Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Non-tech "hard skills" that are easy to evaluate

Started by marshwiggle, May 26, 2022, 07:40:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marshwiggle

Quote from: apl68 on June 02, 2022, 08:49:27 AM
Quote from: ergative on May 31, 2022, 02:13:04 AM
Whenever a colleague sends me a well-formatted email, or responds to my emails with in-line/matching bulleted lists, I'm so happy to know we're on the same page about communication. When colleagues send four-paragraph missives that convey effectively the same information, but elegantly woven into a composition with introductions, transitions, and elegant prose, I groan and have to fetch my sieve to sift out the elegant cruft and determine what, exactly, I need to respond to or whether they actually did respond to all my question.

Although I'd like to think that I'm not too bad about this, I suspect you might not like receiving e-mails from me.

This illustrates that there's not an unambiguous definition of what constitutes a "good" email, since that will depend on who is evaluating it. So my original idea of "hard" skills, would include the idea of pretty universal agreement on how to evaluate it.
(Again, for a person going to a job interview, they wouldn't need to know who was going to interview them to know how to display the skill.)

It takes so little to be above average.

mamselle

Maybe the deeper skill involved is assessing your audience, and writing to their ear.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Anselm

There is the ability to quickly look up accurate information online and also in a library.
I am Dr. Thunderdome and I run Bartertown.

dismalist

Some of the ideas on this thread look promising, but they would all be illegal if they had disparate impact. :-(
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli