News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

July Research Thread

Started by Parasaurolophus, July 01, 2022, 07:33:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

I'll aim for 10-12% more today. At this rate, I should be done, minus a slightly more time-consuming correction, by Tuesday.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

I got an interesting if very misguided email about something I wrote a long time ago.

Just now finishing the reply, which it was important to word carefully, in order to set a very confused record straight.

It actually reminded me of a project I really should do to repair some omissions in my XHDD files, which didn't transfer some earlier materials over in the last migration. (If I were the Secret Service, that wouldn't have happened....)

Lunch now, then all the stuff I was going to do earlier: more on the review, another paragraph on Article B.

Student at 6:30 PM.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on July 21, 2022, 08:30:25 AM
I'll aim for 10-12% more today. At this rate, I should be done, minus a slightly more time-consuming correction, by Tuesday.

10%!
I know it's a genus.

ergative

Working on replicating an analysis from 2014. It should be reasonably simple, except nowhere, in all the OSF files, can I find a straightforward document that tells me the exact meaning of each column and how the data coding works. So now I have to guess at the difference between 'matched_d' and 'final_outcome_matched_d' and 'sum_matched' and everything seems to be 0s and 1s that don't align with each other in any meaningful way. Wildly frustrating! I don't care how brilliant your equilibrium model is, authors, if I can't make sense of the raw data that went into it!

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Quote from: ergative on July 22, 2022, 03:34:59 AM
Working on replicating an analysis from 2014. It should be reasonably simple, except nowhere, in all the OSF files, can I find a straightforward document that tells me the exact meaning of each column and how the data coding works. So now I have to guess at the difference between 'matched_d' and 'final_outcome_matched_d' and 'sum_matched' and everything seems to be 0s and 1s that don't align with each other in any meaningful way. Wildly frustrating! I don't care how brilliant your equilibrium model is, authors, if I can't make sense of the raw data that went into it!

Reminds me of the time my boss handed me an old, mimeographed paper from his grad-school days (which were, in fact, rather illustrious: he had himself parachuted into a tropical river with an inflatable canoe for a month, and ended up with 6 tree species discoveries to his name) to be re-worked for that part of the world, since no-one had yet gone there again.

I had to measure the (carefully hand-drawn) graphs, re-plot the points in Excel, and check all the results against the tables he found (later, after all that was done...ahem) and then label the axes based on his texts, etc.

It WAS kinda cool when it came out right, but, oh, brother!!

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Today was hot and teaching took all my time and the few braincells that hadn't fried in the hear.

Earlier, cooler start tomorrow...

M.

Parasaurolophus

I'd like to manage 10% again, but I suspect I may not have the time to get there today.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

More work done, and continuing, on the review.

M.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on July 23, 2022, 10:44:13 AM
I'd like to manage 10% again, but I suspect I may not have the time to get there today.

Whew, made it!
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Aiming to round the bend on the review. Got several observations worded on my phone (they struck too hot and too late to open the laptop), to be added in later today.

M.

Parasaurolophus

I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Go, para, go!!

Getting started now...lunch in a bit and more after that.

M.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on July 24, 2022, 06:58:33 AM
Last 10% today.

Done my copy editing run-through. A few last fixes will need to be made tomorrow (and maybe also Tuesday).
I know it's a genus.