News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

July Research Thread

Started by Parasaurolophus, July 01, 2022, 07:33:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mamselle

Untangling a chronological knot (I think) in the book I'm reviewing-I think there's an error, but want to be sure before I say so.

Then I can finish it up.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

ergative

Research assistant did quite well for his degree of training, but not quite as well as I would have liked, so I still need to check all his work. Still, it has saved me some degree of time.

I'm trying to line up speakers to record the rest of my stimuli, but they keep coming down with covid, darnit.

Parasaurolophus

Gonna finish up the checksums for the book and send it. Then work on reading a friend's draft paper.
I know it's a genus.

ergative

Finished checking all the work my RA did. Took me all day and it's about 1/4 of the work. I'm going to be seeing that software interface in my dreams tonight.

mamselle

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on July 27, 2022, 08:14:28 AM
Gonna finish up the checksums for the book and send it. Then work on reading a friend's draft paper.

Does one have a coming-out party for a completed book, pre-publication?

Something like a reveal party?

Can you order balloons with confetti the color of the dust cover?

Distribute sparklers?

Anyway,  congrats!

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

darkstarrynight

Last night I had a nice optional virtual gathering with my summer students. They were very encouraging about submitting a book proposal related to course topics, so I intend to work on that next month and incorporate them into the project if they wish.

Today I spent time in the library on sabbatical project activities. I am making reasonable progress but seem to "time out" brain-wise after a certain point, so I think I need at least six more trips to the library before I will be done with the preparation phase of the project. I blocked them in my calendar for the coming weeks.

mamselle

Quote from: mamselle on July 26, 2022, 09:06:51 PM
Untangling a chronological knot (I think) in the book I'm reviewing-I think there's an error, but want to be sure before I say so.

Then I can finish it up.

M.

Oh, joy. I hate it when I'm right.

Not only are there chronological problems, but they affect the causality and some of the conclusions. This is going to be a hairball, not because I have to fix them all--I know I don't--but because I need to point them out diplomatically, concisely, and clearly.

They're not really apparent until one gets to the end and figures out the issues; glad I still have time to do so.

M.

Parasaurolophus

Both done, then started on one of two REB supplementary training module things.

Quote from: mamselle on July 27, 2022, 10:04:32 AM

Does one have a coming-out party for a completed book, pre-publication?

Something like a reveal party?

Can you order balloons with confetti the color of the dust cover?

Distribute sparklers?

Anyway,  congrats!

M.

Thanks!

Probably one has one of those parties where all your friends show up and then get pressured into buying whatever product is on display? Like a tupperware party?
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Right!

Like--Pre-orders for the book at a slight discount?

...(oops)....

My other note to log in: Article A's critique was puzzling but I had to sit with it a bit to figure out how to respond to my friend who read it and seemed to have missed the point.

I sent the draft answer with my questions to another reliable friend, who just wrote back and said it was reasonably put, did not sound defensive, etc.

So I sent that.

Thank goodness for reliable friends in caring places!

At some point Article B will come back under the microscope, but I need to go feed kitties and do dinner and think more about Article A on the way over.

So, not too bad after all...and I saw the heron this AM, too.

M. 

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: mamselle on July 27, 2022, 04:07:44 PM
Right!

Like--Pre-orders for the book at a slight discount?

...(oops)....

Or perhaps a markup!

Not expecting to have much time today, but I'll start work on another new paper.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

More good work done on the review and I've written the editor to let them know I'm aware of the due-date and will deliver on time.

Not too bad.

Dinner, gotta go feed a kitty now.

M.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on July 28, 2022, 08:03:18 AM

Not expecting to have much time today, but I'll start work on another new paper.

850 words of a fun new paper.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

DSN, forgot to say, that's a cool project!

I helped assemble something like that, once : the students all sent in their papers, I formatted them so they'd look good together, and in this less formal case, we desktop published it with a required cover (it was a granted project and the agency sent an example--but not the template--so I had the fun of reverse-engineering ours to match....!)

The students were so proud of the results, and of themselves. They were all from different national backgrounds, too, so it represented something larger than themselves, that their experiences were being taken seriously as a useful scholarly contribution to their field (education policy, in this case).

All good thoughts!

M.

Parasaurolophus

Visiting relative for a weekish, so time is constrained. But I'll put some work into that new paper today.
I know it's a genus.

darkstarrynight

Quote from: mamselle on July 28, 2022, 06:59:24 PM
DSN, forgot to say, that's a cool project!

I helped assemble something like that, once : the students all sent in their papers, I formatted them so they'd look good together, and in this less formal case, we desktop published it with a required cover (it was a granted project and the agency sent an example--but not the template--so I had the fun of reverse-engineering ours to match....!)

The students were so proud of the results, and of themselves. They were all from different national backgrounds, too, so it represented something larger than themselves, that their experiences were being taken seriously as a useful scholarly contribution to their field (education policy, in this case).

All good thoughts!

M.

That is amazing, mamselle! Thanks for sharing. It is motivating as I think further about the book proposal.

Today I went to the library but left my caffeinated beverage in my car, which made it hard to stay in there long. I still got a decent amount of work done on the sabbatical project.