News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

June Research Thread

Started by mamselle, June 01, 2022, 06:24:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dinomom

slow going this week with errands and family commitments.
nothing yet but hoping I can carve out 30 min - 1 hour to do a little on article B.
Article A has been approved by copy editor as of yesterday evening so that's off my plate until proofs.

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Only marking today, too. Exam period ends Sunday, marks are all due Tuesday. Sigh.

I did do a little fun research reading yesterday once I hit my quota, however.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

L'article, c'est fini.

At least until my friend-reader comes back with all the stuff I need to fix.

That is all.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Parasaurolophus

One last big grading push today. I don't expect to have much other time, but if I do, it'd be good to get a little more prep work done on the review, so that I can write it up properly when I'm on "holiday" next week (and not bring the book along).
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Marking done, gonna try to cram all my notes into a document.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Rested yesterday, and sent the doc to my "eyes-in-the-sky" reader who will send it back at the end of the week.

Starting 4 mini-outlines for stuff to be done later in the year, while I'm not focused on anything else for the moment.

Then on to the book review and article that are next up, either this afternoon, before my 5 PM student, or tomorrow AM.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ergative

Bit the bullet and got a bunch of admin/teaching stuff done this weekend. My reward: an unbroken chunk of the afternoon sitting in my lab learning to use my software better. I'm actually doing a task for a student, which is not, strictly speaking, my responsibility, and I shouldn't be doing it for her. But it's a clever project that requires the software to do a thing I don't know how to make it do, and I wanted to learn how to make it do it, so why not help the student out while I do? She's super bright and has done tons of work on the other bits of the project, and it would be a real to tell her she can't complete the thesis project she wants to complete just because the software is such a pain to use.

I didn't finish the task, but I made substantial, measurable progress, and I have all of tomorrow blocked off to continue working on it.

mamselle

Boy, were I your student, that would have earned a box of six nice macaroons...

;--}

My update: two more of the mini-things done, I'm going to finish the last before my student, then the bigger things can be for tomorrow.

M.

ergative

Quote from: mamselle on June 27, 2022, 12:59:16 PM
Boy, were I your student, that would have earned a box of six nice macaroons...

;--}

My update: two more of the mini-things done, I'm going to finish the last before my student, then the bigger things can be for tomorrow.

M.

In fact, when she returned from a visit home, she brought me a box of pistachio brittle and two boxes of cardamom cookies. I'm very fond of her.

mamselle

Cool beans! (or pistachios...)

Glad to hear it.

I might be done for the day, or I might have one more mini-task in me.

Dinner shortly in any case.

M.

Sun_Worshiper

Goals that I hope to make progress on:

• Submit paper #1, which is complete and just requires a thorough proofread
  • Make some progress on getting paper #2 off the ground
  • Continue making progress on paper #3 with colleagues - this is a short and not methodologically intensive paper, so I can work on it at the margins
  • Make progress on paper #4 with colleague
  • IRB for a short bit of fieldwork I'm hoping to do in August
  • IRB for different project in which my collaborator is doing the work with human subjects

Adding new things and crossing out a few that I'm satisfied with progress on.

darkstarrynight

Quote from: darkstarrynight on June 22, 2022, 02:31:44 PM
I received a rejection for a conference proposal submission today. My coauthor and I decided to make some edits and submit it as a scholarly essay in a relevant journal, so that was our positive turnaround today. Also, an article we (same colleague) published last year led to our being invited to present this Fall at a conference for the organization that hosts the journal. That was unexpected!

Scholarly essay was desk rejected this morning, ouch. My presentation today with my colleague and former student went SO WELL!

mamselle

Yea....ouch!

Does one re-submit an essay in your field, or was that a one-time thing?

M.

newprof

Submitting an article later this week. Just back from a holiday away. Fell sick at the end of the holiday so staying home today to focus on the necessary final edits. Email inbox remaining closed for the time being. Feels fantastic to give my attention to just one thing. Reminding me of the (much) earlier days when I was writing up my thesis. Dotting the i's and crossing the t's...