News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

June Research Thread

Started by mamselle, June 01, 2022, 06:24:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

Yea!

I had an online meeting so am just now getting lunch, and then....

Finish A, more on the book review.

I've kept up doing research on B, but will need to start to put that material into the article at some point, too.

Student at 5 PM.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

darkstarrynight

I just drafted my op-ed piece for a public venue. I was putting it off and then the words just flowed, so that was unexpected.

dinomom

Away last week at a seminar but back at it.
Sent Article A back to copyeditor, worked on Article B for an hour, worked on co-edited volume for an hour.

Harlow2

Article rejected outright. Some useful criticisms, one central, that will require some thinking. I was careful to use other very recent articles as models and to follow the prescribed structure so was surprised to see comments indicating that I should have done things in another way. This is the third outright rejection in my career, and it stings, partly because I thought the article was such a good fit. Also need it published to prove research productivity.  Oh well, back at it tomorrow.

mamselle

I had that happen once, where the instructions said "...use APA citation format," so I did.

I thought it was a bit odd, since MLA was usually favored, but it was an unfamiliar journal and I figured maybe they got a lot of crossover pieces and just decided to come down on the side of APA to make the sociologists happy.

Finished it, turned it in.

One of the critiques was that the citations were formatted incorrectly.

I wondered if the reader were either from a different discipline, or just hadn't bothered to check the specs.

Weird.

I hope yours finds a home somewhere....orphan articles are so sad...

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ergative

Quote from: Harlow2 on June 20, 2022, 02:22:48 PM
Article rejected outright. Some useful criticisms, one central, that will require some thinking. I was careful to use other very recent articles as models and to follow the prescribed structure so was surprised to see comments indicating that I should have done things in another way. This is the third outright rejection in my career, and it stings, partly because I thought the article was such a good fit. Also need it published to prove research productivity.  Oh well, back at it tomorrow.

Oh, ouch. I'm sorry about that.

I've also had three career rejections, and my publication list is--ahem--not terribly long. Not a great ratio. My first rejection came after a round of R&R, which annoyed me, and two others were on the same paper at two different journals. The first one was warranted, but the second was entirely unfair, I thought. My current research is a replication/refinement of the same project, in an attempt to forestall a third rejection on that work alone.

What bugs me the most is that I think this seemingly unpublishable research is actually the best, most interesting work I've done. But, as you say, back at it tomorrow.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on June 20, 2022, 06:25:40 AM
Mostly marking today, but I'll put a tiny bit of work into writing that book review.

Wrote 400 not-great words.

Quote from: Harlow2 on June 20, 2022, 02:22:48 PM

Gah, I'm sorry.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Just a tiny bit of book reviewing today, since most of my time has to go to marking stuff.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

I think I've unscrambled and re-scrambled the eggs.

I think it works.

Now I just need to edit/boil down about 20 lines out of the thing and the pictures will land in the right places and I can call it done (for the second time) and send it around to my friends-with-eyes-like-combs.

Student in 10 min.

Whew!

M.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on June 21, 2022, 08:33:14 AM
Just a tiny bit of book reviewing today, since most of my time has to go to marking stuff.

Just a tiny bit.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Another teeny tiny bit on my commute, then marking in all spare moments.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Making progress, and this afternoon's student just postponed until tomorrow.

I really might get this done today.

Book review tomorrow, in any case.

Lunch shortly, then back to work.

M.

darkstarrynight

I received a rejection for a conference proposal submission today. My coauthor and I decided to make some edits and submit it as a scholarly essay in a relevant journal, so that was our positive turnaround today. Also, an article we (same colleague) published last year led to our being invited to present this Fall at a conference for the organization that hosts the journal. That was unexpected!

mamselle

Yahoo-ey!

I'm working backwards through the last pass on the middle 8 pages (now 6 pages) checking for duplicates.

Whew. Almost really done (I know, I keep saying that, but this time it is).

M.

Parasaurolophus

I think I need to devote today exclusively to marking. Yuck.
I know it's a genus.