News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

Question about PD’s response

Started by research_prof, June 21, 2022, 10:30:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

research_prof

I inquired about an NSF proposal that has been pending for some time and the PD basically said she cannot say much, but I should hear back soon and that they are still working on recommending proposals for funding.

Any clue what this response could mean?

Puget

Probably just what is says. PDs/POs are always very careful not to say too much. Waiting is hard, but that's all you can do.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."
–Best Colorado Peak Hikes

research_prof

I understand that. Nevertheless, if they had no interest in funding a proposal, would not they have rejected it already?

Puget

Quote from: research_prof on June 21, 2022, 10:38:47 AM
I understand that. Nevertheless, if they had no interest in funding a proposal, would not they have rejected it already?

I don't know-- I'm an NIH person, not an NSF person, and I know they work differently. Hopefully someone more familiar with NSF can weigh in.

For NIH, you have between a very good and pretty good idea (depending on the institute) based on the percentile score if something is likely to get funded. But if you are on the edge, you really don't know until you know-- my R01 that was just funded had been in maybe yes/maybe no limbo since January. The PO provided us with some info along the way, but was very careful to never say it would be funded. Last word from him was that it was "on his wish list" (April), then another wait for the JIT request (May), then finally the NOA (June). The wheels turn slowly and mostly opaquely for the applicant-- frustrating but that's the game we must play.
"Never get separated from your lunch. Never get separated from your friends. Never climb up anything you can't climb down."

arcturus

I view this as an exercise in quantum mechanics. Until the official decision is posted, your proposal is in both the "funded" and "not-funded" states. The wavefunction collapses into one of these two states when the official decision is posted. As an exercise for the student: what does it mean in respect to these two states if the proposal is funded, but at a reduced level?

In all seriousness, there is nothing you can do but wait. While it is very frustrating, at this point in the fiscal year, no news is probably better news than actual news. POs will hold on to the "at the borderline" proposals for as long as possible, in case extra funds become available at the end of the fiscal year.

Ruralguy

It would be my guess, but just a guess, that they are perhaps looking to fund it if there is enough money, but won't if they are on a stricter budget. Or that can be "bs" and maybe they just rejected it and can't say anything (although I think you are right--that would be odd behavior).

mamselle

Are there any congressional budget-funding (gamesmanship) delays going on?

With all the attention to the hearings, it's possible some part of the funding process has been held up.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Puget

Quote from: mamselle on June 21, 2022, 12:09:14 PM
Are there any congressional budget-funding (gamesmanship) delays going on?

With all the attention to the hearings, it's possible some part of the funding process has been held up.

M.

They have their budgets- they have to decide how to spend them. This is normal-- wheels always turn slowly, especially if you are on the edge of viability.

research_prof

FYI: another proposal that was in the same category (submitted a long time ago) will be eventually rejected. The PD said it was deemed competitive, but they ran out of money.

Ruralguy

Then it sounds like this might be similar, but somewhat higher ranked, and thus maybe available for more funding, maybe?

research_prof

I am not sure about that. The two proposals were submitted to different programs, so I suppose these programs probably had different budgets.

fizzycist

Quote from: research_prof on June 21, 2022, 10:30:41 AM
I inquired about an NSF proposal that has been pending for some time and the PD basically said she cannot say much, but I should hear back soon and that they are still working on recommending proposals for funding.

Earlier in my career, I was super anxious about pending proposals and would email NSF POs as soon as 6 months passed. Most of the time I received a reply like you did. And these proposals were eventually: easily funded, barely funded, barely not funded, and clearly not fundable.

So I think you can safely ignore the comment and go back to anxiously waiting lol.

research_prof

Quote from: fizzycist on June 22, 2022, 12:49:18 PM

Earlier in my career, I was super anxious about pending proposals and would email NSF POs as soon as 6 months passed. Most of the time I received a reply like you did. And these proposals were eventually: easily funded, barely funded, barely not funded, and clearly not fundable.

So I think you can safely ignore the comment and go back to anxiously waiting lol.

That sounds rather broad... I was hoping for something more specific :-(

Volhiker78

Quote from: Puget on June 21, 2022, 10:58:14 AM
Quote from: research_prof on June 21, 2022, 10:38:47 AM

I don't know-- I'm an NIH person, not an NSF person, and I know they work differently. Hopefully someone more familiar with NSF can weigh in.

For NIH, you have between a very good and pretty good idea (depending on the institute) based on the percentile score if something is likely to get funded. But if you are on the edge, you really don't know until you know-- my R01 that was just funded had been in maybe yes/maybe no limbo since January. The PO provided us with some info along the way, but was very careful to never say it would be funded. Last word from him was that it was "on his wish list" (April), then another wait for the JIT request (May), then finally the NOA (June). The wheels turn slowly and mostly opaquely for the applicant-- frustrating but that's the game we must play.

Congratulations to you on your recent R01. 

mamselle

Quote from: research_prof on June 23, 2022, 08:25:12 AM
Quote from: fizzycist on June 22, 2022, 12:49:18 PM

That sounds rather broad... I was hoping for something more specific :-(

No Tea.Leaves.101 available.

Check this algorithm later...

Sorry...

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.