News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

IHE: Survey: More Than Half Plan to Leave Higher Ed

Started by Wahoo Redux, July 26, 2022, 09:39:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wahoo Redux

More Than Half of Higher Ed Workers Plan to Leave

According to the survey, released yesterday, 57.2 percent of respondents were somewhat likely (22.3 percent), likely (12.5 percent) or very likely (22.4 percent) to seek work elsewhere within the next year. That number jumped 14 percent since last year, when 43 percent reported that they planned to leave their jobs within the next 12 months.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

mamselle

(Meant wryly):

Is this the same 14% of the population that responded in the other thread?

http://thefora.org/index.php?topic=3040.0;topicseen

Are they all polling the same people?

Are they all listening to the same pundits/politicians/demagogues?

Just an observation...

M. 
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

dismalist

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on July 26, 2022, 09:39:31 AM
More Than Half of Higher Ed Workers Plan to Leave

According to the survey, released yesterday, 57.2 percent of respondents were somewhat likely (22.3 percent), likely (12.5 percent) or very likely (22.4 percent) to seek work elsewhere within the next year. That number jumped 14 percent since last year, when 43 percent reported that they planned to leave their jobs within the next 12 months.

Lovely! Market working.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

kaysixteen

Well, if they want to leave, there are many of us which would be pleased to grab up their jobs before they change their minds.

Hibush

This was a survey of staff, not faculty and instructors.

Interestingly, 77% thought they could work 100% remotely and fulfill their job duties. If that were followed up on, many schools could cut their physical footprint considerably.

artalot

We are definitely bleeding staff and having trouble filling staff positions at my uni. It boils down to pay. Other area unis have called up some of our people and poached them. I say, good for them. We pay well below any kind of market rate and we cut a lot of staff during the pandemic, so most staff are doing the job of at least 1.5 people now.
As for the work from home, some jobs like marketing/communications can be mostly done from home. I suspect a lot of others like advising could technically be done from home, but that students benefit from interacting with a person rather than a screen.

marshwiggle

Quote from: Hibush on July 26, 2022, 06:15:20 PM
This was a survey of staff, not faculty and instructors.

Interestingly, 77% thought they could work 100% remotely and fulfill their job duties. If that were followed up on, many schools could cut their physical footprint considerably.

Even though I run labs, which obviously requires being in-person when the labs are in-person, all of the administrative parts of my job were much easier to get done remotely. I'd guess for many (most?) jobs that don't involve manual labour, some portion of the job would be easy to do remotely.
It takes so little to be above average.

mamselle

Because of all the stuff that's on my resume, I get barraged by such position postings.

I look at them and say, "Well, you didn't read the note on the top of my resume that says, 'Remote Only,' and you misspelled three words in the opening line, so you don't meet the grade to start with, despite the fact that you do seem to have gotten the memo about the proper pay grades to offer. Sorry."

Or, I see the list of 30 items in the job description and think, "Yep, that sounds about right, that's what I'd expect, but I've been there, done that, and got the ceramic mug with the date of the school's closing on it to prove it. I don't need to do all that again, now, and definitely not for the same amount you were offering when I did that job 20 years ago."

Or I think, "I remember this place (a lot of them have telling little departmental names or identifiable dedicated expense reporting software to make it easy to guess or Google where they are, if I feel like it) and I know exactly why this position is again vacant for the 4th time this year. No way, no how." 

Or, "You guys were a pain to work for then, and I have reliable input that suggests it's only gotten worse. In fact, working for you was like putting a cap on my daily income, and I make more doing private teaching, and the occasional editing or grantwriting job, so I'll stick with those for now."

Or, "The people I loved working for here are all gone, and I'm not feeling like starting all over with a new batch, much fun as it would be. You guys paid really well then, and you're paying even better now (many are not, and some never did) so if it were anyone, it could be you, but see above; I don't have to go out to teach from home, I spend an hour in the AM walking along the river and photographing the birds, and I have time to do my writing besides. So, much love, but no."

Sic transit vocational interest.

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.