

C., D., and more on A., tomorrow after a walk and quick errands...verrry early, before the heat attacks...

M.