NBC: Why Americans are increasingly dubious about going to college

Started by Wahoo Redux, August 10, 2022, 11:17:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wahoo Redux

Eh, I think we've run out of things to say.

Maybe someone else will say something smart.

The best ranked schools in the world are all either American or British.  And they all cost bank!!

https://www.universityrankings.ch/en

Ya get what ya pay for, Big-D.

We rented a truck and a semi to go
Travel down the long and the winding road
Look on the map, I think we've been there before
Close up the doors, let's roll once more
Cop's on the corner, look he's starting to write
Well, I don't need no ticket so I screamed out of sight
Drove so fast that my eyes can't see
Look in the mirror, is he still following me?
Let it roll down the highway
Roll, roll
Look at the sign, we're in the wrong place
Move out boys and let's get ready to race
Four fifty-four's coming over the hill
The man on patrol is gonna give us a bill
The time's real short, you know the distance is long
I'd like to have a jet but it's not in the song
Climb back in the cab, cross your fingers for luck
We gotta keep moving if we're going to make a buck
Roll
Let it roll
Let it roll
Let it roll
Let it roll
Roll, roll, roll
Down the highway
Roll, roll, roll
Roll, roll, roll
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

jimbogumbo

Quote from: dismalist on August 25, 2022, 08:21:11 AM

Lack of education in rural areas? Hell, wherever you are, you gotta cross railroad tracks just to take out the trash. Commute.

Right! Just take your little or no money and move from where the cheap housing and poor educational opportunities are and move to the places where the education is good but you can't afford to live.

dismalist

Quote from: jimbogumbo on August 25, 2022, 12:24:17 PM

Lack of education in rural areas? Hell, wherever you are, you gotta cross railroad tracks just to take out the trash. Commute.

Right! Just take your little or no money and move from where the cheap housing and poor educational opportunities are and move to the places where the education is good but you can't afford to live.

I was talking about Germany, not Wyoming.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

dismalist

Quote from: dismalist on August 25, 2022, 12:26:27 PM

And in any case, if there's no railroad, borrow to move to college.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

jimbogumbo

Quote from: dismalist on August 25, 2022, 12:32:11 PM

Well, I was talking about the rural US, as implied in the thread title. At any rate, what would they do if you were in charge? No scholarships, no financial aid, higher interest rates? Or have I completely misunderstood candidate dismalist's platform?

dismalist

Quote from: jimbogumbo on August 25, 2022, 12:43:04 PM
Quote from: dismalist on August 25, 2022, 12:32:11 PM

Well, I was talking about the rural US, as implied in the thread title. At any rate, what would they do if you were in charge? No scholarships, no financial aid, higher interest rates? Or have I completely misunderstood candidate dismalist's platform?

Government supports useful research, the public good in education. Any private body, including universities, can give whatever scholarships and tuition discounts they want and charge whatever they want. Borrowing at commercial rates. Bankruptcy explicitly allowed.

State governments get out of producing education.

State governments and even the Feds give money to the poor. The poor decide what to do with that money.

My guess is that our education system would shrink, though not by one hell of a lot, but that the type of education offered and engaged in would be different.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

dismalist

Quote from: jimbogumbo on August 25, 2022, 04:16:59 PM
Part of the problem: https://www.axios.com/2022/08/25/teacher-pay-college-graduates-inflation-report

I'm sorry, jimbo, but the data use is spurious. From the summary of data use down the link:

QuoteWe focus on weekly wages, which avoids comparisons of weekly hours worked or length of the work year (i.e., the "summers off" issue for teachers) between teachers and other college graduates.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

jimbogumbo

Quote from: dismalist on August 25, 2022, 04:29:25 PM
Part of the problem: https://www.axios.com/2022/08/25/teacher-pay-college-graduates-inflation-report

I'm sorry, jimbo, but the data use is spurious. From the summary of data use down the link:

QuoteWe focus on weekly wages, which avoids comparisons of weekly hours worked or length of the work year (i.e., the "summers off" issue for teachers) between teachers and other college graduates.

I'm sorry, but the rate of change is not. Or are you assuming that other college grads are now working way more hours per week than previously? And that's why their weekly pay went up by comparison?

I think that assertion would be foolish.

Wahoo Redux

Sometimes we have to accept facts that we don't like, Big-D.

No "alternative facts" on The Fora if we can help it.   
Come, fill the Cup, and in the fire of Spring
Your Winter-garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To flutter--and the Bird is on the Wing.

dismalist

Quote from: jimbogumbo on August 25, 2022, 05:26:43 PM

I'm sorry, but the rate of change is not. Or are you assuming that other college grads are now working way more hours per week than previously? And that's why their weekly pay went up by comparison?

I think that assertion would be foolish.

My point is that the two lines would be a lot closer together if pay were measured properly. And anyway, why would one assume that those comprising "all other" has stayed the same.

Is your point that all pay must be the same, or that the rate of increase must be the same, or anything like that?

Look, if things are so tough, why are people going into teaching?

There must be some room for individual choice in this world.
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

jimbogumbo

Of course all pay should not be the same. Since they are comparing what are almost exclusively salaried positions all things being equal I would expect the slopes for pay per week to be parallel. If anything, teacher pay is worse in every state as they are working more weeks per year.

What would you prefer to see so that you would consider the compensation comparisons to be measured properly?

pgher

dismalist

Quote from: pgher on August 25, 2022, 07:31:35 PM
I found this Freakonomics podcast about public transit to be illuminating.

Transit is one of those capacity constrained public goods. It's efficient to charge for this service.

The rest is redistribution. Poverty is lack of money. To alleviate poverty, give the poor money.

More money for education, more for transit. No, more for me! :-)

[The podcast is quite bad, I think, except here and there.]
That's not even wrong!
--Wolfgang Pauli

jimbogumbo

Quote from: dismalist on August 25, 2022, 07:41:36 PM
Quote from: pgher on August 25, 2022, 07:31:35 PM
I found this Freakonomics podcast about public transit to be illuminating.

Transit is one of those capacity constrained public goods. It's efficient to charge for this service.

The rest is redistribution. Poverty is lack of money. To alleviate poverty, give the poor money.

More money for education, more for transit. No, more for me! :-)

[The podcast is quite bad, I think, except here and there.]

Back to German: https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/germany-9-euro-ticket-ending/index.html