News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

June Research Thread

Started by mamselle, June 01, 2022, 06:24:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

Once I've taken care of today's allotment of marking, I'll hammer away at the reply.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

AM student done, lunch and then more secondary weeding.

Student at 6:30, so there's a time frame to attend to.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

mamselle

More weeding done, two paragraphs in even better shape than they were (and shorter).

Still a chunk to go but the way out of those weeds just presented it self to my addled brain during lunch.

Setting up teaching now, tomorrow's all about the teaching, so the good idea will have to gestate until Saturday.

But then....just wait...

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ergative

Argh. The colleague who recorded the stimuuli for me did a wonderful job, but the microphone settings were not right, so the audio quality is lousy. Fortunately, he very obligingly agreed to come in and record again on Monday--which is very good of him--but I really need to figure out how to make the microphone better.

mamselle

Could be placement or the speaker's need to enunciate better.

Also, experiment with the settings. Some mics, it works better to record on a lower setting, to screen out background noise, and then play back at a higher setting.

Others are the opposite...you have to try it out and listen to it to know.

M.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on June 16, 2022, 08:00:15 AM
Once I've taken care of today's allotment of marking, I'll hammer away at the reply.

Didn't grade, but did write 400 words and do some fixing. Shrug.
I know it's a genus.

ergative

Quote from: mamselle on June 16, 2022, 04:53:20 PM
Could be placement or the speaker's need to enunciate better.

Also, experiment with the settings. Some mics, it works better to record on a lower setting, to screen out background noise, and then play back at a higher setting.

Others are the opposite...you have to try it out and listen to it to know.

M.

Oh, yes, yes, this is my area. The speaker enunciates beautifully; I just didn't do my job right on the day. Skimped on the set-up and then plowed ahead in the moment rather than fixing it; my own damn fault. I'll do the set-up properly on Monday.

I'm a little concerned about the undergrad who's going to be processing the recordings for me. He's been super bright in my classes, and my colleagues say the same about his performance in their classes. He has all the necessary training (although a bit flakey on attendance). But it's different doing the work for a class assignment compared to actually making the decisions that are going to be the basis for data collection. I've assigned him some practice annotations on the first batch of recordings to complete over the weekend, so we'll see how he does with those. I'm hopeful it will work out. I do not want to have to annotate all 500+ sentences myself! (Although the speaker has quite a nice voice, so it will be a pleasant change from annotating 500+ sentences of my own voice, which is what I did when I was a post-doc and did recordings myself!)

I rather envy Parasaurolophus, who's in the write-up stage! Except back when I was writing up my last paper I was envying people in the design and data-collection stage. Why is it that the stage you're not doing is always the one you want to be doing?

Parasaurolophus

Now that I'm up, gonna do a tiny little bit of work on the reply and then take the day off.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Late start, have one errand that has to be done, then writing all day after that.

Just proposed a mini-blog post on a topic of mutual interest to a friend, but it won't be until September, after all current projects are done.

M.

Parasaurolophus

Had some moments today, and hammered out 500 words. I'm slowly putting the reply together.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

One paragraph to go.

Too tired to finish now; 《 a demain 》....

M.

Parasaurolophus

I'll plug away at the reply today. I'm aiming to finish and submit by the end of the week.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on June 19, 2022, 06:38:02 AM
I'll plug away at the reply today. I'm aiming to finish and submit by the end of the week.

Whelp, I finished and submitted it today.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Mostly marking today, but I'll put a tiny bit of work into writing that book review.
I know it's a genus.

ergative

My saint of a speaker is rerecording and I'm checking EVERYTHING at every stage. Looking good!