News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

May Research Thread

Started by Parasaurolophus, May 01, 2022, 08:33:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

The April Research Thread is dead. Long live the May Research Thread!

For the month:

• Finish referee report.
  • Write a very short abstract for New Chapter Contribution
  • Fix up Co-Authored Paper 1 for R&R
  • Fix up chapter contribution from last August.
  • Start (and maybe finish) reading for Book Review

Today, I'll use whatever time I have for the referee report and to make a start on the revisions for Co-Authored Paper 1.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Tra-la, it's May!

I'll do a more detailed plan, but for now, it's back to the article-that-needs-to-be-finished, and starting on the article-that's-due-Aug-1, as well as the book-review-that's-due-July-1.

And whatever else comes up.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Sun_Worshiper

It has been hard to do any research in April, due to excessive teaching, but I have high hopes for May.

May goals (in order of importance):

• Finish revising paper #1 with colleague and submit to journal
  • Finish and submit NSF grant proposal
  • Get paper #2 off the ground
  • Spend some time sifting through data collected over the last year and figure out what to do with it. Use to polish paper #3 and/or to start working on a book proposal. If the former, then resubmit paper#3
  • Chat with respective colleagues about if/how to move paper #s 4 and 5 forward

Stretch goals:

• IRB for new project (if funding request is approved sooner than later, then this moves up the priority list)
  • Deal with any rejections or R&Rs that come my way (if rejections/R&Rs do come, then this moves up the priority list)

Parasaurolophus

Good luck, friends!

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on May 01, 2022, 08:33:07 AM

Today, I'll use whatever time I have for the referee report and to make a start on the revisions for Co-Authored Paper 1.

Finished reading for the report and wrote half of it. Also re-read my paper and the R&R comments, made a few small changes, and figured out what needs doing.
I know it's a genus.

onehappyunicorn

I have six pieces of art due for drop off for a show on May 20th.
Three are completely done, one is about 80 percent there, and two have a lot of work left to do on them.
On one hand it's great that I am showing work again, on the other my weekends are shot and I expect I will have a couple of mostly sleepless nights right at the end.
I wish I could show my work here but that would kill any anonymity (if anyone cared to figure it out) I would like to keep.

Parasaurolophus

Today, I'll finish the referee report, write the abstract, and work on revisions.
I know it's a genus.

filologos

Shortly after my last post a few weeks ago, I experienced the devastating loss of a close family member. After some time off, I was able to continue working and managed to accomplish some of my April goals (such as finally sending off the prospectus). This month will be filled with grading, but at the least I should be able to continue reading primary sources and editing Chapter 2.

• Address advisor's comments on Chapter 2
  • Read primary sources by author P for Chapter 3 (~200 pages left in most important source)
  • Read secondary literature on author P
  • Catch up on Zoom with colleague

mamselle

Very, very sorry for your loss, filologos.

Good that you can manage to pick some things up and keep working at them with all that going on.

Be kind to yourself, and take good care of yourself, while doing whatever seems like the priority work of the moment.

Grieving takes a long time, don't rush yourself.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

filologos

Thanks, Mamselle. To the extent that research is helpful, I'm researching, but I have no hard deadlines for anything right now, either external or self-imposed.

mamselle

You're welcome. We're here as a resource if that's useful.

I just 'graded' Saturday's presentation. I passed, but it could have been better. I'll need to do more on it if it ever goes for publication.

Starting now to pick up the items set aside to be able to finish it.

Student at 5 PM.

M.

darkstarrynight

Argh I feel so behind

May Goals (besides maintaining warm weather please)

• Finalize rejected manuscript with student and colleague and submit to different outlet
  • Analyze data from new study and work on presentation for June conference
  • Create presentation for May conference
  • Continue working on long-term project in preparation for my sabbatical focused on it this Fall
  • Finalize revision due this week
  • Finalize revision due next week
  • Finalize revision due in three weeks

I am plowing through my three manuscript revisions that are due, which is exciting but busy. I also am struggling to motivate my student and colleague on our paper which is very close to done. The student got accepted into a doctoral program and is focused on that transition (and graduation next week) so while hu wanted us to finish everything by the end of April, hu did not do much. My colleague is first author and hu is not leading us so it continues to stall.

mamselle

Sounds like you need Ginger Rogers, to lead backwards and in heels....

M.

Parasaurolophus

I'm so sorry, filologos.

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on May 02, 2022, 08:13:24 AM
Today, I'll finish the referee report, write the abstract, and work on revisions.

I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Quote from: onehappyunicorn on May 02, 2022, 08:13:20 AM
I have six pieces of art due for drop off for a show on May 20th.
Three are completely done, one is about 80 percent there, and two have a lot of work left to do on them.
On one hand it's great that I am showing work again, on the other my weekends are shot and I expect I will have a couple of mostly sleepless nights right at the end.
I wish I could show my work here but that would kill any anonymity (if anyone cared to figure it out) I would like to keep.

Cool to hear about your work, seen or unseen.

Go to it!

M.

Parasaurolophus

I forgot that teaching summer classes means I have to set up the LMS. Sigh. So I'll do a lot of that today, and send my abstract, and tinker with the R&R.
I know it's a genus.