News:

Welcome to the new (and now only) Fora!

Main Menu

August research thread

Started by sinenomine, August 01, 2022, 04:26:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parasaurolophus

I got and accepted two new referee requests this morning, so I'll make a start on one of those today, and I suppose I'll continue reading the stupid book.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Excelsior...empathy over here for reviewing "stuff ya don't even wanna read"....it does end.

I'm moving out of my kitty-care place today--not far, but the change of scene has been nice.

I'm still hoping to get a couple hours' editing in before I leave; I'm nearly packed (not much) and ready to go, just need to be sure my people got out of Amsterdam ok.

Article B, last week, here we go!

M.
Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

darkstarrynight

I finished up everything in the library (hopefully) today, and got another book for the book proposal (a competitor in the broader field).

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on August 23, 2022, 08:57:51 AM
I got and accepted two new referee requests this morning, so I'll make a start on one of those today, and I suppose I'll continue reading the stupid book.

Read one of the papers (it's okay--a good idea, middling execution) and read some of the book. It was slightly less painful than the last chunk.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Got the work done, back home, more tomorrow.

M.

Reprove not a scorner, lest they hate thee: rebuke the wise, and they will love thee.

Give instruction to the wise, and they will be yet wiser: teach the just, and they will increase in learning.

Parasaurolophus

I'll definitely read more (either the other paper I'm refereeing, or the book), but I'd like to write a bit of something, too. I've got a fair few commitments coming up in 2023...
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Yikes, 2023 ALREADY?

So....that's around the corner, hunh??

[ x] Tiny bit of editing for my friendly-reader friend, since they looked at my piece. - 4 pages out of 29 (it was shorter last week...hmm..)

[  ] Final edit rounds on Article B, due in one week.

[  ]A [  ]C  Maybe a tiny look at A and C, just for refreshment, at some point, but nothing else, and no students until Friday, so time to make hay while I can.

M.

Parasaurolophus

Ugh, I know. I'm committed to two chapters in collections, and I'd like to send something in for two special issies, then there's this new book I want to write and all these other paper projects I have, and...

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on August 24, 2022, 07:05:32 AM
I'll definitely read more (either the other paper I'm refereeing, or the book), but I'd like to write a bit of something, too. I've got a fair few commitments coming up in 2023...

Read my quota from the book, plus two thirds of the second paper I'm refereeing. No time to write, I'm afraid. Tomorrow, I hope.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Tomorrow: 4 more pages to edit, plus, on B

Fix highlit section and check guidelines

Read for flow and check notes and bib.

M.

Parasaurolophus

I've got a meeting later, so I'll write a bit in the morning, read my quota in the afternoon.
I know it's a genus.

mamselle

Have edited 11 out of 25 pages for my friend, stopping for now.

Next up (after lunch) a major tear-in to Article B.

No plans to look at A or C today at all, unless I need a break from B at some point.

M.

Parasaurolophus

Quote from: Parasaurolophus on August 25, 2022, 07:27:14 AM
I've got a meeting later, so I'll write a bit in the morning, read my quota in the afternoon.

Wrote 400 for a promised chapter, read my quota, finished reading for the second referee report.
I know it's a genus.

Sun_Worshiper

Quote from: Sun_Worshiper on August 01, 2022, 11:10:29 AM
August goals:

• Make progress on finalizing paper #1 (solo) and, if possible, get it to a journal
  • Make progress on paper #2 with colleague
  • Make progress on paper #3 with colleagues
  • Make progress on paper #4 with colleague, which we are supposed to present at a conference in mid or late Sept (ball is in colleague's court at the moment)
  • Decide whether to pursue paper #5 with colleague or take it off my list for a while (maybe forever)
  • Decide whether to abandon paper #6 with colleague, which has been rejected from many journals and which my colleague is apathetic about
  • Revise and submit paper #6 with colleague to journal - to be abandoned if this submission does not work out
  • Revise and submit paper #7 with colleague to new journal
  • Revise and submit paper #8 with colleagues to new journal
  • Revise paper #9 for resubmission

I received a R&R yesterday, so adding that to my list. This is my first success with a journal in what feels like an eternity (really more like a year) and I like the paper, so excited to make the revisions. However, I'm swamped with teaching and other research projects so I probably won't get started on revisions until September.

mamselle

Quote from: mamselle on August 25, 2022, 10:38:22 AM
Have edited 11 out of 25 pages for my friend, stopping for now.

Next up (after lunch) a major tear-in to Article B.

No plans to look at A or C today at all, unless I need a break from B at some point.

M.

Re-did a section in B.

Smoother, needs distilling, tomorrow.

M.

Parasaurolophus

I suppose I'll start writing one of those reports. Then read my quota.
I know it's a genus.