News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Ghost Students

Started by evil_physics_witchcraft, June 10, 2022, 03:21:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FishProf

Well, I am 5000 miles away from my office right now, so a f2f isn't happening.

I informed him that he still has 3 weeks left in the class.   If he'd like to challenge his grade, he can do that after the course is completed.

Doing some work in the course would simultaneously strengthen and weaken his case.
I'd rather have questions I can't answer, than answers I can't question.

evil_physics_witchcraft

I'd like to know how he thinks he's being treated unfairly. Did he give you a list?

clean

can you zoom or webex with him?

(we recently changed from webex to zoom, so Im not up on all of the capabilities.  Webex would allow you to record the meeting, which I would do!)
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Langue_doc

FishProf is probably just venting here.

FishProf

Yeah, Just venting.

The complaint, without merit, is that I haven't been telling him what is due and when.

(Hint:  ALL is due on the last day of the semester, but I posted a suggested schedule on day 1).

I replied with, "You can see the suggested schedule [here].  You have 3 weeks remaining in the course to complete the remaining work.  Good luck and good learning".

And BCCd the Chair and the Continuing Ed Dean.

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: FishProf on June 14, 2022, 09:10:49 AM
Yeah, Just venting.

The complaint, without merit, is that I haven't been telling him what is due and when.

(Hint:  ALL is due on the last day of the semester, but I posted a suggested schedule on day 1).

I replied with, "You can see the suggested schedule [here].  You have 3 weeks remaining in the course to complete the remaining work.  Good luck and good learning".

And BCCd the Chair and the Continuing Ed Dean.

Ya' gotta' love it. I swear- nobody reads the syllabus/announcements.

FishProf

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on June 14, 2022, 12:49:36 PM

There was even a syllabus quiz and the student answered 3 different questions addressing due dates, correctly!

clean

QuoteThere was even a syllabus quiz and the student answered 3 different questions addressing due dates, correctly!

Maybe we should refer this to the thread on cheating!  Perhaps (s)/he was 'helped' with the syllabus quiz answers!
"The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am"  Darth Vader

Puget

I have two ghost students with excused incompletes-- all work is due by tomorrow (hard university deadline). They have not responded to two reminders about this. How much you want to bet that they will (a) miss the deadline, and (b) send long pleading emails once their grade is entered with a 0 for their term paper (resulting in failing)?

Sometimes EIs work as intended when a student is just ill at the end of the semester or something, but often they are just giving them more rope. . .

Oh well, I did what I could and documented the hell out of it.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: FishProf on June 14, 2022, 01:05:28 PM
Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on June 14, 2022, 12:49:36 PM

There was even a syllabus quiz and the student answered 3 different questions addressing due dates, correctly!

Good Lord! I know how frustrating it is. Sheesh!

AmLitHist

Today is the registrar's non-attendance withdrawal date--after 2:30, 9 will be purged from my two online sections.  I also had 4 already withdraw from one of the sections (likely scared off by the syllabus/schedule/pace of work), so that brings me to 13 drops among my original 50 enrolled students--26%, before I even started grading and could be called "mean" or be told that my classes are too haaaaaard. 

Less grading for me.  (Piss-poor attitude, I guess, but it is what it is.)

fishbrains

Quote from: FishProf on June 13, 2022, 08:13:40 AM
I just sent an announcement to my summer class letting them know there are only 3 weeks left.

One student, who is on track to pass, thanked me.
One student, who is not on track, but has dome SOME of the coursework, emailed to promise to do better.

aaaaaand, the ghost student, who did the syllabus quiz, and NOTHING ELSE, has emailed demanding a f2f meeting to discuss why he is being treated unfairly in the course.

The online course. 
The asynchronous one. 
The one with all the material available on day one.

Treated unfairly.

I wish he had stayed a ghost.

We should be allowed to simply email back "Bruh, wtf?" a minimum of three times a semester to indicate to a student that they are about to screw up or have just screwed up big-time. Kind of a code phrase to prompt them into seeking a second opinion before proceeding.

Just my opinion.
I wish I could find a way to show people how much I love them, despite all my words and actions. ~ Maria Bamford

Puget

Quote from: Puget on June 14, 2022, 02:38:14 PM
I have two ghost students with excused incompletes-- all work is due by tomorrow (hard university deadline). They have not responded to two reminders about this. How much you want to bet that they will (a) miss the deadline, and (b) send long pleading emails once their grade is entered with a 0 for their term paper (resulting in failing)?

Sometimes EIs work as intended when a student is just ill at the end of the semester or something, but often they are just giving them more rope. . .

Oh well, I did what I could and documented the hell out of it.

I'm happy to report I was wrong-- they did submit their papers, albeit at exactly midnight on the last day to do so. I haven't looked at them yet, so verdict is still out on whether they will be passing.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

evil_physics_witchcraft

Quote from: fishbrains on June 17, 2022, 04:46:03 AM
I just sent an announcement to my summer class letting them know there are only 3 weeks left.

One student, who is not on track, but has dome SOME of the coursework, emailed to promise to do better.

aaaaaand, the ghost student, who did the syllabus quiz, and NOTHING ELSE, has emailed demanding a f2f meeting to discuss why he is being treated unfairly in the course.

The online course. 
The asynchronous one. 

Treated unfairly.

We should be allowed to simply email back "Bruh, wtf?" a minimum of three times a semester to indicate to a student that they are about to screw up or have just screwed up big-time. Kind of a code phrase to prompt them into seeking a second opinion before proceeding.

Just my opinion.

At least.

OneMoreYear

Quote from: evil_physics_witchcraft on June 17, 2022, 07:33:48 AM
Quote from: fishbrains on June 17, 2022, 04:46:03 AM

The online course. 
The asynchronous one. 

Treated unfairly.

Just my opinion.

At least.

3 times per student, right? I've got one that I could have sent that email 3x this week.