News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

July Research Thread

Started by Parasaurolophus, July 01, 2022, 07:33:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

Yea!!!!  Yea!!!!  Yea!!!!  Yea!!!!  Yea!!!!

Cool news!!!

Glad it's so positive and that your work is appreciated.

Yea!!!!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

darkstarrynight

Today I finished the second manuscript review this month and wrote a recommendation letter for a recent graduate. I had grand plans to work on my sabbatical project but got asked to join a zoom meeting and had left my laptop at home since I use the library's computers. I had to run home for that and it ended up being fine. I will go the library on Friday instead. The scholarly essay got desk rejected within 24 hours again, and when I wrote the editor explaining we were encouraged to submit it yesterday, I was informed that the graduate assistant for the journal was wrong about that?! The editor gave me some feedback and asked us to submit a revised version for a different section of the journal, but my coauthor is upset and we have too much else going on to rewrite the paper right now. Oh well.

Parasaurolophus

Today I'll go over Co-Authored Paper 1 and make any last changes, then start on the easiest book corrections.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Aww--DSN, no fun. Not fair.

Grumble (on your behalf).

Para--must feel good!! Have fun!!

Me: I contacted the journal editor to let her know the article was on-track, and was told they've extended the deadline by a month because of back-ups in last year's journal production.

So---more time to find that pesky birth family, at least, and I'll keep moving forward on it anyway.

Book review has some more notes to be incorporated, too.

Since my 11 AM student has apparently ghosted on me (rare for them) that's the agenda, right there, for the day.

Other student at 6:30 PM, so a good time to be had by all, all ''round.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on July 14, 2022, 07:30:02 AM
Today I'll go over Co-Authored Paper 1 and make any last changes, then start on the easiest book corrections.

Done both. Any remaining time, should I have any, will go towards... I know not what. Something. I guess I should give the entire book a once-over, so I could start that. Or maybe I should have another look at the recently rejected co-authored paper.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

Suppose I'll continue going over the book today. Might make a start on one of the slightly larger revisions.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Teaching day, one student down, and now theory class prep to do after lunch.

At least they're going to start a fun electronica composition and I'm looking forward to applying my interests (which started with a 1974 electronic music class at Ohio State when we were still cutting and splicing tape loops and creating musique concrete manipulations for our reel-to-reel compositions....) to SoundTrap and MuseScore and the like.

I also emailed myself a number of article references and book review points to check out/work on tomorrow, so after my swan-heron-walk (and errands) in the AM I'll have the whole rest of the day to work on that.

Lunch now.

M.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on July 15, 2022, 07:08:13 AM
Suppose I'll continue going over the book today. Might make a start on one of the slightly larger revisions.

Sprinted through 10% of the book.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Quote from: mamselle on July 15, 2022, 08:56:02 AM
At least they're going to start a fun electronica composition and I'm looking forward to applying my interests (which started with a 1974 electronic music class at Ohio State when we were still cutting and splicing tape loops and creating musique concrete manipulations for our reel-to-reel compositions....) to SoundTrap and MuseScore and the like.

My face should be very red.

They participated very well in the elementary discussions of layering, sound overlap, etc., and were properly respectful of my description of where the word "loop" actually comes from, etc.

Then the 10-year-old played 3 of his compositions in GarageBand that used all the stuff I had talked about and then some.

The 14-year-old hasn't done any work in GB, but could analyze all the pieces I played for them because they're all from games he's played and he knows which level of which game each one comes from. (The other 14-year-old has already done some of the work we did today, but had to be absent.)

I acknowledged their sweetly un-superior superiority (HOW did they keep a straight face when I was going into such detail about the basics, which they clearly already knew????) and we ended with the agreement that we'll work together on a group piece, which was the plan all along.

Clearly, this teacher needs to do her homework...

;--}

M.

Parasaurolophus

More reviewing of my book when time allows.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Ok, whole day dedicated to the book review.

Finish a draft, go over for tone and references, send to a friend whose eyes will trap any infelicitous phrases, or observations, revise, and let sit for a day. Come back Monday, see if anything in want of change, and....send it out.

M.

darkstarrynight

Not much has been going on because I got sick last week and then my a/c broke when it was over 100 outside. It got repaired yesterday but took almost into the middle of the night to cool down after a being out two days. Being sick and hot is not a great combination. I cancelled a lot of plans so I am just trying to get better. I am hopeful next week I can work on my manuscript revision and sabbatical project. This is why my "never a dull moment" phrase under my name makes sense!

mamselle

Here's hoping you get a few dull moments that make you feel more like yourself again....

I did get more done on the review--not a done draft, but a couple of good paragraphs and more notes.

And I got more notes entered in the article draft.

So there's that, too.

Dinner now.

M.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on July 16, 2022, 06:24:42 AM
More reviewing of my book when time allows.

Copy edited another 16% of it.
I know it's a genus.

Parasaurolophus

More of the book today. Maybe also the final citation check for my book review.
I know it's a genus.