Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

June Research Thread

Started by mamselle, June 01, 2022, 06:24:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

darkstarrynight

Quote from: darkstarrynight on June 01, 2022, 10:09:11 AM
June Goals

• Submit presentation slides for June conference presentation this week!
  • Work on sabbatical project (ongoing prep work for Fall)
  • Finalize proof edits on book chapter due out this Fall

I got the 24 hour turnaround on the book chapter edits on Saturday and had to submit them Sunday. A major news outlet cited a study of mine in an article a few days ago! Usually my research does not get broad reach, so I told me coauthor we were "before our time" with our topic since our work continues to be relevant. In fact, the slides I submitted last week for our forthcoming presentation are for the follow-up study on this very topic! Meanwhile, I am pretending to be on vacation out of the country while my summer class has begun online and I am attending a virtual conference. Not much research activity will get done this week, though I just agreed to write an op-ed for a public news outlet before the end of the month based on recent research.

mamselle

Whoo-hoo!

Visibility and completed work to go on further--that's a three-fer, seems to me
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ergative

Well, I finished a draft of the spreadsheet. I'll need to vastly expand it tomorrow, but it's set up now the way I want, so things should go more quickly tomorrow. Overall I'm reasonably proud of my progress. This is work I should have started doing back in March, but oh well.

mamselle

Had errands this AM, now starting the last pass on the notes (ck citations, find publishers, that kind of stuff) on A.

Challenge--there are 6 pages, can I get at least three of them done before it's time to teach at 4:30?

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ergative

Quote from: mamselle on June 08, 2022, 10:31:34 AM
Challenge--there are 6 pages, can I get at least three of them done before it's time to teach at 4:30?

I believe in you!

dinomom

you can do it, mamselle!

today for me: 2 hours on mostly Article A, a little bit on job docs.
goal for tomorrow: finish Article A. can it be done? we'll see...

mamselle

Thank you!

I got two of the three finished and started one more. And I'm still within the page-count I'm trying to observe.

So, not too bad.

Students soon--need to do lunch, first...!

M.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on June 08, 2022, 06:31:57 AM
This morning, I'm reading for my review. This afternoon, tinkering with Neglected Paper.

Read two chapters, fixed a bunch. I'm nearly ready to send Neglected out.
I know it's a genus.

ergative

Chugging my way through spreadsheet 2. Had a bad moment when my pivot table indicated an unbalanced design, when I knew darn well I'd balanced it perfectly. Turns out that even though I'd put in the key values for the pivot tables, it wouldn't count them unless I filled in all the other values that I'd left temporarily blank. My pivot table will not confirm balance until I finish filling out all the fields. Which is fine, I guess.

I'm going to record the stimuli next week, and I have a project meeting tomorrow with my collaborator, so that's a really good incentive to get this done today! The end is in sight! I can do it!

Parasaurolophus

Reading in the morning, fixing Neglected in the afternoon.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

QuoteChugging my way through spreadsheet 2. Had a bad moment when my pivot table indicated an unbalanced design, when I knew darn well I'd balanced it perfectly. Turns out that even though I'd put in the key values for the pivot tables, it wouldn't count them unless I filled in all the other values that I'd left temporarily blank. My pivot table will not confirm balance until I finish filling out all the fields. Which is fine, I guess.

"Pivt Tbls" is two four-letter words in my book, having wrestled many a one to the ground when doing budgeting Ops management files long ago...glad you figured out what yours were trying to tell you...

In other news: Starting the next (maybe the last?) run through the rest of the notes on A.

No student until 6.30

Maybe...finish?

M.

ergative

Finished up most of spreadsheet 2--just a few blanks to fill in--and my RA checked in with me on her progress on a task I assigned her, and she's doing it perfectly. It's always nice when your RA turns out to be a good one! I have severe doubts about the other one--super bright, but in class he was always super flakey. We'll see...

mamselle

Not going as fast as I'd like, but more is definitely getting done and some of the extra marble is being chipped away as its extraneity becomes apparent.

Student prep now.

Pas a pas...

M. 

dinomom

Article A done except one footnote (digital library I use was very slow loading today so it had to wait, but fingers crossed it will be functional tomorrow)!

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on June 09, 2022, 07:19:12 AM
Reading in the morning, fixing Neglected in the afternoon.

Read a chapter, finished fixing the paper save for some bibliography weirdness.
I know it's a genus.