News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

June Research Thread

Started by mamselle, June 01, 2022, 06:24:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

Not sure what I'll do today. Either read for the next referee report, or tinker with my article.
I know it's a genus.

sinenomine

Goals for June:
1. Revise one article
2. Continue writing another articke that's due late summer
3. If it comes in from the journal, proofread a third article
"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive continuity of ducks...."

mamselle

Just finished 10 AM student and follow-up.

Do as much on A's notes as possible in the next hour.

Lunch

Work on B to integrate short/long versions and notes.

Prep theory class.

4:30 class, 6 PM student.

New Yorker crossword to wind down.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on June 01, 2022, 08:28:10 AM
I'm taking a big trip mid-month that requires some prep and also have a workshop next week that will eat up several days, so this stands to be a relatively unproductive June. However, I have a few goals that I hope to make progress on:

• Submit paper #1, which is complete and just requires a thorough proofread
  • Make some progress on getting paper #2 off the ground
  • Continue making progress on paper #3 with colleagues - this is a short and not methodologically intensive paper, so I can work on it at the margins
  • IRB for a short bit of fieldwork I'm hoping to do in August

And if any rejections or R&Rs come my way then those will move to the top of the priority list.

mamselle

No A or B work got done because a cool gravestone question arose, and then student/class prep took over.

Last student now, and tomorrow may have to be given over to reviewing K'zoo conference videos before they're turned off, there were several I need to check my notes on.

M.   

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on June 03, 2022, 07:15:04 AM
Not sure what I'll do today. Either read for the next referee report, or tinker with my article.

Read the article, wrote the report, submitted it (accept: it was solid).

I also read half of an article for another new project I might start soonish, just to get the lay of the land.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

When time allows, I'll finish the other half of that article and either revise a bit, or start reading for the third referee report.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Well, I'm reviewing K'zoo conference videos before they're turned off, and there were indeed several I need to check my notes on.

A couple are pleasant reminders of papers I really enjoyed.

One is a bear--it's reminding me that getting my correctives published would be nice, since then I wouldn't have to deal with these seriously WRONG papers all the time!!!

Like I said, that's one of the other things I fix....or try to....(interthreadual ref.)

M.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on June 04, 2022, 07:39:54 AM
When time allows, I'll finish the other half of that article and either revise a bit, or start reading for the third referee report.

Finished the article.

I also read for my report, and wrote and submitted the report. It's a great paper. It does, however, somewhat scoop a paper I've been sitting on for eight years. I revisited it after, and it's really not bad. I'll touch it up lightly over the next few days and send it out, so that it can complement this one.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Quote from: mamselle on June 04, 2022, 12:19:35 PM
Well, I'm reviewing K'zoo conference videos before they're turned off, and there were indeed several I need to check my notes on.

A couple are pleasant reminders of papers I really enjoyed.

One is a bear--it's reminding me that getting my correctives published would be nice, since then I wouldn't have to deal with these seriously WRONG papers all the time!!!

Like I said, that's one of the other things I fix....or try to....(interthreadual ref.)

M.

Got through all the notes and things I needed to double-check or listen to briefly.

If the video files are going to stay up through MN, I can now (after a quick dinner) tie myself down to listen to the one really bad paper that I'm probably going to have to include in an upcoming article at some point...and maybe a couple of others that were just complex enough to deserve a second listen, but weren't BAD like that one.

In other news, I just found out (because Academia asked me to confirm it's me) that someone just cited a series of e-conversations we had in her dissertation and I never knew it.

It might have been fine if she'd understood what I'd said, or given me a chance to clarify my comments, so I could see how she'd gotten them backwards, but they've been riding around there for who-knows-how-long, and only just now surfaced because she's uploaded part of her diss to her Academia page.

Since I know her original advisor, I'm thinking of just sending a quick email to ask what happened. SHE should have figured out I wouldn't have said the things I'm said to have said....it's very weird...

Sic transit claritas...

M.   

mamselle

And then something nice happened; I referred the interesting colonial thing that turned up to someone and they're very interested and are encouraging the newbie who figured it out to do more.

Win-win-win!!!

M.

ETA: OK, back to work on that one paper...elation may help.

Wahoo Redux

Short story came out last month.
Research article (not very good) will be coming out next month.

So things are going well, relatively speaking.

But the big project is going so slowly in fits and starts and with a great deal of bumbling.  Sometimes I feel so inadequate, and every diversion, from walking to dog to practicing music to going to a friend's house for dinner, seems like wasted time.

I'm working every day and starting to rewrite an old rejection.  It just never seems to go fast enough.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

mamselle

I finished checking all my K'zoo notes, and tried again to connect with the person whose problematic paper is probably going to necessitate a response in print if they don't take in the facts presented them that really do disprove what they're trying to claim.

A, B, and all the other good little projects will have to wait until tomorrow...

But re-visiting the many good papers was in itself a good way of supplying context for the writing.

Wahoo, agreed--I've got one (or more) of those--it does take forever.

Until it's finished.

And then it doesn't anymore.

Hope you reach the "doesn't, anymore" stage soon.

M.

Parasaurolophus

When time allows, I'll see what I can do about Scooped Paper.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Nothing today on writing, much cleaning, though...

And since the videos stayed up 'til the wee hours, I did finish all the notes, so I'm letting that count for today.

M.