News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

IHE: Survey: Public Support For Higher Ed is Wobbling

Started by Wahoo Redux, July 26, 2022, 09:42:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wahoo Redux

Survey: Conflicting Views of Higher Education

While Americans continue to believe in the overall value of higher education, the share who say that colleges and universities are having a positive effect "on the way things are going in this country today" has declined by 14 percentage points since 2020, according to a new survey from New America.
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

dismalist

Quote from: Wahoo Redux on July 26, 2022, 09:42:50 AM
Survey: Conflicting Views of Higher Education

While Americans continue to believe in the overall value of higher education, the share who say that colleges and universities are having a positive effect "on the way things are going in this country today" has declined by 14 percentage points since 2020, according to a new survey from New America.

The survey questions are very vague. The whole thing seems another effort to increase public funding for higher ed.

What struck me is that there aren't large political affiliation differences about the value of higher ed, but rather about the finance.

The eternal struggle over resources ... , Act 2407.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

apl68

I would guess that a lot of this skepticism is driven by the numerous examples of people who tried higher ed and had bad experiences with it.  A lot of people got pushed into trying higher ed some years back who really didn't need to be there.  And of course a lot of people got scammed by for-profit schools and lost a lot of money, and, fair or not, probably developed a dislike of higher ed in general as a result.  I've mentioned before that our local high school guidance counselor really tries to encourage students who have clearly shown little interest in and aptitude for formal education into other career directions.
For our light affliction, which is only for a moment, works for us a far greater and eternal weight of glory.  We look not at the things we can see, but at those we can't.  For the things we can see are temporary, but those we can't see are eternal.