Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

July Research Thread

Started by Parasaurolophus, July 01, 2022, 07:33:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on July 05, 2022, 07:54:16 AM
Things to make progress on (some of these will spill into August or beyond):

• Paper #1 with colleague (ball is currently in colleague's court)
  • Paper #2 with colleague (ball is currently in colleague's court)
  • Paper #3 with colleagues
  • Paper #4 (solo)
  • IRB for project
  • IRB for other project
  • Decide whether to pursue paper #5 with colleague (ball is in my court, but I'm not sure if there is a "there there" and colleague is too busy to take the lead)

A full (and very rough) draft of paper #4 is complete. I've made some progress on one of the other papers with my colleague as well. I'm hoping to make some progress on Paper #3 this week before taking off for a long weekend.

Parasaurolophus

I have two items in the book to correct. It'd be nice to finish both today, but I'll settle for just one if necessary.

In other news, the conference panel I organized has received travel funding for two of the participants, which is fab.
I know it's a genus.

ergative

I finished a thing at the very last minute today, which I was not sure I would be able to finish in time. It's one of those huge crowd-sourced massive replication projects, which I care deeply about contributing to, so I was really keen to do my bit, but I planned my time very badly. But it's ok! I got it done!

mamselle

Yea!

and

Yea!

I'm in an air-conditioned space while kitty-sitting and find that concentration is improving remarkably.

It also helps that there are no upstairs neighbors running their laundry machines (washer AND dryer) over my head at all hours.

Need to finish the review in the next two days. I think that's on track.

Then Article B goes back to the top again, and if my friend sends back their comments on Article A, I can make revisions and send that in as well.

Progress, maybe, a step at a time....

M. 
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

darkstarrynight

I worked on my sabbatical project in the library for a couple of hours today. I plan to return Wednesday to keep working on it!

ergative

mamselle

Umm....yes.

I don't sit ON them, you understand, I'm just here to feed them and keep them socialized.

They got very people-shy during lockdown and are just now letting me get within 3 feet (no petting, scritches, or--Basta forbid--holding, yet).

I get to sit on the sofa in an air-conditioned area with my laptop and work on my stuff.

Sorry--did I say something wrong?

;--}

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Parasaurolophus

Only had an hour to work, but I did one of the tasks and made a start on the other. It might take a little longer than I thought, though, because it requires me to read something very long first.
I know it's a genus.

ergative

Quote from: mamselle on July 25, 2022, 01:30:59 PM
Umm....yes.

I don't sit ON them, you understand, I'm just here to feed them and keep them socialized.

They got very people-shy during lockdown and are just now letting me get within 3 feet (no petting, scritches, or--Basta forbid--holding, yet).

I get to sit on the sofa in an air-conditioned area with my laptop and work on my stuff.

Sorry--did I say something wrong?

;--}

M.

No, not at all! Sorry, I should have included some of these to make it clear that my reaction was a delighted squee rather than a horrified gasp:😻😻😻😻😻😻

mamselle

Ah...yes.

Best of both.

;--》

M.

Parasaurolophus

We'll see how far I get today. Finishing would be nice, but I suspect it'll be tomorrow or Thursday instead.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

More done on the review.

Lunch.

More after that.

Then I have to sit with a friendly-reader's preliminary response to Article A, received last night, which puzzles me.

Did you read the prompt I sent? Did you see where they already did the work you're suggesting I should do? Are we in the same field?

M.

darkstarrynight

Today I received the exciting news that I was selected as a research fellow for an organization, which involves working on a project team that culminates at a day-long retreat before the conference with leaders in the field in that location to present our findings. It comes with a stipend too! I am excited to be selected and participate!

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: darkstarrynight on July 26, 2022, 04:15:28 PM
Today I received the exciting news that I was selected as a research fellow for an organization, which involves working on a project team that culminates at a day-long retreat before the conference with leaders in the field in that location to present our findings. It comes with a stipend too! I am excited to be selected and participate!

Wow, congrats!

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on July 26, 2022, 08:30:06 AM
We'll see how far I get today. Finishing would be nice, but I suspect it'll be tomorrow or Thursday instead.

Done! Just gotta finish the final checksums tomorrow, and I'll send it off.
I know it's a genus.

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on July 05, 2022, 07:54:16 AM
Things to make progress on (some of these will spill into August or beyond):

• Paper #1 with colleague (ball is currently in colleague's court)
  • Paper #2 with colleague (ball is currently in colleague's court)
  • Paper #3 with colleagues
  • Paper #4 (solo)
  • IRB for project
  • IRB for other project
  • Decide whether to pursue paper #5 with colleague (ball is in my court, but I'm not sure if there is a "there there" and colleague is too busy to take the lead)

I made a bit of progress on paper #3 today. I'll send it to my colleagues tomorrow and they can each take a shot at it - hopefully will be off my desk for a bit.